Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #11
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251
Default Re: Roethlisberger's More Than a Manager

I see things a little different here. Elway did not win a super bowl until he had Terell Davis and a good running game. When Denver won back to back super bowls Elway did not throw the ball 35-40 times per game. Montana took what you gave him and, he was very accurate. Look at Troy Aikman and as much as I hate admit this being a steeler fan he was anothe QB that took what you gave him. They had a such a good cast of players. Again Aikman did not have to win the game on his own. Some of these so called experts need to wake up and smell the coffee. I've said this once and I'll say it again Ben is a winner and he has had good sucess at every level of football that he has played. I realize that we have a very good team here in Pittsburgh but, Ben is a playmaker and I will just about always defend him.

Ben can make all the throws and, I really believe if he makes the right decisions this year we will be to really do something. I know I'm rambling here but, this is no reason why we can't win it all this year like in 2005. Our defense is good and, the offense is getting there. The special teams does concern me a little but, I'm sure we can correct giving up that big play on sprcial teams. Now back to Ben I think alot of people are jealous of him because he is the youngest Qb to ever win the super bowl.

Striker
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
Roethlisberger is an average QB, that's why he gets the game manager title. He's not Manning or Brady but he definitely gets the job done. You could split hairs and call him slightly above average but that also would be silly.

Roethlisberger probably won't set too many all time passing records but he's serviceable, aka average, aka game manager.

Don't get hung up on titles.

Average? Define how Ben is an average QB.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:21 AM   #13
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
I'm glad Ben's "just an average game manager". Makes it even more fun to rub it in opposing fans' faces when he beats them.
Absolutely!

Every other team's board is hilarious in how they deal with Ben.

They all think he is going to blow up, then have to come up with reasons why he doesn't... EVERY GAME... the next team does the same thing.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

I also think Ben is a rare bread because, witrh his size 6'5 240lbs he can move and make some great plays. That is when he is so dangerous and, maybe the so called experts do not want to give him props. The other teams however due know when the steelers come to town they better be ready. He is much more than a game manager and, why throw it 35-40 times when you don't have to?
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #15
4n2t0
Team Captain

Member Number: 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
By this definition, Joe Montana was a "game manager" as well. More proof of the "fantasy football syndrome."
Don't be facetious, you know what I meant. What mentality was used to proclaim Montana a game manager? I'd like to know what syndrome that falls under. Montana's 8th in passing TD's and 9th in passing yards all time, that doesn't qualify as a game manager.

See, I can be facetious too.
4n2t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #16
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

If Ben's just a game manager, how come when he has a bad game, the Steelers usually play bad and lose? I thought the team and the talent around Ben carries him?

I pray to God Ben never shakes off the 'Game Manager' label. Opposing teams won't respect him and key on the running game. And you know damn well Ben can win games with his arm. You're kidding yourself if you say he can't.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #17
Steeldude
Living Legend

BR is pretty much just a game manager. he takes what the defense gives him. there is nothng wrong with beng a game manager. not every QB can be a brady or manning.

until he proves that he can consistently carry the offense when the running game isn't working he will always be a game manager. as of now, when the running game isn't working he folds ala cardinals' game.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #18
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Calling Ben an average QB is the most ignorant thing I've read on this board, especially from a Steelers' fan who I would think has watched Ben more than the average fan. Average would be Chad Pennington, Damon Huard, Trent Green. Ben is significantly better than those guys and I rate him anywhere from third to fifth best in league. A couple of years ago when Brady wasn't putting up Manning numbers he was called a manager and a system QB. I will not use motorcycle injury as excuse because thats part of who he is and he should be held accountable, but last year was only bad year of his 3.25 years in the league. Not many QB's have started out this good that time frame. I see the Steelers winning another SB under Ben, and only if that happens will he earn the respect of ignorant fans who can't spot talent.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #19
wvsportsman
Water Boy

Member Number: 3538

Hey guy's and gals, anyone but me remember what Bradshaw went thru in his early years? I think he eventully became more than a game manager! I can also remember Peyton Manning, Brady and Elway's early years weren't all rosie either. Give the man time! I think he's done well so far..
wvsportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #20
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,050 Times in 393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
What mentality was used to proclaim Montana a game manager? I'd like to know what syndrome that falls under.
See, I can be facetious too.
The "fantasy football" mentality that says if a guy doesn't air it out 40-50 times for 300+ every game, he's a "game manager." THAT mentality.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote