Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default The Legend of Romo?????

I about gagged when I read this....I mean, how many games has this kid actually started, and already he's referred to as "legendary?" Puh-leeze.

Oh, wait a minute -- I just discovered that this guy is a columnist for the Fort Worth paper. OK, I get it now. And my response is unchanged - Puh-leeze.
Opinion: Another chapter in the Legend of Romo
Even in miserable outing, Cowboys QB summons some magic
OPINION
By Jim Reeves
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 12:11 a.m. ET Oct 10, 2007

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - The Legend of Tony Romo was crumbling before our very eyes Monday night.

Already annointed as the next great young quarterback in the NFL, leader of the only undefeated team in the NFC, we were watching his bloody destruction in brutal color replay after color replay, interception by ugly interception.

He was serving this game to the Bills on a platter, like hot wings down at Buffalo?s famous Anchor Bar, where they were first created in 1935.

But isn?t this what fairy tales are made of? Isn?t it always darkest just before the dawn?

The story, after all, isn?t over until the final chapter is written, and Romo and the Dallas Cowboys wrote their own improbable ending to what will no doubt go down as a classic in the annals of Monday Night Football.

When it was over, there stood Romo, author of five interceptions and a killer fumble, at midfield, his face gracing America?s TV screens, grinning that all-American grin of his, a bonafide you-had-to-see-it-to-believe-it miracle comeback under his belt.

For the Cowboys, there was nothing pretty about Dallas 25, Buffalo 24, until Nick Folk?s 53-yard field goal sailed through the uprights with no time left on the clock.

Even then, he had to do it twice.

And then, baby, it was beautiful.

Admit it, Romo should have been a basket case long before he had a chance to lead the Cowboys back into this game.

Four interceptions, two returned for touchdowns, in the first half alone would have driven some quarterbacks over the edge. Not Romo, not even when he coughed up a critical fumble to kill a fourth quarter drive or threw a fifth interception as the Cowboys were driving for a score after that.

?Well, he didn?t throw six,? coach Wade Phillips deadpanned. ?On the sideline, he still was calm. It?s not like he was excited or having problems. As far as his demeanor was concerned, he still felt like we could win it.

?He had a rough night, but he kept battling back. We still believe in Tony and he made a couple of plays at the end.?

More than a couple, actually. With the Cowboys trailing 24-16 with 3:45 to play, he sparked an 80-yard, 12-play drive by completing 9-of-11 passes, including a four-yard touchdown pass to Patrick Crayton to cap it.

Needing a two-point conversion to tie, Romo lofted a fade to Terrell Owens in the back left corner of the end zone. The pass hit Owens in the hands, but cornerback Jabari Greer raked it loose as he came down. The Bills still led, 24-22.

?Going into the onside kick, I thought it was over,? Romo admitted.?

Instead, Sam Hurd tipped the onsides kick forward and Tony Curtis recovered it at the Buffalo 47 with 18 seconds to play. The Cowboys had burned all of their timeouts on their previous scoring drive.

?Obviously, you have a whole new sense of urgency,? Romo said. ?You just try to get yourself in position to kick the field goal.?

Romo appeared to have done that with one 22-yard pass to Owens to the Buffalo 25, but when Bills coach Dick Jauron challenged the catch, the play was overturned because Owens had dropped the ball and the Cowboys were down to 13 seconds.

Romo calmly hit Marion Barber for four and Patrick Crayton on the sideline for eight to the 35.

With two seconds left, rookie kicker Folk trotted out for the biggest field goal of his NFL career and he nailed it easily ... except that the Bills had called timeout just before the snap. So he simply did it again.

?He got me out of the doghouse tonight,? Romo told sideline reporter Michelle Tafoya, who asked him how he recovered from throwing four first half interceptions.

?Really, it was four?? he asked innocently. ?I thought there was about seven in the first half."

Four was plenty, especially when the Bills returned two of them for touchdowns. They also got a 103-yard kickoff return for a TD from Terrence McGee in the second half.

Somehow, the Bills still managed to lose.

?They played their hearts out,? Jauron said. ?We needed one more play to win the game and we didn?t get it, and that?s where it is. It hurts. That one hurt.?

Romo had totally melted down under the scalding lights of Monday Night Football and lived to laugh about it.

?The thing about Tony is that he didn?t hesitate to make the big throws at the end,? said tight end Jason Witten, who finished with nine catches. ?He?s a fighter. He comes back and makes the big throws time and time again.?

It?s what legends are made of. They get hit in the mouth and they either run and hide or they fight back. Romo got hit in the mouth time after time Monday night, but at the end, he was still standing.

And grinning.

Next week, he faces off against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots in a battle of NFL unbeatens.

Another challenge, another chapter to write.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21201288/

Last edited by alittlejazzbird; 10-10-2007 at 11:01 AM.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: The Legend of Romo?????

Yep, this topic was touched on in the Cowboys/Bills gameday thread, but this merits saying again - if Ben had the kind of night Romo did with the same outcome (winning), he'd be crucified for it. I'm sorry, but 5 picks and a lost fumble is horrible, win or lose, and that's the plain truth with no shellack on it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

humph....
Old 10-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

I think the article also fails to mention that the Cowboys wouldn't have needed "Romo's magic" in the 4th quarter if he had done his job properly in the 1st half. If he'd done that, the Cowboys would have been cruising in a blowout midway through the 3rd. Next Roger Staubach? Yeah, right.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

The Ballad of Romo

He was tall and goofy, and rode out of the West
With silver star upon his vest.
He was mean and nasty right clear through,
Which was kinda weird, 'cause he was yellow too.

They called him Romo.

Big Romo.
Over-rated Romo.
Big...over-rated Romo.
The hundred and forty-second fastest gun in the West.

He came from an Eastern Illinois spread,
With a 10-gallon john deere cap on his head.
That people would forget, (was his desire)
that he was picked up off the free agent wire

Romo.
Big Romo.
Over-rated Romo.
Big...over-rated Romo.

A hundred and forty-one could draw faster than he,
But Romo was looking for one forty-three.
A value pick..when the day is done
If only poor Romo could hold on to his gun.

Romo.
Big Romo.
Over-rated Romo.
Big...over-rated Romo.

The Steelers Boys was comin' on a train at first sun,
And the town said, "Romo, we need your gun."
When that train pulled in at the break of dawn,
Romo's gun was there, ......but Romo was gone.

Romo.
Big Romo.
Over-rated Romo.
Big...over-rated Romo.
The hundred and forty-second fastest gun in the West

Well, finally Romo got three slugs in the belly.
It was right outside a Dallas Deli.
He was sittin' there twirlin' his gun around,
And butterfingers Romo..... gunned himself down!

Romo.
Big Romo.
Over-rated Romo.
Big...over-rated Romo.
The hundred and forty-second fastest gun in the West
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,755 Times in 1,787 Posts

Anyone watch part of the greenbay game, they were refering to favre as an old romo.
These people need to pull their heads out of their a**.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Just to clarify that my opinion doesn't stem from my intense dislike of Dallas, I want to state for the record that I would take offense at Ben being called legendary, too.

Such status has to be earned over the course of an entire career, and in my opinion it's an insult to those who have deservedly reached legendary status to imply that young, currently playing quarterbacks in any way belong on that level.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
Just to clarify that my opinion doesn't stem from my intense dislike of Dallas, I want to state for the record that I would take offense at Ben being called legendary, too.

Such status has to be earned over the course of an entire career, and in my opinion it's an insult to those who have deservedly reached legendary status to imply that young, currently playing quarterbacks in any way belong on that level.
Especially ones that don't even have a full season worth of starts under their belts. At the risk of sounding like I'm on a soapbox, I get annoyed at seeing mediocrity being lauded in the press. The Cowboys are lucky it was Buffalo and not NE that suckfest occurred against.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

here is the legendary Romo

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Member Number: 5212

I didn't see that game, but I've been sick of Romo being considered the second coming for a while. I don't see it, personally. Romo may in fact be the greatest quarterback since Marino or Montana or whoever, but he hasn't earned that reputation yet. How many Championship games has he won? How many Superbowls has he participated in? I mean, even Rex Grossman got his team to the Superbowl, which is more than Romo's done.

lamberts-lost-tooth - great parody. Loved it!

Ooh - I'm a Draft Prospect! I like that a lot better than Waterboy.
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote