Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #31
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: Best Steelers Defense Ever!

This shouldnt even be in discussion
in my opinion.. Whoever it was saying that Greg Lloyd will be in the Hall Of Fame... I Dont ever see that happening sorry....
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #32
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886

I do this I don't know if anyone else does. When someone mentions the Steelers Defense of the 70's that is exactly what I look at The 70's teams as a whole. I don't take it as one team for one year being better than one of the Steelers Defenses (plural) of the 70's. Which is what I believe some are trying to do. I have the problem of grouping the entire seventies Steelers Defenses together as one and the conclusion I come to is NO WAY better that the Steelers of the 70's. If I look at it that way there has never been and will never be that in the NFL again.

But if I just take one year and place it against one year I have to re-consider my answer. When the Ravens Defense broke the scoring record for points allowed I would argue until my tongue dropped out, but the truth is that may have been the best one year defense that the NFL has ever seen. I could include the Bears of 85.

As for the defense this year they are ahead of all the Steelers Defenses of the 70's and may end up allowing fewer points. So I guess we have to wait and see how they do against the Pats and Cinci. But they are on pace to allow fewer points. I mean they have not given up a first half TD that in itself is, off the charts, in todays NFL.

As for any team being better than the Steelers Defenses of the 70's as a whole that is IMPOSSIBLE. I don't want to misquote him but I believe it was Joe Green who said the best steelers defense was the year they did not make it to the Superbowl 1976. So for seven or eight straight years the dominated. I don't see that happening again.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:33 AM   #33
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

[QUOTE=BlastFurnace;307467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post

Maybe the fastest, but not nearly the best.
And that we agree.

But you will not be the next best defense without speed.

Let's put the 70's where it belongs...in the trophy case. It's not fair to compare generations unless you think that Troy would have problems making the team in the late 70's. Let's not get carried away.

This NFL is a "speed kills" league. So a speedster who is a football player and loves the physical nature of the game is the new greatest...i.e. Troy Polamalu.

Am I wrong? Pretty sure Dungy agrees.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #34
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Member Number: 5212

Okay, the general consensus is that this defense is not the greatest of all time, that the 70s defense was superior. So, to tweak the question, could this be the greatest Steelers defense since the 70s? Opinions?
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #35
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfish View Post
Okay, the general consensus is that this defense is not the greatest of all time, that the 70s defense was superior. So, to tweak the question, could this be the greatest Steelers defense since the 70s? Opinions?
The problem, in my eyes, is that it isn't necessarily that the defense in.. say.. '76... was superior. Its that its only been 5 games against...

Charlie Frye
The Buffalo Bills with J.P. Losman
Alex Smith and the atrocious 49 offense
The Seattle Seahawk's weak ass passing attack.

Most of these teams get it done on the ground. In that respect, YES. This defense is very good. The streak of no-100 yarders is a tribute to that.

Against the Cardinals, I realize we only gave up 14 points, but the defense looked suspect at times. Including that 86 yard drive toward the end capped off with Edge touchdown. Fitzgerald lit us up.

I know, I know... We had 11 penalties, Whiz knew our boys' tendencies, etc, etc.

All I'm saying is that there are some weak spots on this defense that a team like New England are going to be able to exploit.

"Well.... that's New England... that offense is REALLY good..."

If this defense wants to come close to "best since '76" than they better be able to contain New England and any other offense they face this season.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #36
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFist View Post
I agree 100%. I was hurt when Lloyd's injuries sold him short.

Its funny though, I was listening to a commentator for a game in which Joey Porter was playing (Don't remember which one), and a commentator said that Steeler fans often drew comparisons between Joey and Lloyd. And the other commentator responded by saying, "I played against Greg Lloyd, he's no Greg Lloyd." I found that amusing to say the least.
Porter wasn't as good as Lloyd. Lloyd talked a good game and backed it up...not to mention...a rookie left tackle or a running back couldn't take Greg on by themselves. The last couple of years, Joey could be handled one-on-one by either on too many occassions. Joey didn't always back up what his mouth said.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #37
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886

Thats one thing I have to agree with the pass defense is still kinda suspect. They will have their first real challenge when they play the Pats. I got to watch the seventies teams and I have to say even though this team is good they do not instill the fear in the opposing offense that the teams of the seventies did. I truly believe that teams would look on their calender to see when they palyed the Steelers.

Not that they were scared but they new they were in for some hitting. As a matter of fact I believe the 90's D put more fear into the opponent. The way the NFL is today with so much parity I don't believe any defense has that aura about them. I don't know if anyone remembers that Monday night game against the Bills in 94. That was one of the hardest hitting games I have ever seen. Just recently in an ESPN interview Jim Harbuagh said that there was one guy that he feared when he looked across the line that was Greg Lloyd.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #38
Steeldude
Living Legend

this year's defense hasn't really faced anyone decent. this defense is nowhere near any of the 70's defenses or even the defenses from the mid-90's.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:40 AM   #39
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default 07 Defense playing like no other

Defense '07 -- Shades of steel, shades of history
Sunday, October 14, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steel Curtain defense had nothing over the one playing today. The Blitzburgh defense of the mid-90s could not hold a candle to the 2007 version.

In fact, no Steelers defense in the past 70 years has accomplished what this one has through the first five games of the season. As a team, the Steelers have allowed 47 points with one touchdown coming on a punt return.

No Steelers team gave up fewer points in its first five games since the 1937 club allowed 38 in its first five in an era when scoring a touchdown was cause for a ticker-tape parade.

Not even some of the defenders who helped do it believe it.

"Really?'' nose tackle Chris Hoke asked. "I didn't realize that. That's huge. You think of all the great defenses who have played here. All the great Steel Curtain teams in the '70s, the defenses Bill Cowher had in the '90s. Some teams we had in the 2000s. We've had some great teams here. That's a big accomplishment."

Even the 1976 Steelers, the one Art Rooney Sr. called his best team, did not come close. In perhaps the greatest defensive performance of all time, that team shut out five of its final nine opponents and did not allow a touchdown in eight of those nine games.

But that was not the case in the first five games of 1976 when they allowed 110 points, not even close to what this team has done.

They lead the NFL in fewest points per game (9.4) and are first in fewest yards per game (235.6), fewest yards per play (4.2) and tied for first with 17 sacks. They have allowed no touchdowns in the first half of games and only two field goals by San Francisco.

The Steelers are playing the kind of dominating defense that could spawn another lasting nickname.

Deshea Townsend, the 10-year veteran cornerback, has a few theories as to why they have been so dominant.

"I think for one, no big plays," Townsend said.

The Steelers have allowed no pass completion longer than the one of 38 yards caught by Larry Fitzgerald in Arizona. There have been four passes of 25 yards or longer against them. In the first five games last season, they already had allowed two of 48 yards or longer and six of 25 and above.

"Our offense is playing well too," Townsend said. "That helps.''

The Steelers have possessed the ball for an average of 35 minutes, 12 seconds -- nearly 10 1/2 minutes longer than their opponents. That helps a defense stay fresh and, when they're not on the field, they can't give up yardage.

As for other reasons: Just one starter changed from last season (linebacker James Harrison for Joey Porter) on what has been a good defense for several years. They have had better play from the cornerbacks, and an improved pass rush. Less than potent opposing offenses through five games also could be cited except the Seahawks came in with a strong defense last Sunday and left with the first shutout in Heinz Field history.

"We've had some good defenses here before," said end Aaron Smith. "I don't know, maybe guys have been longer in this system, more together. This defense has been the same group of guys for a long time."

Coordinator Dick LeBeau, as previously noted, also has been given more freedom to call his defenses by coach Mike Tomlin. LeBeau has deployed a different defense on occasion this season as well.

Traditionally, on passing downs, the Steelers would move into their dime defense -- six in the secondary, one middle linebacker and four up front with the two of those on the outside being linebackers. They call in the quarter defense when they use three safeties and three cornerbacks instead of two and four.

At times they have used four linemen up front instead of two with two linebackers in their pass defense. Those four, when healthy, are Smith, Hoke, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel with Keisel often standing up and the other three down.

They call that formation their Big Quarters and use it with six defensive backs and one middle linebacker.

"Some games we play it quite a bit and some we don't play at all," Hoke said.

Its use is more effective on second-and-long when a team might throw or run from a spread formation.

"They try to come out with multiple-receiver formations and run the ball," Hoke said. "We try to put some bigger guys up front; it deters them from running the ball."

"I like it," Smith said. "It's a nice changeup, especially when teams try to get us in quarters and then run the ball. It gives them a different look."

There will never be another Steel Curtain, but this defense is playing like it.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07287/825304-66.stm]
Old 10-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #40
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: 07 Defense playing like no other

I find it interesting that comparisons to the Steel Curtain are being made.

It is DEFINITELY too early for those comparisons... but if we start shutting out teams... they will come.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote