Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Patriots Sue Their Own Fans

Apparently having tired of behaving like a rabid dog with the rest of the league, the Pats now are turning on their own fans that scalp tickets:

The New England Patriots have won a bid to get the names of all the fans who bought or sold ? or tried to buy or sell ? tickets to home games through online ticket reseller StubHub Inc., a move one technology group sees as an invasion of privacy.

In a lawsuit against San Francisco-based StubHub, a subsidiary of eBay Inc., claiming that the Web site encourages fans to break state law and violate team policies, the Patriots said they could seek to revoke season tickets of people who use StubHub....

The Center for Democracy and Technology, a Washington D.C.-based advocacy group, said the court order to turn over the names infringes on the privacy rights of Patriots fans.

"The Patriots, just at the beginning of the season, were filming opposing teams and accused of surveillance and given a slap from the National Football League about that. Now they're turning the cameras on their fans, so clearly there is a lack of understanding about what privacy is," said Ari Schwartz, deputy director of the center

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...ping_1018.html
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,082 Times in 4,584 Posts
Default Re: Patriots Sue Their Own Fans

go figure. they just dont want 40% of their stadium filled with yellow towels on dec. 9.

leave it to communism kraft to say you cant sell a ticket for a profit, once you buy it.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:49 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

And in other Patriot news, the team plans to hand out dead kittens to the first five thousand fans attending the Redskins vs Patriots matchup on October 28. Way to go New England!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:54 AM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Classy.

Model franchise my ass. The Pats will do whatever it takes to win. Even if it includes cheating and breaking the rules.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Classy.

If you didn't say it, I would have.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
In a lawsuit against San Francisco-based StubHub, a subsidiary of eBay Inc., claiming that the Web site encourages fans to break state law and violate team policies, the Patriots said they could seek to revoke season tickets of people who use StubHub....
They're not suing the fans, they're suing stubhub---a vehicle that facilitates fans ability to "break the law". This is an interesting question and one that might have ramifications across the league and sports/entertainment in general. If the Pats succeed, I can see a lot of other sporting teams not far behind. As much as I hate the Pats, and appreciate a "free market" economy---they do have a point.

As it says in the article, once the Pats have the names they don't need to sue the fans, they can just revoke the season tickets.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

There are also a lot of teams who have partnered with StubHub - the Pirates and MLB in general do, as a matter of fact. What this could lead to down the road is the NFL perhaps doing the same thing, provided that ticket holders do not resell them way above face value. I think that's the situation with MLB, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617

II am sorry but if I buy something, I feel if I want to turn around and sell it, that is my choice to do so, it is mine to do as I please with. I paid for the PSL and the ticket, so I should have the authority over both. That is like fans going into Cleveland stadium (paid for by taxes not learner or the Browns) but being told they can not enter if they are wearing a shirt that says "Bengal’s Suck or Steelers Suck" That is freedom of speech, freedom of expression. But it is being trampled. Sure I have one that says worse about the Steelers but since I have been here I never wear it (go figure.) Something must be wearing off on me about yinz. LOL

They now want to stop people from wanting to resell tickets, they have purchased? It has to stop somewhere. What were to happen if the fans nation wide were to say enough already! NFL you want to play that game fine, we will play also, and we aren't going to buy your tickets or merchandise, see how long the NFL and teams survive.
But I know it will never happen, because there are always those that say, I can't afford the season tickets anyway, so why should I bother, or I am just buying a shirt, hat or something else that is licensed.

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Only the f--king Patriots would pull a dick move like this.

Once I buy a ticket to a concert, sporting event, or anything else I own that ticket. Whatever orginization I bought it from be it the NFL, MLB, NHL, NASCAR, or whoever.

Now most people when they buy a ticket to something plan on attending. However stuff comes up that keeps it from happening such as the death of someone you know, someone you know gets married that day, or work sometimes gets in the way.

Now I know whenever I buy a ticket to an NFL or MLB game, they are non-refundable. So the only way for me to at least get my money back is to sell the tickets to someone else. Now if someone wants to pay more than face value for them, that is not my fault.

If the NFL truly wants this to stop, then maybe they should make the tickets they sell refundable.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
KYSteelersfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7447

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
If the NFL truly wants this to stop, then maybe they should make the tickets they sell refundable.
Excellent point. And 100% agree.
KYSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote