Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 AM   #51
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,806 Times in 2,684 Posts
Default Re: Davenport is getting arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

And at THIS point... if the police are prosecuting, I would suspect that he is guilty.
I assume local prosecutors have learned their lesson from the Duke lacrosse fiasco, but Durham DA Mike Nifong is Exhibit A for how that ain't necessarily so.

We are dealing with local law enforcement here rather than the U.S. Justice Dept. A Team, but with the evidence havig been assessed for a week, my guess is the third party witnesses backed up the mother. In addition, we do know Najeh has experienced issues in how to work through relationship disputes in a socially acceptable manner in the past.

My guess is 4 games on the pine.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #52
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

IF convicted, it's safe to assume he's cut from the team huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #53
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I think this is a big steaming pile of bullcrap.

How the hell do you not notice her injuries until the next day? Because there were none, she let a friend rough her up afterwards so she can go after even more of his paycheck so she can get her nails done, hair extensions, and Gucci purses and shoes.

In Lorain County (where I live and work) I know most women don't use their child support money on their kids. They don't use it on household bills, rent, or any of that stuff. I don't know how many women come into the gas station I work at and use their child support card (in Lorain County child support goes on a prepayed debit card) to buy alcohol and cigarettes.

My one friend works at a beauty salon at the local mall and so many women pay for their nails, hair, and other stuff with thier child support card. I mean these women max out their cards on that stuff once a month because it ain't their money.

These are the same women that say their kids need clothes, shoes, school supplies and they don't get enough in child support to cover that stuff.

I expect the charges to be dropped. Of course the neighbor is sticking up for his ex. They are friends, she's gonna have her friend's back on this.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #54
Steeldude
Living Legend

if he is found guilty then cut him.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #55
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
IF convicted, it's safe to assume he's cut from the team huh?
We shall see - will be interested to see how Tomlin reacts to this.

Interesting to re-read this linked story earlier this week

"As I'm driving off, she ran and jumped in the car, holding onto my 2-year-old son in the car seat driving down the street," he said. "She was trying to get my oldest son out of the car. To get me to stop the car, she put her knee to my 2-year-old son's chest. He started crying, that's when I stopped, got out of the car and went around the corner.

"I ran around the car and she pulled my other son out. When I got my son and started grabbing him, she took off running screaming."

Davenport then said he returned to Person's home and called the police twice. He said after waiting approximately 20 minutes, he drove back to the spot where Person was and an incident occurred.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07281/823773-66.stm

The bit about returning to the house, calling the cops, waiting 20 minutes then returning to "the spot where Person was" at which time "an incident occurred" is oddly written.

So Davenport goes back to the house while Person stays in the street and 20 minutes later he goies back to where she is and they mix it up some more?

Next time don't talk to the press without having a lawyer editing your statements.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #56
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Well...if convicted, let's see what Gary Russell has.

Please Tomlin....no Carey Davis!
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #57
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRobinson View Post
Are you saying he can't be released on bail prior to arraignment or he can't post bail until there is a conviction or acquittal?
He can't post bail prior to arraignment. This is why it would be a mistake if Davenport decided to turn himself in this weekend. If he does then he will most-likely spend the entire weekend in jail and if he's lucky, he'll see the judge on Monday morning. Turn yourself in Monday morning Najeh.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #58
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
Personally the Police don't give a $hit either way. It's the tough domestic violence laws that ORDER Police Officers to 1. Identify the "Primary Physical Aggressor" and
2. Arrest and incarcerate the primary physical aggressor.

Now in 99.9% of male versus female physical confrontations, I think that any numb skull is capable of identifying the primary physical aggressor so therefore it's not a case of the police taking the womans side of the story.

Don't hate on the police for taking action. Hate yourself for your actions that invited the police.
The police must be pretty big numbskulls, then. They didn't "notice" Person's marks until now. In most DV cases, if one mark is seen on a female, the aggressor(the man) is arrested on the spot.

How come the police didn't arrest Najeh then? Instead of now? If the laws are so damn tough? If it were so increasingly obvious he whooped on her, the police would've noticed it when they were called there. That's fishy to me.

Until Najeh is found guilty, this reeks of yet another "baby momma extortion of a pro athlete father" case.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #59
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The police must be pretty big numbskulls, then. They didn't "notice" Person's marks until now. In most DV cases, if one mark is seen on a female, the aggressor(the man) is arrested on the spot.

How come the police didn't arrest Najeh then? Instead of now? If the laws are so damn tough? If it were so increasingly obvious he whooped on her, the police would've noticed it when they were called there. That's fishy to me.

Until Najeh is found guilty, this reeks of yet another "baby momma extortion of a pro athlete father" case.
I have no clue what happened, but there apparently are several witnesses to the incident other than Najeh & the accuser. And the timeline for his version of the story has some odd gaps in it.

With this guy's history of deviant behavior I would not bet anything significant on his innocence here.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #60
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

I went back and looked at KDKA's initial report on this story, back when the incident first happened:

Quote:
(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Cleveland police investigating a domestic dispute involving a Pittsburgh Steeler have released 911 tapes from three people ? including one from a witness who described a man punching a woman.

According to police, an apparent custody dispute led to an altercation between Steelers Running Back Najeh Davenport and the mother of his 5-year-old son, Anita Person, last night in Ohio.

A woman who asked not to be identified told emergency dispatchers about "a situation" in which a woman and "her baby's father" were arguing. "He was just punching all on her and she was screaming, 'help.'"

The anonymous caller went on to say that the man "keeps circling around the block."

Davenport, however, denied the claims that he hit Person -- telling a Cleveland television station that he never touched the woman.

He says the trouble started when he went to pick up his son for a custody visit. He says he had court paperwork stating that he could pick up his son for visitation; but Person grabbed the little boy out of his moving vehicle and took off.

"I got a court order to pick up my son," Davenport told a 911 operator, "and when I came to pick him up, she said I had to take him as is ? with no clothes. And it's in the order that she has to provide clothes for him."

"When I left," Davenport added, "when I was pulling out with my sons in my car. She jumped in my car to take him back.. out of a moving car!"

Police did not arrest anyone involved in the incident. In a statement, Cleveland police said: Officers responding to the scene of the dispute gathered information from both parties to the dispute as well as witnesses. No arrests were made as investigating officers were unable to determine a primary physical aggressor in the dispute.

The parties involved, however, could still pursue charges against each other.
We can all be grateful at least that it was over a custody dispute, something lots of exes go through, and not your more garden-variety drunken-NFL-player-beating-up-his-wife/girlfriend/mother of two of his seven kids kind of thing, or the ever-popular fight at a strip club. Everybody wanting to remain anonymous in the story is definitely suspicious, and leads me to believe that they are relatives and/or friends of the woman.

But if he's telling the truth, then for crying out loud, Najeh....you make millions of dollars - could you have stopped at Target and bought the kid some clothes?????

If he's really guilty of the charges, then of course he deserves whatever punishment he receives. Some parts of it seem pretty fishy though, especially considering that Najeh himself called 911; I can't see why you'd do that if you had something to hide. There has to be more to this story.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote