Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-06-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Tomlin awaits test of character

Tomlin awaits Steelers' test of character
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, October 6, 2007

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said recently he didn't know how his players would react to their first loss of the season. He'll have his answer in the next 36 hours.

A 21-14 loss at Arizona presented the Steelers with their first setback and a challenge Tomlin has been awaiting since taking over last January.

"When you are less than successful, character is revealed," Tomlin said. "I think it is being revealed that we have some strong character people, and that does not surprise me."

Safety Troy Polamalu said Sunday's home game against Seattle (3-1) is a test to determine how the Steelers (3-1) will respond to their first sign of adversity under Tomlin.

Against Arizona, the Steelers were outscored, 21-7, in the second half, were unable to establish their ground game, turned the ball over twice after intermission and were penalized a season-high 11 times for 72 yards.

The Steelers will be tested mentally, as well as physically, against a Seattle team they defeated in Super Bowl XL.

Polamalu is one of four regulars -- along with wide receiver Hines Ward, nose tackle Casey Hampton and cornerback Bryant McFadden -- who could miss the game because of injuries.

"There's a lot of things that we still have to find out," Polamalu said. "I think it's really important to see how you bounce back from those type of games."

Left tackle Marvel Smith is a true believer. He said the Steelers are a veteran team whose players believe in their system, their coaches and in each other.

Smith expects the Steelers to respond accordingly against Seattle because that's what veteran teams do under these circumstances.

"There's no doubt we're going to bounce back fast and learn from the mistakes we made last week," Smith said. "It's a team where the core players have been together. We know what it takes to win. We know we can play at a high level. If anything, it just creates that much more of a sense of urgency."

Tomlin said game day is when teams reveal how much they've improved from one week to the next.

"I love the feeling you get when you come in here every week and you have to show and prove on weekends," Tomlin said. "You better show and prove more than you don't. I accept that as part of this business. I love that. This is what drives me and I hope that is what drives this football team."

"This game is built around adversity, to tell you the truth," Smith said. "Every game, there's little ups and downs. It's just a matter of how you deal with it and how you come back from it."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_531198.html
Old 10-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Tomlin awaits test of character

So much talent.........so much yet to be written about Tomlins team. Can he pull them all together while we still have our star veterns on the field and can he pull up the youngsters by their chinstraps and bring out the best in them while the irons hot??

Tune in each Sunday..........don't miss it.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
NateC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5543
Default Re: Tomlin awaits test of character

Cant .... Wont.. Should Not....

Sigh STEELERS.... SHOW ME BABY. JUST SHOW ME. /Pounds Chest Near Heart
NateC is offline   Reply With Quote