Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Reality Check (And why I don't post in Steelers Football Forum much)

Every year it's the same. Every loss it's the same. Usually, when we lose, the team underperforms and doesn't look very good. But, for the love of Christ, do the fans always have to be so farging negative? It's one thing to point out obvious errors and stuff, but some of these threads are ridiculous. Questioning Ben as the QB? Questioning Tomlin as coach? What do you nattering nabobs of negativism really hope to achieve, anyway? Let's face the reality here. The Steelers had a bad game. They may have another one this season. Hell, they may even have 4 or 5 or 6. They may actually play badly and win. It happens, you know?

(I originally posted this in the blast furnace, but it seems like a good time and place to post it again)

Real and true NFL fans know that one game does not make a season, and every team has some bumps in the road. It's that exact reason that Miami's 1972 season will probably never be topped. Here are some other examples of really good teams playing poorly and losing against bad teams.

The 2006 Colts lost to both Tennessee and Houston.
The 2005 Steelers were beaten by an awful Baltimore Ravens team.
The 2004 Patriots lost to a horrible Miami team.
The 2003 Pats were blown out 31-0 in the season opener by an awful Buffalo team
The 2002 Tampa Bay Bucs lost to the Saints. Twice.
The 2001 Patriots lost to a terrible Cincy team.
The 2000 Ravens lost to a bad Redskins and an average Steelers team.

What do all these teams have in common? They all went on to win the Super Bowl that year.

Let's keep the loss in proper perspective.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902
Default Re: Reality Check (And why I don't post in Steelers Football Forum much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Every year it's the same. Every loss it's the same. Usually, when we lose, the team underperforms and doesn't look very good. But, for the love of Christ, do the fans always have to be so farging negative? It's one thing to point out obvious errors and stuff, but some of these threads are ridiculous. Questioning Ben as the QB? Questioning Tomlin as coach? What do you nattering nabobs of negativism really hope to achieve, anyway? Let's face the reality here. The Steelers had a bad game. They may have another one this season. Hell, they may even have 4 or 5 or 6. They may actually play badly and win. It happens, you know?

(I originally posted this in the blast furnace, but it seems like a good time and place to post it again)

Real and true NFL fans know that one game does not make a season, and every team has some bumps in the road. It's that exact reason that Miami's 1972 season will probably never be topped. Here are some other examples of really good teams playing poorly and losing against bad teams.

The 2006 Colts lost to both Tennessee and Houston.
The 2005 Steelers were beaten by an awful Baltimore Ravens team.
The 2004 Patriots lost to a horrible Miami team.
The 2003 Pats were blown out 31-0 in the season opener by an awful Buffalo team
The 2002 Tampa Bay Bucs lost to the Saints. Twice.
The 2001 Patriots lost to a terrible Cincy team.
The 2000 Ravens lost to a bad Redskins and an average Steelers team.

What do all these teams have in common? They all went on to win the Super Bowl that year.

That is a great post! I could not agree with you more and I do not understand why fans of a team think they have all the answers if they did why are they not in the league making these tough decisions. I am a huge Steelers fan I love watching and talking about the games but I never boo or trash my team even if they might deserve it. I'm of the mindset to keep things positive and SUPPORT my team when things are going bad.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Reality Check (And why I don't post in Steelers Football Forum much)

Um...

If you were referring to my thread (Tomlin Outcoached)

You would see that it was a thread started in sarcasm...
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

all true, rev.

forums and talk radio do provide a much needed venue for venting after a loss. but isn't it a wonderful world where a mere game commands such love and attention! (sorry, my pendulum swings toward sappy optimism after a boneheaded loss).
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Um...

If you were referring to my thread (Tomlin Outcoached)

You would see that it was a thread started in sarcasm...
Nope. Sarcasm duly noted and appreciated. But I've read a lot of posts, and I've seen just about everything questioned. Tomlin stood out as a "biggie", and I'm also remembering some of LITP's nonsensical ravings as well.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

good work rev, you came strong with a point and you BACKED IT UP. i think you should post more often. i love reading this stuff, not just some tool's opinion, but facts. good work!! bravo!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
iloveben7
Team Captain

Member Number: 3165

I agree with your posts. My dad is one big example of a fair-weather fan. He likes them when they are good and he hates them when they are bad. The Steelers are going to lose games this season and yesterday was one of them. Are we going to fire Tomlin? Are we going to bench Ben or Willie? NO. It's one game and they are human beings, so they make mistakes. I also hate how people say the game was Ben's fault or because of the injuries. It was not any of those. The Steelers lost as a team and the Cardinals just outplayed them. I will never say anything bad about the Pittsburgh Steelers because they are the greatest team and I will support them no matter what.
Look out Seattle, cause here we come

My dream is to meet my HERO, Ben Roethlisberger
iloveben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Great post Rev! ...
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Nope. Sarcasm duly noted and appreciated. But I've read a lot of posts, and I've seen just about everything questioned. Tomlin stood out as a "biggie", and I'm also remembering some of LITP's nonsensical ravings as well.
Well... Some things just have to be assumed...!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #10
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

You have to remember that the forum is open, and we get EVERYONE here. We have a lot of older people, but we have a lot of younger people, too, and sometimes very much younger people. Some are full of the impatience and impetuousness of youth.

It's easy to read a post on the internet and assume that the poster is someone much like yourself. But try this. When you read one of those posts that is instantly negative, assume that the poster is 12.

That really helps me deal with them. I ignore the ones that are flat out whines, I read the ones that try to put some logic behind their thoughts, and I answer the ones that don't have any spelling or grammatical mistakes.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote