Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890
Default Dont Blame the O line

Many on here are blaming the O line for the poor rushing performance but I would have to blame the OC and Willie Parker more than the line. I cant count how many times WP tried to cut back only to find nothing. He should have just kept following his blockers picking up 2 to 3 yards each run rather than trying to spring each one for more. Ben still continues to hold the ball for ever in the pocket. I cant tell if its the receivers not getting seperation or Ben just second guessing his reads. Plus he has a problem throwing to his check down.

I know its only 1 loss but its awfully similar to how they lost last year. Dumb ass mental mistakes coupled with no sense of motivation and poor OC playcalling. Lets just hope they can correct it this year.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Dont Blame the O line

I'll continue to blame the o-line. Parker couldn't take two steps out of the backfield before he was met by two cards. I to saw Parker try and cut back only to find nothing.....why? Because he didn't have anything else to work with. The guy can only do so much when having half the defensive line in his face one second after being given the ball.

I put absolutely zero blame on Parker. That o-line looked absolutely horrible yesterday. Were they the only reason we lost yesterday? No. But they were a main reason.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
moedap
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I'll continue to blame the o-line. Parker couldn't take two steps out of the backfield before he was met by two cards. I to saw Parker try and cut back only to find nothing.....why? Because he didn't have anything else to work with. The guy can only do so much when having half the defensive line in his face.

I put absolutely zero blame on Parker. That o-line looked absolutely horrible yesterday.
When he followed his blockers all the way through he got sprung. When he tried to cutback he was met. The Steelers dont zone block. Follow the damn blockers if they are getting clogged ram it into their backs.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

O line was horrible and the main reason we lost (more than the coaches or Parker)

dumb thread
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
moedap
Starter

Count 1 mississippi, 2 mississippit, etc.. when Ben goes back to throw. On his sacks i think I was up to 6 mississippi. Look at who got most of the tackles for Arizona. Dockett. Why b/c the OC gameplan allowed the DT penetration trying to run off tackle stuff. If WP knows the DT is already back there why try to cut back keep following the blockers.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Providence Steel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6523

Gotta side with Moedap...

1 net yard with 2 trys from the 4 yard line for Willie Parker. Two yards on the first run by following his blockers, negative 1 yard when he tried to cut it outside...then Ben throws the interception. A Touchdown there changes the game entirely and there is no question that against THE CARDINALS, the Steelers should have scored.

Davenport should be the short yardage guy inside the 5.
Gotta give Willie a little credit though...
He didnt fumble against the toughest defense we faced all year and that is saying a lot.
Providence Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence Steel View Post
Gotta side with Moedap...
Of course you do...

How do you blame Parker when he's consistently hit in the backfield?

The O-Line didn't pass protect or run block effectively in this game. Period.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
Providence Steel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6523

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebus36 View Post
Of course you do...

How do you blame Parker when he's consistently hit in the backfield?

The O-Line didn't pass protect or run block effectively in this game. Period.
Parker wasn't hit in the backfield on either of the two runs I mentioned. His first went up the middle for 2 yards, his second was outside for negative 1.

I feel that if Davenport was the back in that situation, 3 runs would have ultimately netted a touchdown.
Providence Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

For one, anyone blaming Parker couldnt have watched the game. The blame goes to the OLine first and Arians second. Arians mistake was when he kept running on 1st and 2nd down in the 2nd half, even when they stacked the box and took that away,

The Cards had 8 in the box and dominated the OLine. There were 3 or 4 times that the Cardinals were in our backfield by the time Willie got the ball.

And Ben had to hold the ball. Wilson and Washington arent good at finding the holes in coverage. Ward is, and thats where we missed him. It became very obvious that we need a capable WR to backup Ward. Other than him, we have Holmes and Miller as consistant targets.

Yes, I blame the OLine. The OLine was horrible. They were bad last year and they arent much better this year.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Oh, and look who's crawled from under his rock?

Dude, you really need to get off of WP's back. Did he smack your wife and then laugh in your face or something? Sheesh!

You have to either be completely blind or just a blind hater if you couldn't see that the OL was a MAJOR problem yesterday in both run and pass blocking.