Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default O/R: With Receiving Corps Depleted, Ben Shows His Greatness

Here's another writer again confirming what the rest of us already knew....we have a franchise quarterback who is well on his way to greatness. As the author correctly notes, he's not in Manning or Brady league yet, but we'll see how he stacks up when he's been in the league 8 or 9 seasons. In my opinion, if he stays healthy, the sky's the limit.
With receiving corps depleted, Roethlisberger shows his greatness
PITTSBURGH - We might be seeing Ben Roethlisberger taking the step from being a good quarterback to a great one.

The Steelers went into their 21-0 win Sunday over the Seattle Seahawks at Heinz Field knowing they would be without wide receiver Hines Ward. Then, minutes before the opening kickoff, Santonio Holmes, Pittsburgh's other starting receiver, was lost after suffering a strained hamstring in warmups.

With just three healthy wide receivers, the Steelers needed a big game from their rushing attack.

Instead, they got an efficient and controlled game from Roethlisberger, who carried the offense when Seattle loaded up to stop the running game. Roethlisberger completed 18 of 22 passes - including his final 13 - for 206 yards and one touchdown. He threw passes to the likes of Nate Washington, Cedrick Wilson and Willie Reid. Nobody is going to confuse those players for Randy Moss.

But on this day, the quarterback made the receivers look good.

"You've got to give the line a lot of credit," said Roethlisberger. "They gave me a lot of time. And the receivers got open. Guys stepped up. There were a lot of questions with Hines being down and Santonio right before the game. Who was going to step up? There was not a doubt in my mind that those receivers would step up. They did a great job of getting open and catching the ball."

Roethlisberger is being a bit too modest.

In many cases, a great receiver or receivers can make a quarterback look better than he is.

In this case, the quarterback made a group of receivers, who would be considered pedestrian on their best day, look like viable options.

How good was Roethlisberger?

Consider that he did not have a single incompletion in the second half, completing all nine of his attempts for 118 yards and a touchdown as the Steelers held the ball for nearly 25 minutes.

On several occasions, it was Roethlisberger's scrambling ability that kept plays alive and allowed those receivers to get open.

Roethlisberger's performance was far different than the one he had against Seattle in Super Bowl XL, when the Steelers won not so much because of Roethlisberger, but in spite of him. In that game, Roethlisberger completed only nine of 21 passes for 123 yards and two interceptions with no touchdowns.

This time, the Steelers won because of Roethlisberger.

Then again, you could say the same thing about his performance this season.

Roethlisberger wanted to prove to his critics that those 23 interceptions he threw last season were the exception, not the norm.

Along the way, Roethlisberger is moving close to achieving superstar status.

Is he at the same level as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning? Certainly not - yet. But he's getting closer each time out.

He's giving the Steelers an opportunity to win each time he steps on the field, something this team hasn't had in a quarterback since Terry Bradshaw.

F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/...s_Hawks_column

Last edited by alittlejazzbird; 10-08-2007 at 12:13 PM.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902
Default Re: O/R: With Receiving Corps Depleted, Ben Shows His Greatness

This is a much better thread than the one started last week asking if Ben was the answer at QB. I'm sure the opinions have changed back to being positive once again though.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

of course they have.. and they will go back to being negative if they lose to denver. you have to love the media...lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog View Post
This is a much better thread than the one started last week asking if Ben was the answer at QB. I'm sure the opinions have changed back to being positive once again though.
That's life in the Steeler Nation - we don't take losses very well!

However, I think most of us understand that losses are an inevitable part of the game, and that Ben's talents and what he means to the Steelers transcend the occasional loss.

Is there any question that a huge part of our success thus far is because of Ben's rebound from last season?
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I'll take the heat for saying that I don't think Ben will ever be at the same level as Brady or Manning. Those guys are unreal.

But I'm fine with that. Ben can be a step below those guys for the next 12 years, as long as he takes us deep into the playoffs and gives us a chance to win it all, every year.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The stats may not show it, but Ben provided further evidence that he can win and gouge D's with his arm(and legs) when they sell out to the run. He and Najeh energized the Offense when the Craphawks D held tight.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Big Ben hasn't even begun to hit his peak stride yet. He's back to 2005 form definately, but still plenty of room to improve. That's a scary thought.

He'll never be Brady or Mannng. I don't expect him to be. I just want Ben to be Ben. And that's be a clutch, gutsy Pittsburgh-style QB and win for this team for many years to come.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

I'll give Manning and Brady all the credit in the world for the way the play but I do think Ben made some plays yesterday that those 2 may not of been able to make. Bens mobility is much better than both of them. But again those guys are amazing players and I hope Ben can someday play well enough to be compared to them or even just get the credit he deserves.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

That was mighty big of Ben yesterday on how he stepped up to the challenge. I'm hoping he will continue to build on that momentum for the rest of the season.

He seemed pretty focused yesterday.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Steeldude
Living Legend

the WR gets open and the QB throws it to him. how is that different from any other QB in the NFL?

BR still focuses on his primary. also, he stills holds the ball too long. he isn't always going to be able to get away from defenders like that.

he didn't make any mistakes and the steelers took care of the rest. notice last week he was one mistake after another? BR still has a ways to go before being considered elite.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #10
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The stats may not show it, but Ben provided further evidence that he can win and gouge D's with his arm(and legs) when they sell out to the run. He and Najeh energized the Offense when the Craphawks D held tight.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Big Ben hasn't even begun to hit his peak stride yet. He's back to 2005 form definately, but still plenty of room to improve. That's a scary thought.

He'll never be Brady or Mannng. I don't expect him to be. I just want Ben to be Ben. And that's be a clutch, gutsy Pittsburgh-style QB and win for this team for many years to come.
i dont want him to be a brady or manning. i like him the way he is. he is a great fit for this team. why change??

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote