Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

View Poll Results: "no practice= no play" philosophy?
good thing 16 51.61%
bad thing 1 3.23%
good for now, bad for later 3 9.68%
bad for now, good for later 5 16.13%
could be good or bad, now or later 4 12.90%
man, im confused 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,642 Times in 4,008 Posts
Default Tomlin Quicker to Bench Hurt Players Than Cowher?

it seems tomlin is very cautious with injured players. i dont think cowher ever had a "you dont practice on friday, you dont play on sunday" policy but it seems that tomlin pretty much does to this point.

i think this week is as much as a "must win game" as anything if we dont want our playoff hopes rely of other teams sucking or blowing it bungles style down the road).

so is it better too have a 75% hines, polamalu, and hampton out there for a hopeful win, or play it safe, and get the back ups some valuable experience, as more of a gamble yet still hopeful win?

i know it varies with each player but using hines, troy and hampton as the examples, do you think its better to go with the "no practice= no play" philosophy
Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Tomlin Quicker to Bench Hurt Players Than Cowher?

could be a good thing could be bad. If it was very important game(say the pats game) and a player was hurt and not 100 percent but can play, that imo should be a moment in which tomlin puts the player on the field. right now we're still at the beginning of the season with a 3-1 record against a good team, but the season is long, so as of right now not letting them play seems smarter.

I'm not ready to call Tomlin a smarter guy than coach cowher, but he's getting points in his favor for this
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

On the philosphy itself, I am impartial.

However, on those players playing... I have to say, I want them to sit. As I said in another thread, we can blow threw the league this year, that will mean 6 wins and winning the tie-breakers. then, we 2 more wins already, which would give us 8. With this scenario, we can cherry pick 2 more wins and we should have the division.

Browns will DEFINITELY get there third loss this week, and that is our closest team right now.

So no, I say sit them.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

being that it's early in the season they should sit. also, these injuries will be helped by the bye week. the upcoming stretch of afc games is more important than an nfc game in week 5.

hoke is a great backup for big snack, and it would be nice for anthony smith to be able to play FS and SS!

Ward will miss his fourth game in 1 1/4 years...very troublesome.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

It depends on the player. Can Ward go without practicing? Sure. Troy? Definitely. Casey? Yep. But there are a lot of players I'd say no to.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippy View Post
being that it's early in the season they should sit. also, these injuries will be helped by the bye week. the upcoming stretch of afc games is more important than an nfc game in week 5.

hoke is a great backup for big snack, and it would be nice for anthony smith to be able to play FS and SS!

Ward will miss his fourth game in 1 1/4 years...very troublesome.
I'm glad this game is at home. I have to be honest, with the potential for there being FOUR starters out for this one, I'm concerned.

We'll need to depend on Gay (unproven) Nate (unpredictable) A. Smith or Simmons? We may be okay there, and Hoke (very proven but I recall hearing he has an ailment as well).

I'd like to see Ced remind the coaches who he is in this one. Also, Spaeth could make some "Hines Ward Necessity" type 3rd down catches for us....I hope. I also hope the stadium is loud enough to cause at least some offensive comm problems. We need to get some serious pressure though. I'd like to see the kind of pressure we put on Peyton in the Divsional game in '05.
Anyone have any points that may cheer me up a bit?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:44 AM   #7
EmDoubleU
Water Boy

Member Number: 7388

Because we have a buy week next week, i would sit them out or bring them off the bench later on. If the backups play well this will only make us stronger and the confidence higher. We have a tough next 3 games. @denver, @cincy, and home vs ravens.
EmDoubleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:51 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,583 Times in 1,517 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
I'm glad this game is at home. I have to be honest, with the potential for there being FOUR starters out for this one, I'm concerned.

We'll need to depend on Gay (unproven) Nate (unpredictable) A. Smith or Simmons? We may be okay there, and Hoke (very proven but I recall hearing he has an ailment as well).

I'd like to see Ced remind the coaches who he is in this one. Also, Spaeth could make some "Hines Ward Necessity" type 3rd down catches for us....I hope. I also hope the stadium is loud enough to cause at least some offensive comm problems. We need to get some serious pressure though. I'd like to see the kind of pressure we put on Peyton in the Divsional game in '05.
Anyone have any points that may cheer me up a bit?
Who is gay replacing?
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #9
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

I think it's a very good thing to keep these guys off the field until they're closer to 100%

I love seeing all of them suited up and creating havoc on the field....but their longevity as the season goes on is much more important to me.

Maybe Troy's rib injury causes him not to hit so hard...and guys end up breaking tackles on him? Maybe Ward misses a step and looks as bad as Nate Washington did last week because he can't plant and run precision routes? Big Hamp's strength and push off the line is very important...if he doesn't have it, we might as well put a backup in there and let him get the experience.

No...give these guys 2 weeks to heal up with the bye coming up.

I'll take 100% + less experience over 75% + more experience any day. We need these guys down the stretch and that is far more important than a game against the seahawks right now.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:44 AM   #10
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Watching the Steelers play a big game without Troy, Casey and Hines is like watching your favorite 70's band play with a substitute lead singer, drummer and bass guitar player. It's the Steelers but it's not. Like last years opener against Miami without Ben. (thanking the football gods for Charlie Batch).

I know sitting them this week is in the best interest of both the players and the team.

I just hope we have a few guys step up big time........coach says injuries are no excuse for losing. Tomlin, Ariens, Lebeau at least have time to game plan around the substitutions........man, that wasn't pretty last week watching
Troy and Hines sit helplessly on the side while Arizona marched up the field on us. It was a cruel reminder of last years Baltimore game..............I hate it when Hines has that look on his face. And the media loves showing it to us, don't they?

I don't think Ben will be out on the field playing with a concussion under Tomlin's watch. That definitely a good thing and I'm grateful for his caution with our guys health and the long term goals of the season and the future of this team. But I sure would feel better about this game if we had all the guns loaded.

Here's to not playing catch up after the byeweek and to our young guys having their break out game.

Here we Steelers, here we go!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 10-06-2007 at 12:14 PM.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote