Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default It's Third and Wrong for the Bengals

I love how they blame everyone but Palmer

Quote:
By Mark Gokavi Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 17, 2007

CINCINNATI — If the Bengals defense doesn't pare down that 31 points per game against average, it may not matter what the offense does.

But NFL games are won and lost on third down. Right now, Cincinnati is losing that battle.

In the past two games, the Bengals are 1-of-18 on third down. Cincinnati is 20-of-60 (33.3 percent) overall. Its foes are 28-of-66 (42.4 percent).

"We've got things to do (better) in every area, whether it be what we're doing, how we're doing it, when we're doing it, how we're protecting it and so forth," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said.

The Bengals average 25.2 points, 367 yards and 284.8 passing yards — all among the league's best — but just 82.2 rushing yards and a 3.7 per carry average.

"That's one reason why we're 1-4," Lewis said. "If you run the football effectively, you have a better opportunity to win. You throw it 40 times a game, you're not going to win most of your games — even with a great quarterback."

Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer has thrown it 40.6 times per game, but not well (3-of-12 for 29 yards and one interception) on third down during the past two games. Possible reasons include:

• Poor pass protection from a shuffled line. (Yep, must be the lines fault)

• No good third receiver with Chris Henry is suspended. (oops, sorry.. its the commissioners fault)

• Running back Rudi Johnson's absence in most of the past two games. (my bad..I meant the RB's fault)

• Palmer pressing and having passes dropped. (Thats it..Thats it!!!..its the WR's fault!......You know it CAN'T be "The Chosen One" Palmer's fault....sounds like he is a one-man team.)

"Those are contributing factors, but ... you can't use it as an excuse," Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said. "We have to do it with the people that we have."

There is no common thread to the lack of execution.

"I've looked and analyzed every one of them," Bratkowski said. "I wish it was a common thread, because then it would be much easier to fix."

Other than the no-huddle offense — which had a touchdown, two field goals and 195 yards in three drives against Kansas City — the Bengals aren't operating correctly.

"Our identity, I would have hoped, would have been a team that didn't turn it over, which converted third downs and was good in the red zone," Bratkowski said.

The Bengals have turned the ball over 14 times, are 33 percent on third down and just 7-of-12 in red-zone efficiency.

"The last two weeks have obviously been very disappointing," Bratkowski said. "But we've got plenty of opportunity to get it fixed and turned around and end up good before the year is over."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: It's Third and Wrong for the Bengals

Maybe when the pressure is biggest, he just can't perform. At least that's what his wife told me yesterday when I was tappin that.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave that team in the future. That's not an organization that will allow him to grow or get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote:
There is no common thread to the lack of execution.

"I've looked and analyzed every one of them," Bratkowski said. "I wish it was a common thread, because then it would be much easier to fix."
lol. too dumb to realize the common thread is carson. bunglefans had fun with this since ben was a rookie but it is now painfully obvious that carson is the one who is a game manager. he cant win the game with his arm and any time he is asked to throw more than 40 times, they lose.

Quote:
"That's one reason why we're 1-4," Lewis said. "If you run the football effectively, you have a better opportunity to win. You throw it 40 times a game, you're not going to win most of your games — even with a great quarterback."
looks like marvin yearns for the day he has a team where carson only has to throw the ball 20 times a game. oh well bunglefans. enjoy the stats and passing and receiving numbers. perhaps your dreams will come true and you will see carson and tj housh in the pro-bowl together.

potential pro bowl mvp hardware has gotta erase the pains of another losing season, right?

the knee seems to bother him worse this year and he drops the ball anytime somebody sneezes near the pocket.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts

IMO Palmer is still gun shy about getting hit - you can heal physically but not mentally.

He is the equal of Brady or Manning in a skeleton drill with no hitting but game time is another matter. Maybe his new coach in 2008 will help that - given the Bengals investment in Palmer's contract he signed in late 2005 Palmer is not going to any other team.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave that team in the future. That's not an organization that will allow him to grow or get better.
That is not an organization - it is a haven for criminal element.

Quote:
"The last two weeks have obviously been very disappointing," Bratkowski said. "But we've got plenty of opportunity to get it fixed and turned around and end up good before the year is over."
Not with that pathetic bunch of underachievers, yap flappers, egomaniacs and whiners who wouldn't understand the meaning of team concept if you hit them in the heads with it. Not to mention a HC who cares more about being a "buddy" than showing that he can be considered a legitimate NFL HC. Add on an owner who obviously doesn't give two shits about an NFL franchise that his much loved and well respected father built from the ground up and it is a sure fire recipe for disaster. Paul Brown must be turning in his grave.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617

Paul Brown Jr. is trying to run the CInci program like his father did but hasn't the brains of a grape in football. I am told he is still calling in plays from the owners box and they darn well beter be run. Well his dad was able to becasue he knew football, this one doesn't know the time of day, let alone football. Best thing that could happen to the Bengals is for somebody to buy the team and move them far away from Ohio, and meddeling Brown.

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

I'm still waiting for that "changing of the guard" Chad bellowed in 2005.

Third Down is the least of the Bengals problems. Their players are immature and fold at the first sign of adversity, they show no accountability and whine when they lose, Carson Palmer is a gynormous gun-shy choke artist, plus their coach is a complete imbecile who's lost control over their immature, soft, egomaniac, undiciplined, me-first players.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
That got me thinking... Without knowing his contract details it's hard to speculate about where he would go and such... But I think there are quite a few teams that Palmer could fit into well... It's ashame that in the NFL the team can drop the player whenever they want (No garunteed contacts) but the player can't leave a team... Of course there are guys who would take advantage of that and be jumping all over the place but... It leaves things really one sided...
Old 10-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Not with that pathetic bunch of underachievers, yap flappers, egomaniacs and whiners who wouldn't understand the meaning of team concept if you hit them in the heads with it. Not to mention a HC who cares more about being a "buddy" than showing that he can be considered a legitimate NFL HC. Add on an owner who obviously doesn't give two shits about an NFL franchise that his much loved and well respected father built from the ground up and it is a sure fire recipe for disaster. Paul Brown must be turning in his grave.
And there you have it -- the single biggest reason why the Bengals are in total disarray. It's a team full of malcontent "me-first" types who will never win championships because they don't get that teams, not individuals, win. Though I get sick of the never ending (and mysteriously silent of late) lovefest, I'll exclude Carson Palmer from that bunch; he's a mature, level headed guy with genuine talent who should get out of there the moment his contract is up.

Think back to the Steelers' woes last year; did the players turn on each other and whine to the press? Never. To a man, they took individual responsibility for their own poor play, and all you heard in in the press was that if they win as a team, then they lose as a team too. I think it's a huge part of why they finished the season 6-2. Some teams just never get it, and Cincy really doesn't get it.

Too bad.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote