Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Keisel has fond memories of Denver

Steelers Keisel has fond memories of Denver
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 19, 2007

Given that chop blocking has become a signature of the Broncos, opposing defensive lineman generally don't look at Denver's INVESCO Field at Mile High as fondly as they might the place where they had their first kiss or where they experienced their first all-you-can-eat buffet.

Brett Keisel, however, has special feelings about the stadium where the Steelers play Sunday night, and it's easy to see why.

The defensive end firmly believes it is where he became an NFL starter.

Keisel had two sacks the last time he played in Denver, and the second one ended any chances of a Broncos rally in the AFC Championship game. The Steelers' 34-17 propelled them to the Super Bowl and eventually the franchise's fifth World Championship.

After the season, the Steelers let Kimo von Oelhoffen leave as a free agent, and Keisel has since been the starting defensive end opposite Aaron Smith.
"I think that game was the deciding factor," Keisel said of the Steelers' decision not to re-sign von Oelhoffen. "I'm excited to go back."

The Broncos, who had lost three games in a row, won't be nearly as excited to see Keisel as he is to see them.

The 6-5, 285-pounder has proven to be more than just a capable replacement for von Oelhoffen.

He has emerged as the Steelers' most versatile defensive player this side of Troy Polamalu.

His size and athleticism allow the Steelers to move Keisel around, and while he hasn't done a whole lot of that to date, the sixth-year veteran has been, as coach Mike Tomlin said, "a force."

The Steelers' 17 sacks are tied for first in the NFL, and Keisel has been vital to the pass rush.

About the only thing he hasn't done is actually take down the quarterback. He has been credited with 13 pressures but is still looking for his first sack this season.

"He's a great player, and he deserves to get sacks but he's not getting them right now," said nose tackle Chris Hoke, who was also a teammate of Keisel's at Brigham Young University. "It's still early. He can get 10 to 15 sacks the rest of the season."

Not that Tomlin is judging Keisel on how many sacks he gets.

"People worry too much about stats," Tomlin said. "He's a disruptive guy. Ask people that play us."

Like, say the Broncos.

In the championship game two seasons ago, Denver had pulled to within 27-17 in the fourth quarter and had a chance to make it a one-score game.

But Keisel, playing as a situational pass rusher, sacked then-Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer, forcing a fumble that the Steelers recovered.

The Steelers parlayed the turnover into the game-clinching touchdown as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger scored on a 4-yard run.

What made the sack so special to Keisel: he is from Wyoming and had plenty of supporters in the stands that day.

"I'll never, ever forget that game," said Keisel, who had to get 20 tickets for family and friends for Sunday's 8:15 p.m. game. "I can just remember the ball coming out and thinking that was it and looking up and seeing my family sitting up there and being overwhelmed."

That's kind of how quarterbacks feel these days when they see Keisel.

Not so good

The Steelers beat the Broncos in convincing fashion in the AFC title game two seasons ago but have traditionally not fared well in Denver, going 4-8-1. Here is what happened in the last five regular-season meetings between the teams in Denver.

Year - Outcome

2003 Broncos won, 17-14
1993 Broncos won, 37-13
1991 Broncos won, 20-13
1990 Steelers won, 37-14
1989 Broncos won, 34-7

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_533417.html
Old 10-19-2007, 04:02 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,108 Posts
Default Re: Keisel has fond memories of Denver

I believe keisel will get his first sack this year against the broncos I hope he gets more than one.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:22 AM   #3
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
I believe keisel will get his first sack this year against the broncos I hope he gets more than one.
We have a selffish defense in combat where it counts and an uniquely unselfish group of players (and maybe one or two that are playing along) in that defense.

Seeing Keisel in sideline coverage this season put the exclamation in his fair and modest contract. I think his upside is yet to come.

An early domination by our D could put the nail in the coffin early. AND. Maybe it's time for this Steeler team to have some prime time too.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Well if Keisel plays with the passions he is expression i would not be surprised to see a sack for 2 by him and am very excited!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
KYSteelersfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7447

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
I too would love to see him get more than one sack this game. Maybe one sack per quarterback that he knocks out of the game
Old 10-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Keisel is a beast! He's going to make Cutler's life very miserable back there and have him cryin' for his Mama.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote