Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Madden thinks Steelers should have...

Mark Madden stated today on his daily show (ESPN Radio 1250) that he thinks the Steelers should have traded they?re second round pick to Miami for Chris Chambers instead of letting the Chargers get him?

While Madden always seems to underrate the team?s receivers, I tend to agree with him here. We could have put someone on the practice squad (Reid) and had Chambers and Holmes on the outside with Ward in the slot? That would have been something else.

I rarely agree with Mark, but actually do here with this. Thoughts?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087
Default Re: Madden thinks Steelers should have...

I completely disagree

I actually like Chambers even though he has played really bad and dropped a lot of balls this season and last season. But 3 seasons ago, he looked like one of the best in the league.

With that being said, I think a 2nd round pick is too high. A 3rd maybe. We need these early picks to revamp our weak O-line after the season. Plus, I dont know what his contract is but am guessing that Chambers makes a lot of money.

The deal that happened seemed like a good deal for both the Chargers and the Dolphins.

Once again. Mark Madden is a little crazy and underestimates the Steelers. I thought Reche Caldwell was a decent receiver who the Steelers could have signed for the vet minimum (I think the Redskins signed him)
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,313 Times in 476 Posts

Nope - I gotta go by what GoFins11 said in another thread (and I figure he knows more about Chambers than we do being a Dolphins fan) - basically, Chambers has had one great year and is very inconsistent. Why give up a 2nd rounder for something we already have in Nate Washington?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I think the Seattle game showed that we have actually UNDERESTIMATED the quality of our receivers.

I also think that San Diego's 2nd pick next year will be substantially higher in value than ours will be. We might not have gotten him for our 2nd pick (which will be somewhere around #60 or higher).

Remember that Madden's wrestling background means that he operates from the principle that insight is less important than controversy and rhetoric. He doesn't actually believe ANYTHING, he just says whatever he thinks will make people respond. Positive or negative doesn't matter, all that matters is that they respond. It means they are listening, which means he can sell advertising spots.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

If the Steelers do something, Madden will say they should not have done it

If the Steelers do not do something, Madden will say they should have done it

As Tom says, Mark Madden's job and personal preference is to provoke, not to enlighten

Norv Turner is fighting for his job - Tomlin clearly is not - a #2 pick for Chambers makes sense for the Chargers given their woeful recivers - it does not make sense for a Steelers team that needs that choice for 2008 and beyond
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Why give up a 2nd rounder for something we already have in Nate Washington?
lol. exactly

Besides not only would a big contract be needed, but the best right now is to work with our young and future receivers
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

What we DON'T need is a second receiver that will never push to be a number 1. We already have one of those in Cedric...

Ward will be gone in a couple of years. We need to pick up a second receiver with a number one pick the year after next.

next year, we need build our next generation of the O line, especially the left side.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

My buddy is a Chargers fan and he called me when they acquired Chambers. He was pretty happy. I would have thought 3rd or 4th round pick fair deal. 2nd seems a bit much, I agree they could use that pick for OL , LB or even a WR. Norv coached Chambers before though so he obviously knows what he is getting. Its not like Miami has had anyone to throw to him so his numbers may not tell the whole story. Only time will tell.
cubanstogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

forgot to mention he makes 5.1 million.
cubanstogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,182 Times in 1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
next year, we need build our next generation of the O line, especially the left side.
tell it like it is preacher !!!

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote