Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,946 Times in 3,403 Posts
Default What Whisenhunt did good and Tomlin didnt

whiz had a good day of coaching yesterday. but he had an even better week. the cardinals didnt light it up. they just managed to do well enough without one of their key contributors on offense.

where whiz made his hay was the week leading up to the game. props to him for not opening the dome or making the steelers wear their "home" black jerseys on the road. this move was perfect.

-it doesnt give the steelers or their fans any opportunity if they got beat by the heat. (ken has been in latrobe and hes seen film of the last 3 games. he knew the heat would be no factor.)

-why give them their home jerseys then? make the steelers feel at home? = bad move. ken sent a message to his players that it was their house, they werent gonna hand it over on a platter, and no external factors (such as playing with an open roof) were needed for them to win.

these are small things. the big thing whiz did that tomlin didnt was let the tap into and let the players play with the emotion that fueled all the storylines leading up into this match up. tomlin gladly handed it off as "their story", and the steelers methodically went on... business as usual.

games are won and lost on emotion alone. one team embraced it, the steelers pushed it to the side.

now this is more to commend whiz than to blame tomlin (sundays loss was a team effort minus the defense who definitely held their own). it was a tight game all the way and watching the cardinals play was kinda like watching the steelers.

sometimes a rah-rah speech and a little emotional edge can be all the difference...

*awaits for this to turn into a "do we miss cowher and porter" thread*
Old 10-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902
Default Re: What Whisenhunt did good and Tomlin didnt

I completly respect your opinion but I don't think Tomlin is the rahrah type of guy he seems to be old school in the fact that this is your job you go out and do your job and you will win without getting into all the emotional stuff. Remindes me of guys like Dungey and Noll and that is what I like about him.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Tomlin won the job over Whisenhunt because he deserved it more. End of story. I would rather have a coach who is good most of the time (Tomlin) over one who is good sometimes (wiz). Whisenhunt had a good week. It will probably be the best week he is going to experiance in Arizona.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

2004 AFC Championship game...

Steelers embraced it, Patriots pushed it to the side. You know the rest...

Emotion, bouncing around, screaming, and shouting can only take you so far.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I agree Tony, that Whisenhunt had his team prepared and he coached an impressive game yesterday....His team wanted it more and its that simple....As for Tomlin it was the first time I wasn't that impressed with how he had the team ready to play....But hey its only one game and there is still 12 to play so I'm just getting ready for the Seahawks....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

The real question is...

What would have happened if we had Cowher and Porter on the field

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,074 Times in 3,188 Posts

Everyone wants to win every week in the NFL but it is a question of how you channel the emotions that fuel that will to win.

Let's face it - this game meant the most to 2 people - Whiz and Ben. Peter King spoke with Whiz last night, who told King:

"I'm excited for myself, selfishly. This one truly means a lot. There's only so many really great wins in your life, and this is certainly one of them.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...30/mmqb/2.html

For Tomlin - winning yesterday would not have been one of the great wins of his life - OTOH it apparently would have been for Ben.

Whiz channeled his emotions while Ben was on the edge all week, with Tomlin publicly telling Ben to cool it, Ben telling Arians this game was for Ben the equivalent of Arians coaching against the Browns team that fired him, and Ben being so consumed about the "grudge match" that he was off by himself while Whiz was having a very public pregame meet & greet with apparently the entire Steelers team - Whiz got special bonus points there for playing with Ben's head regarding what the rest of the team thought about the alleged steel cage death match with one of their ex-coaches while at the same time being a class act with his former players.

Then we get to the game and, as I speculated last week might be the case, Whiz loads up against the run and tells the Steelers if you beat me it will be with your QB; for whatever reason, Arians either got caught up in his own macho decision that Whiz would not dictate the Steelers abandoning the run or, until the end, would not put the game in Ben's hands.

So Tomlin faces his first adversity of the year following a game where he could not control the emotions of his most important player. Despite all that, King still has the Steelers at #5 this week, with this observation:

You know why I don't kill the Steelers for losing in Arizona? Because there was plenty for the Cards to play for (with the Whisenhunt-Grimm revenge angle), and because Pittsburgh has still outscored its foes 111-47.

Next play
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Everyone wants to win every week in the NFL but it is a question of how you channel the emotions that fuel that will to win.

Let's face it - this game meant the most to 2 people - Whiz and Ben. Peter King spoke with Whiz last night, who told King:

"I'm excited for myself, selfishly. This one truly means a lot. There's only so many really great wins in your life, and this is certainly one of them.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...30/mmqb/2.html

For Tomlin - winning yesterday would not have been one of the great wins of his life - OTOH it apparently would have been for Ben.

Whiz channeled his emotions while Ben was on the edge all week, with Tomlin publicly telling Ben to cool it, Ben telling Arians this game was for Ben the equivalent of Arians coaching against the Browns team that fired him, and Ben being so consumed about the "grudge match" that he was off by himself while Whiz was having a very public pregame meet & greet with apparently the entire Steelers team - Whiz got special bonus points there for playing with Ben's head regarding what the rest of the team thought about the alleged steel cage death match with one of their ex-coaches while at the same time being a class act with his former players.

Then we get to the game and, as I speculated last week might be the case, Whiz loads up against the run and tells the Steelers if you beat me it will be with your QB; for whatever reason, Arians either got caught up in his own macho decision that Whiz would not dictate the Steelers abandoning the run or, until the end, would not put the game in Ben's hands.

So Tomlin faces his first adversity of the year following a game where he could not control the emotions of his most important player. Despite all that, King still has the Steelers at #5 this week, with this observation:

You know why I don't kill the Steelers for losing in Arizona? Because there was plenty for the Cards to play for (with the Whisenhunt-Grimm revenge angle), and because Pittsburgh has still outscored its foes 111-47.

Next play

Great post!

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I don't think Whiz's coaching made Nate Washington slow down in his route when he should have caught a bomb for a TD. Nor did it cause Ben to forget everything he knows and fire a ball without looking into double coverage in the endzone. Nor did it cause a breakdown in our otherwise almost perfect special teams play this year and give up a stupid 6. I don't think Tomlin's coaching was the deficiency that caused any of the above either. Maybe emotion was the deciding factor. I was derided for "making excuses" when I suggested something remotely like that in another forum by a certain disgruntled Pats fan.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,074 Times in 3,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
The real question is...

What would have happened if we had Cowher and Porter on the field

Porter would have guaranteed a victory while making 3 tackles and no sacks?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote