Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-13-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Farrior Flourishing

http://postgazette.com/pg/07286/825201-66.stm

LeBeau's linebackers keep opposing QBs guessing

Dick LeBeau is doing more than moving safety Troy Polamalu and defensive end Brett Keisel all over the field, making it difficult for offenses to find them.

Nobody seems to be able to locate inside linebacker James Farrior, either.

At least, not before he gets to the quarterback.

"You ever watch the Discovery Channel, with those little cheetahs waiting on their prey?" asked outside linebacker Clark Haggans. "They kind of creep and creep, just like a snake in the woods, and -- BAM! -- at the last second they attack."

It is not very often that inside linebackers in a 3-4 defense or middle linebackers in a 4-3 defense get to register sacks. But on a team that relies on its outside linebackers to get to the quarterback, it is Farrior who is tied for the American Football Conference lead with four sacks with Denver's Elvis Dumervil.

Farrior had two more sacks against the Seattle Seahawks and has already tied his single-season high. The Steelers asked the Elias Sports Bureau to credit him an extra half-sack against the Seahawks on a play in which Farrior shared a sack with safety Tyrone Carter, believing Farrior should have been credited with a full sack.

That would have made Farrior the sole AFC leader. But, after studying the play, Elias turned down the request.

"They've been putting me on the edge and letting me rush on third down," Farrior said. "I'll start in the middle sometimes, sometimes I line up out there and I'm coming off the end. It just gives the offense a different look, try to switch it up a little bit.

"It's not a new look. It's just working out that way, based on what the offense is giving us. There's a little bit of luck involved in that."

Farrior said all his sacks have come from the outside, even if he lines in the middle and runs to the inside of Haggans or James Harrison, the right outside linebacker.

It is just another wrinkle in LeBeau's defense, designed to keep quarterbacks guessing which player is coming from what direction. It is one of the reasons the Steelers are tied for the NFL lead with 17 sacks.

"He's very lucky because he's running free off the edge and everybody else gets murdered running up in the line," Haggans said, joking. "He kind of creeps around the side. He's the clean-up guy. Wherever there's a little gap or a hole he needs to fill, he does it."

Since 1992, when this version of the 3-4 defense was installed under Bill Cowher, an outside linebacker had led the team in sacks 12 times. An inside linebacker has never led the team in sacks since the statistic began being recorded in 1972.

But it's not just the Steelers. Of the 39 NFL players with more than two sacks, 10 are linebackers. But only two of those -- Farrior and Chicago's Brian Urlacher (3) -- are inside or middle linebackers.

"It's more conventional because you have guys lining up on the edge," said Haggans, who is second on the team with 3.5 sacks. "But they don't let a lot of guys on the edge do stuff in the middle I think coach LeBeau is just trying to utilize him more."

Farrior said he doesn't think he is blitzing more. Rather, he said the holes are opening for him to get to the quarterback because he's coming from different angles.

"The whole defensive line is doing a good job of eating up blocks and putting us in situations where we're one-on-one with the running back or tight end," Farrior said. "We're supposed to win that battle every time."

But it isn't just sacks by a 32-year-old inside linebacker that are on the rise. After five weeks, NFL linebackers have recorded 36 interceptions, putting them on pace for the highest number in 26 years.

Farrior, though, is not part of that trend. He does not have an interception this season and has just eight in his 11-year career.

"I like interceptions better than sacks," Farrior said. "I just can't hold onto the ball."

Last edited by I-Want-Troy's-Hair; 10-13-2007 at 12:30 AM.
I-Want-Troy's-Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:32 AM   #2
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: Farrior Flourishing

farrior almost had an easy interception TD if he would have held on to the ball in cleveland. that ended up being the browns only scoring drive as well.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Yep... I was talking about the lack of an outside blitzin the last couple of games, but also said the cover 2 is freeing up Farrior in a big way, and I know he's loving it.

I took him in my Fantasy league as my first independant defensive player & the guys called me a homer. LOL

Team defense: Pittsburgh With him & Farrior getting sacks, I love seeing that +2 light up twice. :)
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:20 AM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Farrior keeps finding drops in that fountain of youth, as well as Haggans. They've been awesome so far this year.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:21 AM   #5
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Pulling their own weight

When everyone pulls their own weight...

What is fascinating about our linebacking crew is that it is absent of the marquee. We all dig Joey because he brought it to the field - along with a string of marquee predecessors.

Farrior is on the way to the ProBowl. (No GQ included) But he knows his stats are subsets of the LeBeau equation. And the fact that he is an outstanding player seems to take a backseat to being team player.

Farrior Harrison Foote Haggans. The lack of self-promotion is very refreshing.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:11 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,304 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I am really impressed with Farriors play this year.I hope he can keep up the pace and make the probowl.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:44 AM   #7
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

The middle linebackers have always been the unsung heroes of our defence. The outside backers get the glory whilst the inside guys are critical to the overall success of the run defence.

It is great to see Farrior get the recognition he deserves. He is a low profile guy who just keeps on getting it done for the rest of his team mates.

Personally I would like to so the team in the next couple of years draft a quality inside linebacker for Farrior and Foote to take under their wing and develop. (maybe that is the plan already with Timmons???)
Old 10-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Yep. He's taking the role of being the leader of the (def) pack all right. I like him a lot.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

I knew Haggans would have a good year he still has that spark in him! and for Farrior he is just a very smart linebacker who can read the offense pretty well and can make good plays!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

I really thought to see a drop in production this year from Farrior because of his age but he is playing great ball.Hopefully he can keep it up for a few more seasons until like Aussie_steeler said we have trained a good replacement.