Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default The Truth Hurts...Big Ben's time has Come

While everybody has theie own opinion....... facts are facts. Like the old saying goes...... don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Quote:
Big Ben’s time has come
Cold, Hard Football Facts for August 27, 2007

By Kerry J. Byrne
Cold, Hard Football Facts swimsuit model
(Comment here ... write to us here)

"Big" Ben Roethlisberger is the most visible, most widely recognized mystery in all of sports.

Roethlisberger, who played the first half of Pittsburgh’s 27-13 preseason win over Philadelphia last night, has already established himself as one of the game’s great winners in a three-year career wrapped in both glory and tumult. It’s been a remarkably newsworthy span for a kid who’s just 25 years old and who has appeared in just 41 NFL games (40 starts).

But few fans truly appreciate the historic productivity that has marked his short career. Like many of the game’s great winners – the Bart Starrs and Tom Bradys of the football world – Roethlisberger is often seen as something of a pigskin perfunctory: a "system" quarterback who simply “manages” the game for his talent-laden teams.

The chorus of Cold, Hard Football Facts sing quite a different tune: Roethlisberger, at this very early point in his career, is poised to join the short list of most ruthlessly efficient quarterbacks in NFL history.

And as history has shown, ruthlessly efficient quarterbacks win more games and sport more rings than the glitzy gunslingers coveted by the faux-fan fantasy-football and video-game crowd. (Amazing that so many "system" quarterbacks wear so many rings, isn't it? Maybe a story for another day.)
Here's to 'system quarterbacks' and the rest of the story!

The rest of Cold, Hard, Football Facts........... http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com....php?Page=1562

{For those of us that live in Cinci. Cleveland, New England and Indy......you may want to print a copy of this article and keep in your wallet for quick reference when someone starts yapping about Ben only being a "game manager' )
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 09-29-2007 at 08:23 AM.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: The Truth Hurts...Big Ben's time has Come

You'll notice they use Tom Brady as one of those who has previously been labelled a 'system QB'.

Its a good article - and one which was probably written about Tom a year or two back.

Taking last years freakish occurences out of the equation, I think Ben has shown a nice learning curve.

He can take the team on his back (or at least he could a couple of years back) - its just that with a D and running game the Steelers have, it simply isn't called upon that often.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 09-29-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

4th year...yeah, I say Big Ben's time has come. But it's all up to him (and perhaps the coaching staff) to seize the opportunity. So far this year, Ben's come along nicely. I wish him all the luck in the world. For his sake and for the Steelers.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

I just think Ben is a real winner and, yes I know he is a good team. If you look where ever he has played he has won. I know this season time will tell.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2703

I can't help but to think about Bradshaw. His first years were just as rocky as Ben's if not worse and look what he was able to accomplish. He also started out just "managing" a team. By the end of his career he was the team. There is no doubt in my mind that Ben has what it takes to thrive in this system. It all seems to be clicking for him right now. New coach? Maybe. But I really feel what we are actually seeing is the maturation of a player who has always been a winner. I for one can't wait to see what Ben has in store. You can look at stats, you can pick anyone apart if you really want to, I just get a feeling about Big Ben that there is something truly special about him and that he will go down as one of the Steeler greats! Red Kool-Aid anyone?
bratsinmybelly is offline   Reply With Quote