Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
billgrok
Water Boy

Member Number: 7485
Default OT: Please help save our economy from the robber barons!

The Federal Reserve and Bush's Treasury department are trying to bail out the predatory lenders and Wall Street banks who are responsible for the current housing bubble that is taking our country into a recession (or depression). Folks, it's time to call upon our elected representatives to address the outright fraud and lack of discipline perpetrated by financial institutions which have gotten us into this mess.

There is now an AUTOMATED online petition available that will automatically send a paper FAX to your Senators and Congressmen after you sign it:
http financialpetition.org

Near the bottom of the petition is a link to background information helping to explain some of the concepts this petition addresses. Please check that out as well.

Maybe we can't do much about the damage that has already been done to our economy and financial stability, but we can at least pressure our leaders to take action to prevent the further erosion of our Nation's financial system. NO BAILOUTS FOR BILLIONAIRES!!!

If you agree with the contents of this petition, please email a link to your friends, asking them to do the same.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and the petition.
Bill
billgrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117
Default Re: OT: Please help save our economy from the robber barons!

We should just get the Government to get out of the private sector all together and we would be fine.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,428 Times in 2,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgrok View Post
The Federal Reserve and Bush's Treasury department are trying to bail out the predatory lenders and Wall Street banks who are responsible for the current housing bubble that is taking our country into a recession (or depression). Folks, it's time to call upon our elected representatives to address the outright fraud and lack of discipline perpetrated by financial institutions which have gotten us into this mess.

There is now an AUTOMATED online petition available that will automatically send a paper FAX to your Senators and Congressmen after you sign it:
http financialpetition.org

Near the bottom of the petition is a link to background information helping to explain some of the concepts this petition addresses. Please check that out as well.

Maybe we can't do much about the damage that has already been done to our economy and financial stability, but we can at least pressure our leaders to take action to prevent the further erosion of our Nation's financial system. NO BAILOUTS FOR BILLIONAIRES!!!

If you agree with the contents of this petition, please email a link to your friends, asking them to do the same.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and the petition.
Bill
Unless that comes with a list of bank account numbers from which those Congressmen can withdraw "campaign contributions" good luck with that having any impact.

Money doesn't talk in politics - it screams
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Personally, I don't care what private sector companies do as long as it's above board. But a government bailout is inexcusable. All that means is that the people who pay the most taxes pay more taxes to bailout people who should pay more taxes but don't.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Personally, I don't care what private sector companies do as long as it's above board. But a government bailout is inexcusable. All that means is that the people who pay the most taxes pay more taxes to bailout people who should pay more taxes but don't.
Unless some of those people who currently pay the most taxes work on Wall Street or in Greenwich and are the beneficiaries of the bailout = somehow I do not think Hank Paulson is behind this because he is worried whether borrowers who never should have qualified for mortgages in the first place are now facing foreclosure
Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Steelers View Post
We should just get the Government to get out of the private sector all together and we would be fine.

I am a big Laissez Faire / Capitalism fan, but in this case I think that lending got out of hand. Lenders were lending to 125%of the value of a home, 100% of the home value with no income verification and even 100% of the appraised value for people w/ B/C (less than perfect) credit. Then there were appraisers who would consistently overvalue homes in their appraised value opinions. Add the Adjustable Rate Mortgages and you have a recipe for disaster. IMHO government is very big and tends to overregulate but I do think there is some degree of "oversight" that is needed in some industries. Just my two cents.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Unless some of those people who currently pay the most taxes work on Wall Street or in Greenwich and are the beneficiaries of the bailout = somehow I do not think Hank Paulson is behind this because he is worried whether borrowers who never should have qualified for mortgages in the first place are now facing foreclosure
But this is regulation in reverse. Why not regulate up front? The government needs to take one extra step this time and bail out the end users, not the banks, and that is if anyone gets bailed out at all. This is, after all, irresponsibility by both the predatory lenders AND the borrowers trying to get something they probably knew up front they could never afford.

Christ, the S&L mess should have taught us a lesson. I guess it did, though. If you get in trouble as a giant bank, the government will bail you out at the taxpayers expense.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
But this is regulation in reverse. Why not regulate up front? The government needs to take one extra step this time and bail out the end users, not the banks, and that is if anyone gets bailed out at all. This is, after all, irresponsibility by both the predatory lenders AND the borrowers trying to get something they probably knew up front they could never afford.

Christ, the S&L mess should have taught us a lesson. I guess it did, though. If you get in trouble as a giant bank, the government will bail you out at the taxpayers expense.
You and I are in complete agreement on this
Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

We shifted one bubble to another when the dot coms went down. Now we are left with what? Some new market needs to emerge legitimately this time, no shifting or shell games.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:

I also agree with this.
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote