Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,260 Times in 3,629 Posts
Default Pats & Belicheat Sued For $184 Million For Cheating

Someone finally has the courage to ask the courts to provide meaningful punishment to known cheaters.

A New York Jets season-ticket holder filed a class-action lawsuit Friday against the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick for "deceiving customers."

The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Newark, N.J., by Carl Mayer of Princeton Township, N.J., stems from the Patriots being caught illegally videotaping signals from Jets coaches in New England's 38-14 season-opening win Sept. 9.

"They violated the integrity of the game," Mayer's attorney, Bruce Afran, told the Associated Press. "This is a way of punishing Belichick and the Patriots."

Mayer, 48, is seeking more than $184 million in damages for Jets ticket holders. ...

They were deceiving customers," Mayer said. "You can't deceive customers."

The lawsuit maintained that because other teams found illegal videotaping by the defendants, Jets ticket holders should be compensated for all games played in Giants Stadium between the Jets and Patriots since Belichick became head coach in 2000.

The two calculated that because customers paid $61.6 million to watch eight "fraudulent" games, they're entitled to triple that amount -- or $184.8 million -- in compensation under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act and the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act.

"How many times have the Patriots done this? We find it hard to believe they did it just once," Mayer said. "We just want to get to the truth of the matter of what the Patriots did to the Jets. I think the ticket holders are genuinely concerned about it. This is a type of misrepresentation."

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined to comment on the lawsuit.

http://www.sportsline.com/print/nfl/story/10378129

Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Pats & Belicheat Sued For $184 Million For Cheating

You read about this guy?

Total lionel hutz character.

This client isn't a 'customer' of the Patriots, i'd expect a little more from you in this area, Dan.

You want something with more substance than a case Judge Judy should be trying?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...728#post300728

Party time is over.

You can go back to fighting for the scraps.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
You read about this guy?

Total lionel hutz character.

This client isn't a 'customer' of the Patriots, i'd expect a little more from you in this area, Dan.

You want something with more substance than a case Judge Judy should be trying?

Party time is over.

So I guess someone is still a little touchy about the recent unpleasantness?

The fact I opened the post with a crack someone about having the "courage" to file the lawsuit and that I posted the laugh icon at the end of the post presumably would indicate I think the lawsuit is preposterous. I probably have a little more up close and personal experience in being able to detect a frivolous lawsuit than you do but if a sarcastic post prompts another snarky response from you so be it.

At least Pats lackey Bill Simmons recognizes that while Pats fans are thrilled about this potentially legendary season the cheating cloud isn't going away and if it happened to a big rival of his team he would be firing away:

The rest of the country? Not as excited. And that's the real shame of CameraGate -- it's going to completely overshadow the Federer/Tiger/M.J. dynamic of this '07 Pats season. I don't blame non-Pats fans for pooh-poohing everything that happened and making the cheater jokes, only because I'd be gleefully doing the same thing if this were the Colts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...8&sportCat=nfl

:
Old 09-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,651 Times in 4,009 Posts

Quote:

Party time is over.

party's over??? are you kidding me? you found 1 coach admit to cheating and now you wanna beg for us to leave you alone and exonerate your team? lol. i quoted this stuff 2 weeks ago when the party was just getting started.

fighting for the scraps?

you can go back to fighting for your dignity. youve been on this board for several years trying to convince all steelerfans in the world that the patriots arent juiced up, dirty cheap shot, cheaters. youre 0-3 in that alone. you done struck out.

the partys been over for 2 weeks for you now, litp.

its time to take the lampshade off your head.

jimmy freaking johnson????

please spare me barry switzers take on the matter.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Hilarious.

Like I say.

Show's over.

i'll leave the more desperate scrambling over the remnants over what was lame smack even at its finest moment.

And Atlanta Dan - stick to quoting page 2 purveyors of strictly light weight football opinion.

I'll go with the guy who has been there and done it ..quite literally in this case.

God knows how many times the Steelers were doing this stuff....even back in 70's?

Not video tape of course, but you can bet that they cheated somehow - its in their steriod taking blood.

Enjoy.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:

And Atlanta Dan - stick to quoting page 2 purveyors of strictly light weight football opinion

Enjoy.
Cutting response - I better quit posting before I break down in tears

So Simmons is just another Pats hater? Are you a fan of his only when he says wonderful stuff about your boys?

You really are in denial about this (and if you think Simmons is a lightweight on the NFL listen to his weekly podcast that breaks down the NFL lines - I think you might admit he has some working knowledge of the league, although obviously not approaching your level of expertise)

It's only September - lots of football to be played
Old 09-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Hilarious.

Like I say.

Show's over.

i'll leave the more desperate scrambling over the remnants over what was lame smack even at its finest moment.

And Atlanta Dan - stick to quoting page 2 purveyors of strictly light weight football opinion.

I'll go with the guy who has been there and done it ..quite literally in this case.

God knows how many times the Steelers were doing this stuff....even back in 70's?

Not video tape of course, but you can bet that they cheated somehow - its in their steriod taking blood.

Enjoy.
jiimmy johnson? lol. what was he in the league for? 7 years? when he was exposed as just a product of the hershel walker trade and just another barry switzer he got out. wanstedt had gotten the hint and norve turner isnt far behind.

terry bradshaw on the other hand was able to win all 4 of his rings without him or his coaches cheating. im far more inclined to believe him as opposed to the weak assed sources you cite. as soon as johnson begun the spew you obviously missed live, bradshaw pretty much told him, he was full of shit.

much like im telling you.....

....that the one thing the cowboys and patriots have in common is that neither cant beat the steelers for a ring without cheating. go figure.

lets get this party started!!!!!...... right???
Old 09-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Cutting response - I better quit posting before I break down in tears

So Simmons is just another Pats hater? Are you a fan of his only when he says wonderful stuff about your boys?

You really are in denial about this (and if you think Simmons is a lightweight on the NFL listen to his weekly podcast that breaks down the NFL lines - I think you might admit he has some working knowledge of the league, although obviously not approaching your level of expertise)

It's only September - lots of football to be played
I'll take Jimmy Johnson's word over his.

You know...an actual former HC.

Is he a Patriots-hater?

No probably not.

Is he one of a growing band of bandwagon hopping 'journalists who know where their ratings lie?

You betcha!

There's an awful lot of mileage to be made from Patriots bashing at this time, not least with overly jealous rival football fanbases who have come up empty against the patriots time and again - you can go ahead and put you and yours in that group.

Like i've said before, an awful lot of mass sports media is geared toward the uneducated masses - which is proven out pretty much every day.

Oh, and his 'lines' are probably no better than mine - I have enough of a working knowledge of the NFL to make the odd bet pay - so far neither me or Bill have been able to pack in our full time employment to further our career in this area though.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
I'll take Jimmy Johnson's word over his.

You know...an actual former HC.

Is he a Patriots-hater?

No probably not.

Is he one of a growing band of bandwagon hopping 'journalists who know where their ratings lie?

You betcha!

There's an awful lot of mileage to be made from Patriots bashing at this time, not least with overly jealous rival football fanbases who have come up empty against the patriots time and again - you can go ahead and put you and yours in that group.

Like i've said before, an awful lot of mass sports media is geared toward the uneducated masses - which is proven out pretty much every day.

Oh, and his 'lines' are probably no better than mine - I have enough of a working knowledge of the NFL to make the odd bet pay - so far neither me or Bill have been able to pack in our full time employment to further our career in this area though.
Read Simmons column I linked - Simmons loves the Pats, revels in the fact they are going to enjoy being the villains wearing the black hats this season, but admits why most of the country is rooting against them. More than you are able to do.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:

you should really stay away from all those patriot sites.

I have enough of a working knowledge of the NFL to make the odd bet pay - so far neither me or Bill have been able to pack in our full time employment to further our career in this area though.

*phew*

Hi y"all! anyone seen my pet bull sally come running through here?