Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Rooney : Why I didn't draft Marino

Looks like Dan's got a new book out soon - and he's got the answers to all the questions to ever wanted to ask!

Quote:
PITTSBURGH -- On the field, the Pittsburgh Steelers have long been known for a hard-nosed running game and stingy defense.

Off the field, some questions that have surrounded the team for years are being answered in a new book by team chairman Dan Rooney.

"My 75 Years With The Pittsburgh Steelers And The NFL" answers some of the great mysteries, like why the Steelers did not pick University of Pittsburgh quarterback Dan Marino in the 1983 draft.

Rooney writes that he was ready to draft Marino at the urging of a local sports writer, but "I made a mistake. Instead of telling our (front office) I thought it up myself, I told them it was (the writer's) idea. And that was the end of it."

Years later, in 2005, that earlier misstep influenced Rooney's draft-day strategy.

"I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we had passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to (Ben) Roethlisberger," Rooney writes in the book.

Rooney also reveals his reasons for shutting down the Steelerettes -- the team's attempt at cheerleaders.

"TV cameras liked them, but we take our football seriously in Pittsburgh. We just didn't need them," Rooney writes in the book.

And what about the team's helmets, which only have a logo on one side? It may be the greatest mystery of all for Pittsburgh fans.

In 1962, "I told equipment manager Jack Hart to put the logo on one side only, until we decided whether we'd stick with it," Rooney writes.

After finishing that season with nine wins and five losses -- which, at that point, was the Steelers' best record ever, Hart asked Rooney if he should put the logo on both sides of the helmets.

"No. We got here with the logo on the right side, so let's keep it that way," Rooney writes.

Rooney's book is scheduled to be released next month.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...48/detail.html
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Rooney : Why I didn't draft Marino

Well, he could have went the Bettis route "in order to sell books" and stated that Marino liked the nose candy while at PITT....
Old 10-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,317 Times in 477 Posts

Another huge Draft Day slide for a blue-chip QB prospect. It'd be interesting to know why, along with the Steelers, 25 other teams also passed on Marino before Miami took him 27th (as the SB runner-up the year before) - the only team in the league that didn't have a chance to take him was Washington.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Another huge Draft Day slide for a blue-chip QB prospect. It'd be interesting to know why, along with the Steelers, 25 other teams also passed on Marino before Miami took him 27th (as the SB runner-up the year before) - the only team in the league that didn't have a chance to take him was Washington.
There were strong & credible rumors Marino got caught in a lot of snow drifts his senior year at Pitt. That was the year after Sherrill left and Fazio arrived - Pitt was preseason #1 but had zero discipline + fell apart in November.

FWIW not only a local sportswriter but Art Sr. wanted to draft Marino - something scared Dan & Noll away.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,317 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
There were strong & credible rumors Marino got caught in a lot of snow drifts his senior year at Pitt. That was the year after Sherrill left and Fazio arrived - Pitt was preseason #1 but had zero discipline + fell apart in November.

FWIW not only a local sportswriter but Art Sr. wanted to draft Marino - something scared Dan & Noll away.
Yep, that's the way I've always understood it as well. The insult to injury is that the DT they did draft in the 1st that year (Rivera) never played a down in the NFL.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I was at Pitt when Marino was there, and the rumors were pretty heavy. While I never actually sat along side Dan and partied, I sat and partied with some very credible people who DID sit with him and party.

I have absolutely no doubt that the rumors are true. That was what college students did then.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
oldschool
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5139

Quote:
Yep, that's the way I've always understood it as well. The insult to injury is that the DT they did draft in the 1st that year (Rivera) never played a down in the NFL.
Rivera totaled his 280Z, went through the back window and has been in a wheel chair since. He came to my daughters grade school in South Carolina about a dozen years ago and gave the kids a talk about the consequences of making the wrong decisions in life.

I believe it was also the same year that Bradshaw had elbow surgery , against the advise of the team doctors.

"Medical expertise does not necessarily tell about the will of a man.".....Mike Tomlin

Last edited by oldschool; 10-03-2007 at 04:27 PM.
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
oldschool
Draft Prospect

And isn't it the same year that Cliff Stout broke his hand on the punching bag machine at some bar while the team plane was fogged in some where out west?

"Medical expertise does not necessarily tell about the will of a man.".....Mike Tomlin
Old 10-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
Senor Sack actually played well in several regular season games at NT that year before the career ending auto accident.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_457932.html

Just another example of how it went downhill after the early 80s on the Noll era.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
oldschool
Draft Prospect

And isn't it the same year that after Miami drated Marino they cut their 3rd string QB, and we had to pick him up and he started a few games for us due to the injuries, can't recall his name?