Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-10-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509
Default were we lucky?

i rewatched the first half of sunday's game against the seahawks last night. some things really struck me.

now i know we were missing key players, and that has to be taken into account.

but, looking at sundays game by itself, i think we were lucky in a few ways.

1. seahawks were off their game. i saw a lot of frustrastion from hasselback as he was trying to complete passes. now i know there running game has had a slow start this year, and i think maybe he is feeling pressure from that, and the coverage was good, but he had some slant routes and other short passes dropped right off the hands of recievers near the beginning of that game. when the passes were there they just couldn't seem to hang on (for no reason). they had a hard time getting things going, and it wasn't all because of good d.
2. we struggled as well w/ getting the run game started. until davenport had that nice run, which set up a touchdown end of second qt, we have very little affective running game. it was better then it was against the cards, but it wasn't gonna get the job done the rate we were going most of the first half.
3. the croud really helped us. some people may not think this is much of a factor, but as i watched the game i noticed that during that long struggle at the beginning to establish some offense, hasselback seemed frustrated while ben was cool as a could be. when steelers were on offense, the croud got very quite, while they were very riled when the hawks took the ball. that has to affect how clearly you can think and process plays in your mind.

don't get me wrong, this was a great game. the steelers got on a roll, and just looked unstoppable at times. our defense was awsome. i just wonder, putting these things together if we got a little lucky. a couple of big plays from seattle early could have really changed the game.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: were we lucky?

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. I respectfully disagree.

Luck would have been this team some how keeping the game close with the injuries we had going into that game, it being the fourth quarter with under a minute left, Seahawks having the ball on our 45 and driving and a bad snap to Hasselbeck, somebody on our team picks up the fumble and takes it to the house. We win.

21-0 is not luck. That's a team overcoming adversity, not letting injuries keep them down and completely dominating a team from start to finish. Our defense put enough pressure on Hasselbeck to make him throw early. That's part of being a good team. Aaron Smith and Keisel were monsters. Ike was on his game. If anything, we should have picked him off three times in that game. Hasselbeck WAS LUCKY. Roethlisberger was on point. The team as a whole showed up and was ready to play. The fans were loud. I was there. But that's part of playing on the road. Every team encounters it. That game wasn't luck in my book. It was domination.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Here we go. I think this article from the Seattle Times pretty much sums it up......

Seahawks flat-out beaten
By Jos? Miguel Romero
Seattle Times staff reporter
Oct. 7, 2007

PITTSBURGH — How good was the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense Sunday?

So good that, even without two starters, it shut out the Seahawks 21-0, marking the first time Seattle has been held scoreless since September 2000.

And how good was the Steelers' offense?

So good that Brian Russell's arms were bruised and scratched from spending the afternoon chasing receivers and running backs all over the field.

The Steelers' offense, even without its starting receivers, dominated the time of possession, keeping the ball out of the Seahawks' hands for all but 19 minutes, 15 seconds, and barely more than five minutes of the second half.

In the end, the Steelers were the better of two 3-1 teams on a hot fall day at Heinz Field, stuffing the Seahawks in the Super Bowl XL rematch.

"Pittsburgh, they had their way with us," Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander said.

Especially in the second half, when the game got away from the Seahawks.

Leading 7-0, the Steelers converted three third-and-long plays and overcame three holding penalties during a 10:17 drive. It ended in a touchdown run by Najeh Davenport, the first of his two in the game, with 4:43 left in the third quarter.

The Seahawks managed just two first downs for the game from that point, and that made for a far too busy day for the defense.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had 88 passing yards at halftime. He finished with 206 and completed all nine of his second-half attempts, often scrambling out of trouble and making connections while on the run. Running back Willie Parker, a Super Bowl hero, had just 17 yards on 10 carries at halftime. He finished with 102 yards on 28 rushes.

"We should have found a way to get off the field on third down," Russell said.

"We didn't get any turnovers, and I thought that was the biggest difference in the game," linebacker Julian Peterson said.

The Seahawks' offense was not a difference and only had one real chance to score. Following Roethlisberger's 13-yard touchdown pass to tight end Heath Miller late in the second quarter, the Seahawks looked to respond.

Starting from their own 17-yard line, they converted a third down with a 30-yard pass from Matt Hasselbeck to Ben Obomanu. Two players later, Hasselbeck hit tight end Marcus Pollard for 22 yards over the middle and was hit late by Pittsburgh's Anthony Smith, putting the ball at the Steelers' 14 after the personal-foul penalty.

After an incomplete pass, the Seahawks had seven seconds left to score. But Hasselbeck was intercepted in the end zone by Ike Taylor when he underthrew Obomanu.

A mistake, yes, but the Seahawks might have cost themselves even more of an opportunity when they did not use a single timeout during the drive. They lost precious seconds after Hasselbeck was sacked on the fourth play of the drive.

"You can't take them with you," Hasselbeck said of not calling a timeout. "Probably have to look at the film there. At the very least, we should have come out of there with three points."

The drive took place without receiver Deion Branch, who sprained his right foot early in the second quarter and did not return. Fullback Mack Strong also exited early with a pinched nerve in the lower neck and linebacker Leroy Hill missed time in the second half because of cramps.

The Steelers swarmed to Alexander, holding him to 25 yards on 11 carries, the former league Most Valuable Player 's lowest rushing total since November 2002 when he had 18 yards against Denver. Pittsburgh took away Hasselbeck's preferred options and forced safety-valve throws for small gains and never gave up anything big out of their base defense.

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren compared the defeat to one the Seahawks were dealt last season, when the Chicago Bears dumped a previously 3-0 Seattle team 37-6.

"There wasn't much room for error with us today," Holmgren said. "We lost a couple of guys that are key to us.

"For those guys on the team that didn't realize what you have to do to compete against a team like this — a good football team — we learned it today," he said. "And we were able to use that game last year in a positive way."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...00_hawk08.html
Old 10-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
"There wasn't much room for error with us today," Holmgren said. "We lost a couple of guys that are key to us.
Minus Fat Man Holmgren making excuses (we didn't "have a couple of guys that are key to us" out, right Mike?), they knew they got beat and got beat bad. Leave it up to Holmgren to find an excuse.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
delhess
Starter

i can't argue with that guys. i should have introduced my point better i guess. no to backpedal, but i was thinking in broader terms when i started this thread.

i felt going into the this game that it would be a pivotal game for the steelers. if you go 4-1 into the bye week , you have a very solid start. 3-2 on the other hand, doesn't look nearly as good because look at who the first 3 wins were against. 2 losses in a row would feel like the start of slide maybe, and we would be hanging our hopes on everyone getting healthy again. i ithought this game would set the tone for the run of divisional games coming up.

i think we were lucky that we caught a team that was not playing their best ball, while we didn't have some key starters. seattle made some mistakes, and were not able to catch a break it seemed early. we were the best team no doubt on sunday, but is seattle really that bad?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,831 Times in 2,696 Posts

"Luck is the residue of design" - Branch Rickey

The Steelers were lucky in the same way the Cardinals were lucky the week before - they both had the luck to have coaches who designed a superior game plan
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhess View Post
but is seattle really that bad?
No, I don't think they are that bad, but I do think we are that good. Hence beating them 21-0 while having some key starters out is not "luck". It's having solid depth and the big names you do have starting and are healthy stepping it up a notch.

I think it had more to do with what we were doing right than it did with what Seattle was doing wrong. Granted, Hasselbeck looked off, but I think there was a reason for that. Our coverage and the pressure we were putting on him at times made him look "off". Our coaching staff game planning better than Seattle's had alot to do with it.

Bottomline in my book.......21-0 is not luck.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
i can't argue with that guys. i should have introduced my point better i guess. no to backpedal, but i was thinking in broader terms when i started this thread.

i felt going into the this game that it would be a pivotal game for the steelers. if you go 4-1 into the bye week , you have a very solid start. 3-2 on the other hand, doesn't look nearly as good because look at who the first 3 wins were against. 2 losses in a row would feel like the start of slide maybe, and we would be hanging our hopes on everyone getting healthy again. i ithought this game would set the tone for the run of divisional games coming up.

i think we were lucky that we caught a team that was not playing their best ball, while we didn't have some key starters. seattle made some mistakes, and were not able to catch a break it seemed early. we were the best team no doubt on sunday, but is seattle really that bad?
No offense but you're not making any sense.

Steelers were clearly the better team. I don't think 'luck' had anything to do with the a$$-kicking we gave the Seahawks and I'm sure most people would agree. 'Luck' is how the Cowboys won on Monday night
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #9
delhess
Starter

well, i have more thought on this but maybe i'll just look like a jack ass. no offense taken
Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
well, i have more thought on this but maybe i'll just look like a jack ass. no offense taken
I don't think you look like a jackass. I just don't agree with you. That's all. It's your opinion and I respect it, but I just don't buy it.