Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
thebus36idf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6089
Default How many think we abandoned the run too fast?

I have said it before, and I woukd say it again. I wonder why we don't give the ball to Nahj. in the goal line situations. And even at the beginning of the game. Wear down the defense, then throw some speed at them. We had success with Willie in the second quater, but by then it was too late. Our defense was pretty solid. In a game this close in the first quater with a lead I believe we shoukd have stuck to the run, and worn them out. I do however think we can learn alot from this game. We have not had a situation in which we had to come from behind to win.
Black & Gold, Peace & Grace
thebus36idf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087
Default Re: How many think we abadoned the run too fast?

We didn't really abandon the run game at all.

Our whole gameplan is to pass early and often to set up our running game

I agree that Najeh should get the ball more though and to try him inside the 5
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Najeh isn't a huge power runner. That is why. I agree with you we abandoned the run too early, but although Davenport has the size for power running he isn't really good at the tough yarage stuff. We saw that in GB and last year when he was with us. He looks good in the fourth quarter yes but it is when the D is tired and down by 35 - 7... I agree though. We need to run better and more. The thing is though, our running schemes have been bad all year. Parker could have easily went over what he did the first three weeks of the season had the play calling been better.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

It isn't up to us to decide if they abandoned the run or not. I believe the coaches put the players in the best possible situation to be sucssesful. It is too easy to sit here on monday and say they should have done this or they should have done that eventhough it can be fun to do. I love talking football and playing the what if game but believe me I'm no football coach and I have confidence in the Steelers coaching staff to put these players in a position to be sucssesfull after that it is up to the guys on the field to execute.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Say what?

They kept trying to run against 8 and 9 man fronts all day long and played right into the Cards' hands. Can you name one time where the Steelers used playaction or a screen to counter it? I can't. They relied too much on the run if you asked me.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
Najeh isn't a huge power runner. That is why. I agree with you we abandoned the run too early, but although Davenport has the size for power running he isn't really good at the tough yarage stuff. We saw that in GB and last year when he was with us. He looks good in the fourth quarter yes but it is when the D is tired and down by 35 - 7... I agree though. We need to run better and more. The thing is though, our running schemes have been bad all year. Parker could have easily went over what he did the first three weeks of the season had the play calling been better.

I'm not sure I follow you on this one. I thought the first 3 games the running game was pretty good afterall Willie was leading the league after 3 weeks.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,198 Times in 476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i could only keep track of the game on line but to me we should have abandonded the run a lot sooner than we did we couldnt run at all
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Eztarget
Starter

Member Number: 162

Well when you have the ball at the 4 yard line first and goal and you run Parker TWICE with the SAME exact play ... that ain't too bright.

Here's a thought ... Parker is supposed to be "FAST" Willie Parker so how about a pitch out to spread the goal line defense with Parker's speed?

To me the punt return was NOT the dagger. It was that first and goal series when they easily should have scored.
Eztarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

We never spread the Cardinals defense out. They played a very similar scheme that the Ravens did twice last year and we didn't adjust. You can't run against 9 man fronts. Basically, they dared Ben to beat them and he couldn't do it without Ward in there.

We stuck with the same game plan too long and it cost us. It was at the point that I was wondering if this was a 2006 game plan that they dug up from somewhere.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Abandon the run? What game were you watching?

The Cards set up 8-9 man fronts all game to stop Willie and dared Ben to beat them. Ben was beatign the Cards, but then Arians got brain farts. No Playaction whatsoever. Pin the loss on the O-Line all you want, but the Cards were determined to not let Willie run. 5 guys vs 8-9 defenders. Of course the Defense is going to win. I don't think you can pin that on the O-Line.

The ghost of Bill Cowher possessed Bruce Arians after the Santonio Touchdown. Run into a brick wall, "Do what we do", "Marty Ball".
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote