Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers return to tough stretch that doesn't look so difficult

Steelers return to tough stretch that doesn't look so difficult
By The Associated Press
Monday, October 15, 2007

When they were handed their 2007 schedule last spring, the Pittsburgh Steelers must have thought this would be their toughest stretch all season.

It includes consecutive games at Denver and Cincinnati, teams they beat on the road during their Super Bowl run two seasons ago; a Monday night home game against last year's AFC North champion, Baltimore, which defeated them easily twice last season; then, a quick turnaround for Cleveland at home, followed by the Jets in their third road game in five weeks.

What the Steelers couldn't have imagined a few months ago was that only one of the five opponents - the Ravens (4-2) - would have a winning record six weeks into the season. Or that the Steelers (4-1), except for a glitch at Arizona, couldn't have handled the transition from former coach Bill Cowher to new coach Mike Tomlin much more smoothly or successfully.

The Broncos (2-3), Bengals (1-4), Browns (3-3) and Jets (1-5) are off to slow starts that may make the Steelers wary, but probably won't prevent them from being favored to beat all four. No team the Steelers have beaten currently has a winning record, and they can't play a team with one until Nov. 5 against Baltimore.

It's not easy to figure out why the Steelers have been so successful. As usual with the Steelers, no matter the coach or the season, it all begins with a running game that averages 167 yards per game and is second in the NFL.

Willie Parker is averaging 101.4 yards despite running behind an offensive line that has two new starters in center Sean Mahan and right tackle Willie Colon.

"It all starts with the running backs," Parker said. "If we have a good game, the whole team has a good game. So we're like the center of attention with this team."

The Steelers are 16-1 when Parker runs for 100 yards or more. This season, they have won by at least a 21-point margin all four games in which Parker has gone over 1 00.

"It's not a coincidence - pretty much, since I have been here, if we rush for 100 yards, we win the game and most of the time we win it big," Parker said. "We want to stick with the run and just make plays in the running game and the passing game. But it opens up everything when you can run the ball."

The Steelers, despite being without longtime star Joey Porter, are playing better than could have been imagined defensively, too. They have yet to give up a touchdown in the first half, yielding only a combined six points to five opponents, and have allowed only 47 points overall.

They haven't permitted so few points through five games in 70 years, or since their 1937 team gave up only 38 during a lower-scoring era than today.

"I just think they're coming out of the locker room ready to play football," Tomlin said. "That's a good thing. Sometimes teams warm up and find rhythm, especially defensively, and we're coming out the locker room ready to play ."

Scoring points early has been a problem for the Broncos, whom the Steelers meet on Sunday night. Denver has scored multiple touchdowns in the first half only once, while beating the Raiders 23-20 in their second game, and they were limited to a field goal in the first half of their last game, a 41-3 loss at home to San Diego on Oct. 7.

"Denver is a tough place to play - tough team, good defense," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "So it is going to be a challenge for us. We know we have a tough stretch and it all starts with Denver, that's our first stop."

Notes: This will be the first Steelers-Broncos game in Denver since Pittsburgh's 34-17 win in the AFC championship game in January 2006. Denver won in Pittsburgh last season, 31-20. ... The Broncos also had their bye last weekend. ... Some Steelers defensive players visited Porter, who is now with the Dolphins, in Miami late last week after Tomlin gave them four days off instead of the scheduled three. The Steelers returned to practice Monday but will be off, as usual, on Tuesday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_532779.html
Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088
Default Re: Steelers return to tough stretch that doesn't look so difficult

the wierd thing is i think the clevland game is going to be the toughest of the stretch...Which is kind of wierd considering ho bad we beat them earlier in the season

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

we just need to replace indy with the cleveland game and we would be reliving our playoff run all over again.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by verks36 View Post
the wierd thing is i think the clevland game is going to be the toughest of the stretch...Which is kind of wierd considering ho bad we beat them earlier in the season
True... but this is a different Cleveland team. Sure, it is the same players except for the QB... but the team we are coming in to play now has confidence... and think they can win almost any game.

This will be a whole different ball game!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I hate to see an article like this. Lets hope the players aren't reading the paper. Its human nature to read a story like this and want to believe it. Next thing you know the team is 5-5. Still a long way to go.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I hate to see an article like this. Lets hope the players aren't reading the paper. Its human nature to read a story like this and want to believe it. Next thing you know the team is 5-5. Still a long way to go.
A little bit of belief in one's self is a good thing to have.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Articles like this blow. I don't want the Steelers to lose their focus.

The Rats always play them tough, and you never which Steeler team will show up against Cincy(The dominant one or the turnover machine). The Browns are vastly improved and are playing with a lot of confidence. No, not an easy stretch by any means.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
True... but this is a different Cleveland team. Sure, it is the same players except for the QB... but the team we are coming in to play now has confidence... and think they can win almost any game.

This will be a whole different ball game!!
Ya i know what you mean watching the browns play recently it looks like the are playing with a chip on their shoulder. They play with some fearless type swagger which could be dangerous for us

but there D is still just terrible and i think are O will put up some huge points and there is no way Anderson is going to do that well against are D espically if Jamal Lewis is not 100% by then

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I don't think Tomlin will have the slightest problem motivating the team to play the Ravens and Bengals. Just play the tapes of last year and they'll be fired up. I know I would be, and I wasn't even on the field!
Old 10-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

As I've always maintained, I take NO team lightly, no matter what their record is. However, I do believe 100% in this team and Coach Tomlin and as long as they continue to believe in themselves and in each other as contenders, the rest will take care of itself.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote