Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
ohiosteelerfan20
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4962
Default Smith at SS?

Is this true? Is Anthony Smith going to play SS this week instead of Tyrone Carter, if Troy doesnt play? I for one, sure hope this is true.
ohiosteelerfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Smith at SS?

According to the PPG, yes.......

Quote:
How can that be?

Polamalu was initially said to have sustained an abdominal strain when he was tackled on a fumble return against the Cardinals. But because the Steelers did not have the medical equipment to properly evaluate his injury, he was kept from the game as a precautionary measure.

The cartilage tear was not detected until the team returned to Pittsburgh. Polamalu did not practice again yesterday and might not play against the Seahawks. He would be replaced by second-year safety Anthony Smith.

"I feel good, but I don't know [if I'll play]," Polamalu said. "It depends if [coach Mike Tomlin] wants something to linger for 10 weeks. That's the danger with any injury. It's definitely an injury than can get worse."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07278/823099-66.stm
Old 10-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Wow.

KEEP HIM OUT. let him sit this game, the bye week, and the following week. LET HIM HEAL for the stretch run!

Come on A.smith.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Whether he does replace Troy is still questionable in my opinion. When Carter does get his chances he has played pretty solid. I wouldn't be shocked to see Tomlin go with the veteran Carter nor would I be shocked to see him go with the young, hard hitting Anthony Smith.

But I do have to question the PPG when it comes to automatically making the assumption that Smith is getting the start if Troy is out. I do not recall Tomlin or anybody else for that matter involved with the Steeler organization making that statement. Unless I missed something?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Check that previous post....

Sit them ALL. Troy, Ward, etc. etc.

we have a stretch of 3. THREE! divisional games coming up. With the failure of Baltimore and the implosion of the Bengals. The smart thing we can do is risk a loss this week and sweep the divisional games.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
ohiosteelerfan20
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4962

Thanks 83-Steelers-43 for the post . I hate that Troy cant play, I think he is their best player, but I am kinda excited to see Smith play more. The man hits with bad intentions.
ohiosteelerfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosteelerfan20 View Post
Thanks 83-Steelers-43 for the post . I hate that Troy cant play, I think he is their best player, but I am kinda excited to see Smith play more. The man hits with bad intentions.
No problem at all OSF.

But as I stated in another thread, I'm more concerned with Hampton being out than I am Troy. I think our depth at the safety position is one of our stronger areas of depth on the roster. By no means is that a shot at Troy, I would love nothing more than to have him this Sunday, but I can at least say we have some solid depth behind him.

Hampton being out this Sunday makes me very uncomfortable. Hampton tends to be underappreciated. Much like A. Smith. Example: On ESPN (go figure) they stated we could be in trouble because Hines is out and we might not have Polamalu. No mention of Hampton. One of the best NT's in the league. This is a guy who takes two people on with ease and has three pro bowl appearances. Not a word.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,106 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Check that previous post....

Sit them ALL. Troy, Ward, etc. etc.

we have a stretch of 3. THREE! divisional games coming up. With the failure of Baltimore and the implosion of the Bengals. The smart thing we can do is risk a loss this week and sweep the divisional games.
I agree resting everyone is tempting, but my concern is 2 lossses going into the bye wipes out the momentum of the 3-0 start.

FWIW Sports Guy Bill Simmons agrees the Steelers opponents have slipped - he has a new power ranking list out (Steelers at #5) and has these comments:

24. Cincinnati
On the heels of Tony Dungy's best-selling book, Marvin Lewis announced he's releasing one called, "What Do I Have To Do To Get Fired?"

13. Baltimore
When the Ravens' defense takes on the Rams' offense in Week 6, it's going to be like watching Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone getting it on in "Basic Instinct 3."

5b. Seattle
5a. Pittsburgh
I don't see a difference between these two teams. They're both 3-1. They're really good at home. They reached the Super Bowl two years ago. They gave away games to Arizona this season. They're going to win their divisions by 2-3 games. They have up-and-down QBs who are good enough to be fantasy starters, but not good enough to keep their owners from shopping around for Romo, Brady or Palmer. They have quality running backs who were first-round fantasy picks but haven't totally won the confidence of their fans. They have a recognizable Samoan guy on defense. And they hail from cities known for grunge music, great coffee and tons of rain.

(All right, not everything's the same. But you can't tell me Pittsburgh is better than Seattle, or vice-versa. So why would Pittsburgh be favored by six this week? How does that make sense?)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...5&sportCat=nfl
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

I'll be cheering all day for anthony. But I still hope troy can play, but only if he's 100 percent fine, we can't have him injured for the second half of the season
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

the first time i get to go to a game at heinz since 2004 and our 3 best players our out.