Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Bengals: selfish or untalented?

Is there too much selfishness or just too little talent?
BY PAUL DAUGHERTY /ENQUIRER.COM

We've had a good time all week at Chad Johnson's expense. Look at Ocho Selfish, showing up his quarterback on national TV. He's here, chatting up Bill Belichick during the game. He's there, closer to the Patriots huddle than his own. He's everywhere in Carson Palmer's face, as the pair walks complaining off the field at halftime Monday night.

Someone needs to slap the man with a temporary restraining order.

Maybe so. Maybe the Bengals are "selfish" yet again, for the hundredth time this week. Maybe they come off as a team needing training wheels and sippy-cups. Is it bad to appear to be in "disarray" when the whole world's watching?

Yeah, I guess. But really, beyond appearances, so what?

It's great talk-show fodder, but when it comes to why they're 1-3, it's not much.

Here's the larger issue: They're not good enough.

Because of a relatively soft schedule the next 12 games - finishing with St. Louis, San Francisco, Cleveland and Miami is a gift from God - the Bengals should keep things interesting. If Marvin Lewis can play couch doctor and keep his team from shattering internally, the Bengals will flirt with the playoffs.

But they're not who they were in 2005. We thought '05 was a beginning. Instead, it's beginning to look like a high-water mark. The Bengals aren't as good as they were then. They took the '05 momentum and drop-kicked it.

Injuries and suspensions have done them in. So has a failure to improve the defense. Losing David Pollack, Odell Thurman, Chris Henry, Chris Perry and Kenny Irons matters more than some player's supposed selfishness. Missing on draft day speaks louder than Chad Johnson at his most loquacious.

Was Chad selfish in 2005, when the offense could whip you any way it pleased? Nope, he was "entertaining."

Meanwhile, linebackers drop like rain in Ireland and the offensive line remains musical chairs. It was painful watching rookie Leon Hall and second-year guy Johnathan Joseph attempting to cope with Randy Moss and an unhurried Tom Brady. How do you play run defense when your two linebackers are a safety and a defensive end?

The Bengals didn't even have a guy on defense familiar with calling the signals.

Lewis fervently denied Wednesday that his team is overmatched. "I've been here when we were," he said. "But not now."

When I ran the theory past Madieu Williams, he said the same thing: "I don't buy that. Not at all. We have a plethora of talent in this locker room." The problem, Williams said, was in the players' inattention to detail, the dreaded "little things" that keep going wrong.

The fact is, though, the Bengals don't have the talent on defense to be in the winners' bracket in the AFC. When your franchise player averages seven sacks a year, you're not scaring anybody. The offense without Perry and Henry (and Eric Steinbach and Eric Ghiaciuc, and with a limpy Willie Anderson and Levi Jones) is suffering. It's living on rep. Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh spend their lives now shaking double-teams.

It's easy to blame it all on selfishness, immaturity etc. That's easier than admitting the talent on hand has slipped since '05. If Lewis can coax nine or 10 wins from this club this year, be thankful his contract runs until 2010.

The challenge for him now is to keep the locker room from flying apart. Preach the message that the cavalry is coming: Rashad Jeanty, Ahmad Brooks, possibly Chris Perry and Chris Henry. Keep chopping wood. Playing shrink is as important for him now as making game plans.

As Dhani Jones put it, poetically: "(Lewis) is not the sail on the boat. He's the keel. That keel's got to be strong and straight, so the boat stays right. If you don't have a good locker room, you're not going to have a good team. That's where the psychology of the coach comes in."

Marvin Lewis has to get the boat back on course. The rest is up to his players. Who, it says here, aren't who they were just two years ago.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Bengals: selfish or untalented?

They have a couple of extremely talented players.........but is that enough to carry the whole team. No.

Are they selfish. Hell yeah....especially when the above talented players are the same ones being called selfish.

Chad Johnson has been quoted as saying "don't expect me to block". He just wants the ball and the stats to get him into that HOF he's so obsessed with. Imagine where the Steelers would be if Hines Ward had that mentality.

Does anyone really think Carson Palmer would block the way Ben did to set up the trick plays to Randle El in the playoffs? (and give up his own stats?) Think about it.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 10-06-2007 at 12:16 PM.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

And again.....Chad manages to put the spotlight on himself. Now he's taking the blame for the the broohaha surrounding the loss to the Patsies. Way to turn the tables Chad.......does anybody really think that one play was responsible for the whole comedy show show called the Bengals / Patriots on Monday night football? It's all about you Chad.....we get it.

Chad Johnson takes blame for interception that turned Patriots game

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
October 3, 2007

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Chad Johnson is taking the blame.

After looking at video of the interception that scuttled the Cincinnati Bengals' comeback Monday night, the Pro Bowl receiver decided it was his fault after all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson and quarterback Carson Palmer exchanged words on the field after Asante Samuel's interception near the goal line snuffed out a drive late in the first half of New England's 34-13 win. Johnson kept at it on the bench, and walked to the locker room at halftime still sniping at Palmer.

The dispute became the defining moment of a loss that dropped the Bengals to 1-3. After the game, coach Marvin Lewis screamed at his players for being selfish, though he didn't single out anyone.

So, who was to blame?

"We're both emotional people," Johnson said Wednesday. "The situation that happened out there was my fault."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
Old 10-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
And again.....Chad manages to put the spotlight on himself. Now he's taking the blame for the the broohaha surrounding the loss to the Patsies. Way to turn the tables Chad.......does anybody really think that one play was responsible for the whole comedy show show called the Bengals / Patriots on Monday night football? It's all about you Chad.....we get it.
Would you rather him throw the coach, the defense, or the quarterback under the bus?
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
NateC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5543

... Could have that At the time lol... instead of geting butt hurt when he got called out. He got all defensive and wanted someone to Chip at to make him feel better... He Shoulda Man'd up at that moment Blow'd down and said hit me on the next one.. was my bad.... Instead he got all Silly and started Nipping at Palmer's Heels cause he hurt his feelings.... It is what it is lol you dont gotta talk to me about sunday on wednesday. i woulda said we went over the tape and we ball learned from it...

it took him DAYS to man up. thats weak to me. W/e I could care less he not on my team
NateC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
Would you rather him throw the coach, the defense, or the quarterback under the bus?
No, but I'd think that he'd take a swing at the coach before throwing him under the bus!

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
He's acting like that one play changed the outcome of the game.......hey look at me again.

They didn't have a prayer of winning that game even if he'd made the play. With Chad, it's all about Chad. I live here without the bengal stripe glasses on and I see it everyday.....week after week.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
JimMac
Water Boy

Member Number: 6864

I love how all of the ESPN/FSN talking heads say "Marvin Lewis is a great guy & coach". Is he? He drafted and/or signed the ingrates that are tarnishing his franchise.

Like the old saying; "Cut off the head and the body will die".

If Sam Wyche could talk, imagine what he would say.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

It's both. It's an undisciplined team with a delusional coach with talent at a few positions, coupled with play that is overrated (like the OL), and the situation is exacerbated by ignorant fans who enable a bad situation to fester. Look at Chad's antics. They aren't cute or funny or helpful, but the fans in Cincy don't know any better. They think it's okay if you can win 10 games. Unfortunately, you can only sneak up on people once, and 10 games is best case scenario for the Bengals.

This is an 8-8 team even with the weak schedule.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

When you look at the stats that matter, this is not a team worthy of all the media praise and attention it gets.

Like the article says, 2005 was the high-water mark. In 2003, 2004, and 2006, they were 8-8.

They are strong at QB and have one of the best receiving tandems in the league. After that, there's not much.