Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,001 Times in 3,035 Posts
Default Reps. lose a good one- Sen. Domenici steps aside

NM sen. pete domenici calls it quits from a position he has admirably held since 1972.

his main potential republican replacements (s. pierce and h. wilson) have nothing on him, and presidential "aint got a shot in hell" candidate bill richardson may throw his hat in the ring (should win by a landslide).

ive always voted on both sides of the aisle and i dont think anyone has received (earned) my vote more than pete.

woohoo! "richardson in 08"!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,895 Posts
Default Re: Reps. lose a good one- Sen. Domenici steps aside

Was he facing a close race next year or did Pete just say to hell with it?

Sounds like the Dems are pushing Richardson hard to seek the seat.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

You know...

the sad thing about it, is that as all the "old" one retire, our govt. is just going to get more ugly.

These guys learned from the ones who knew how to be respectful. Where did they all go? Why do they all have to go into retirement?

Speaking of which...

For some reason, I REALLY wish Gary Hart (yeah... Him! ) would run and be nominated from the dems... and Thompson from the rep.

Could you imagine those debates. Two RESPECTABLE men DEBATING ideas instead of spewing soundbites. How refreshing will that be.

Unfortunately, I doubt that will ever happen again.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
tony hipchest

Quote:

i dont really ever remember him facing a tough race. i mostly vote democratic but never even looked at the other candidates going up against him. he always got my vote cause he did a damn good job and earned it. he was good for the economy and instrumental in preventing AF base closures in new mexico. if the home of the stealth fighter closes down our town of 35,000 dies (- job) and becomes a ghost town. now we have the raptors moving in (i have a job for atleast the next 20 years or until the f-22 is proven to be obsolete ). republican or democrat, ultimately its about whats best for me.

hes citing health reasons (hes no spring chicken) but you raise an interresting point. richardson knows he has to get a new job next year (and unfortunately it wont be prez.) im not sure pete is up for the fight cause it will be a fight. (i think it was the gore/bush election where our states 2,000,000+ votes came down to the last 500 or so before gore was declared the winner???).

im sure he knows theres nobody better than richardson for the job. regardless of which sides of the aisle one is on my impression is that new mexicans tend to vote for the person best for the state.

i could see this as a case of domenici "going out on top" .

for such a small diverse population with such a large land mass, we can use all the credibility in washington we can get. both men bring exactly that.

Richardson for President '08

Old 10-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
You know...

the sad thing about it, is that as all the "old" one retire, our govt. is just going to get more ugly.

These guys learned from the ones who knew how to be respectful. Where did they all go? Why do they all have to go into retirement?

good point that probably illustrates why i always admired the job domenici was doing. he seemed more like an "elected official" as opposed to a politician.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Great point, Preach. I was part of a conversation a few days ago where we were discussing just that. The gist of it was that while old white dudes who have ruled the country forever are definitely part of the problem, they were also at least good for maintaining a certain decorum. The younger generations (even the baby boomers to a degree) are certainly more profane and disrespectful.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Great point, Preach. I was part of a conversation a few days ago where we were discussing just that. The gist of it was that while old white dudes who have ruled the country forever are definitely part of the problem, they were also at least good for maintaining a certain decorum. The younger generations (even the baby boomers to a degree) are certainly more profane and disrespectful.
Absolutely. I put a large amount of the blame on the Baby boomers.

However, it is all of our faults for putting up with it.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
IMO the boomer politicians are the crux of the problem - politicians of my generation have spent the last 40 years refighting the 1960s (when political discourse took a very ugly turn) through arguing how one side was not only clearly right but the other side was clearly wrong - unfortunately it looks like another round will be fought next year.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
IMO the boomer politicians are the crux of the problem - politicians of my generation have spent the last 40 years refighting the 1960s (when political discourse took a very ugly turn) through arguing how one side was not only clearly right but the other side was clearly wrong - unfortunately it looks like another round will be fought next year.
And the 2 years after that, and the 2 years after that, and the......

Like I said in another thread. I wish this year, we could have Gary Hart and Fred Thompson debating. Those are about the only two right now that I would enjoy listening to.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #10
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
(i think it was the gore/bush election where our states 2,000,000+ votes came down to the last 500 or so before gore was declared the winner???).
I think it was 267 votes...the Onion did an article during the recount fiasco that had W executing 268 NM Democrats
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote