Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Ben dropped ball with old coach

Ben dropped ball with old coach
Monday, October 01, 2007
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- What was one of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's ridiculous criticisms of his former offensive coordinator, Ken Whisenhunt, after he left to take the Arizona Cardinals' job? That he was too conservative?

You could have fooled me yesterday.

Actually, Whisenhunt fooled the Steelers.

Badly.

There are a number of reasons for Whisenhunt to feel good about his Cardinals' 21-14 victory against the Steelers. You know the obvious one, the one involving the Steelers' decision not to give him their head coaching job when Bill Cowher left after last season despite Whisenhunt's fine work with Roethlisberger and the offense in the Super Bowl year of 2005 and the 15-1 season of 2004. Revenge is oh so sweet.

"Oh, yeah, this is really big for Whiz," said Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, a former Pitt star who played a huge part in the victory. "This was definitely not a normal week for us. You could tell Whiz really wanted us to get after it."

But there was another big reason.

Whisenhunt's play calling was huge.

It was anything but conservative.

"That's my mentality," Whisenhunt said afterward, thoroughly confused why Roethlisberger has gone out of his way to attempt to create a grudge between them, much as another great Steelers quarterback -- Terry Bradshaw -- tried to create a silly, imaginary one a few decades ago with Chuck Noll.

It's a crying shame Roethlisberger didn't see Whisenhunt before the game. There was a love-fest when Whisenhunt came onto the field; maybe two-dozen Steelers rushed over to hug him. It's hard to believe it was an accident that Big Ben wasn't among them, especially after he didn't have the class to go congratulate Whisenhunt after the win. "Hopefully, one day, we'll talk," Whisenhunt said.

It's not like Whisenhunt lacked for people patting him on the back.

His players were thrilled for him.

"We all really wanted to win this game," Fitzgerald said. "We've had it circled since the schedule came out."

Whisenhunt's take?

"If you're asking me if I'm excited about us beating the Steelers, sure I am. But I don't have any animosity toward that football team. What I'm proud of is our guys stepping up and making plays and beating a good team to win a game that no one gave us a chance to win.

"This gives us something to build on. It makes us feel like we can play with anybody."

Whisenhunt's prints were all over the victory, starting with the way he handled his quarterbacks. For the second week in a row, he benched young starter Matt Leinart and brought in old vet Kurt Warner to run the no-huddle offense to give the Cardinals a spark. It worked exactly as planned; Warner led a long third-quarter touchdown drive to tie the score, 7-7.

But after Steve Breaston's 73-yard punt return for a score gave the Cardinals a 14-7 lead, Whisenhunt went back to Leinart. Together, the two were marvelous on a touchdown drive that clinched the victory.

On first down at the Arizona 18, when everybody in the rocket ship-like stadium was thinking run, Whisenhunt had Leinart run a play fake to running back Edgerrin James and throw a deep pass to Fitzgerald, who beat cornerback Ike Taylor and made a terrific catch for a 38-yard gain.

"That play was something we worked on all week," Whisenhunt said. "We were just waiting for the right time."

"I lobbied for it," said Fitzgerald, who had 11 catches for 123 yards. "I told coach, 'Just give me a shot. Let me make a play.' "

Later in that drive, Whisenhunt had Leinart sneak for a first down on fourth-and-1 at the Steelers' 24 when a Neil Rackers field goal would have given the Cardinals a 10-point lead.

"I'd have been a dummy if that one didn't work," Whisenhunt said. "It just felt like the right call. I had a lot of faith in our line."

On the next play, Whisenhunt called another play-action pass, this one to wide receiver Bryant Johnson for an 11-yard gain.

Not exactly conservative, right?

"We thought they'd be playing the run and we'd have a shot with the pass," Whisenhunt said, shrugging.

James scored on a 2-yard run moments later to complete a near-perfect day for Whisenhunt. His team didn't just beat the Steelers, his old team. He was able to get Leinart -- his new team's future -- back in the game and have him go home feeling good about himself.

"He showed you why he's going to be a really good quarterback in this league," Whisenhunt said.

The man knows one when he sees one.

He had Roethlisberger, didn't he?

"I'd never say anything bad about Ben," Whisenhunt said. "He's a good quarterback and a good kid."

Whisenhunt would have told that to Roethlisberger's face yesterday. Too bad Big Ben didn't have the decency to give him the chance.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07274/822006-87.stm
Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Ben dropped ball with old coach

I really think Ben should have talked with Wiz before or after the game, maybe in some way that affected this play. Anyway, that's in the past, Ben should focus on the next game(and so should the whole team) and hope to someday fix whatever problems there are between him and wiz.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

I could care less, they must have sumthing going on underground....Im with Ben!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I don't believe that Ben not shaking hands with Wiz either before or after the game had any bearing or outcome on how the game turned out, though I think it would have been the classy thing to do. Wiz had his team fired up and ready to do battle and battle is what they did. Gotta give props to Wiz and the Cards for outwitting the Steelers and the coaching staff.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I don't think any of the perceived problems with Whiz and Ben had an effect on the game's outcome.

You know what had an effect? Hines Ward, Casey Hampton and Troy Polamalu being on the sidelines due to injury.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,542 Times in 3,762 Posts

Ben was too emotional about this game - he is quoted as having told Arians going into this week, "this is my Cleveland for you. [Arians] was fired up about Cleveland."

Arians was fired by Clevelend - Whiz was the O-coordinator for Ben when they won a Super Bowl - how the situations are remotely comparable in Ben's mind is ludicrous. Too bad Cowher and Whiz apparently did not come over to Ben's house to bake s'mores and constantly tell him in a soothing voice what a great guy he was.

Having been sacked 4 times and failing to read the safety on the end zone INT yesterday maybe Ben will now STFU about how great it is Whiz is no longer calling the plays in Pittsbutgh.

If Ben wanted to get his game face on by not shakig hands with Whiz before the game he can be excused for needing to engage in such a childish tactic, but refusing to see Whiz after the game is the type of boorish behavior for which several of us blasted Belicheat when he failed to shake Manning's hand after the playoff loss last season.

This is not slamming Ben for his game performance - it is slamming him for continuing prima donna behavior that we had been led to believe he finally had outgrown after the 2006 season. Ben still has a lot of growing up to do, which considering he is in his mid-20s makes you wonder if he will ever be the great QB we hope he will become.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #7
SteelFist
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 84

Ben has blame to take, as he did. But this offensive line is not off the hook. And Ben was being a little too nice when he said the OL had a good game......

There were so many times in this game where Ben and the WR's were not on the same page. And Ben can't take all of the blame for that either.

"That guy across from me, he has to do one or two things, either raise his level of play or get his a-- kicked all day" - Greg Lloyd
SteelFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i agree. the oline didnt help out at all yesterday. they were losing the battles in the trenches terribly.

as for ben not shaking wiz's hand.. no big deal its his prerogative. as i said before it doesnt matter what he does someone will always say he should have done something else.. doesnt matter to me.. i still love him and think he is a great qb

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Otstott View Post
Im with Ben!!!
lol, well of course!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I don't believe that Ben not shaking hands with Wiz either before or after the game had any bearing or outcome on how the game turned out, though I think it would have been the classy thing to do. Wiz had his team fired up and ready to do battle and battle is what they did. Gotta give props to Wiz and the Cards for outwitting the Steelers and the coaching staff.
I agree. I think it was a psych job for whisenhunt. I have a feeling ben had something to do with wiz not getting hired.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote