Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Kimmel banned from MNF

Talk about cutting straight to the punch line.

It took Jimmy Kimmel a matter of 10 minutes to do what Dennis Miller needed two years to accomplish ? getting the heave-ho from "Monday Night Football."

ESPN will no longer allow Kimmel any guest appearances on MNF after the ABC late-night host made several jokes about recently-fired analyst Joe Theismann, The New York Times reported Wednesday. Kimmel, who joined Mike Tirico, Tony Kornheiser and Ron Jaworski in the booth during the third quarter of the Giants' 31-10 win over the Falcons, joked about where Theismann was, insinuated that Kornheiser got Theismann fired (their on-air chemistry was often a topic of debate last season), and later remarked, "I'd also like to welcome Joe Theismann, watching from his living room with steam coming from his ears."

Kimmel's comments were "classless and disappointing," said Jay Rothman, ESPN's MNF producer, according to the Times. "It was cheap. The more he went on, the worse he got."
Rothman then affirmed that Kimmel would not be invited back.
Reached by the Times, Theismann said he was more amused than annoyed by Kimmel's comments.
"I don't have an opinion about what people say, but it's nice to know you're missed," Theismann said. "It's interesting that people remember me." Theismann later added that MNF "has become Tony Kornheiser's show."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7344548

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196
Default Re: Kimmel banned from MNF

I used to think that Theisman was the most annoying announcer on Television until Kornwiser came along. I switch the audio to AM radio Monday nights now. I remember my dad doing the same back in the day because he couldn't stand Howard Cosell.

ESPN really needs to stop with the closeups of Korndog, he is a scary sight on a 55 inch HD screen. If he closed his eyes (and mouth) for more than 5 seconds I'd swear I was at the funeral home.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I used to think that Theisman was the most annoying announcer on Television until Kornwiser came along. I switch the audio to AM radio Monday nights now. I remember my dad doing the same back in the day because he couldn't stand Howard Cosell.

ESPN really needs to stop with the closeups of Korndog, he is a scary sight on a 55 inch HD screen. If he closed his eyes (and mouth) for more than 5 seconds I'd swear I was at the funeral home.
that is too funny.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Banned? He should be asked to take over in the booth. Why would he get banned for telling the truth?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
KYSteelersfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7447

I didn't pay too close attention to the game Monday night. But, I've never been a big of Jimmy Kimmel. Tony Kornwiser looks like a toothpick and needs to leave.
KYSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

The full Theismann quotes in the Times story are pretty funny

Theismann was more amused than annoyed by Kimmel’s comments, some of which he heard while watching TV at home. But he missed others while watching “CSI: Miami” on CBS, a new favorite since becoming a “free agent with nowhere to go.”

“I don’t have an opinion about what people say, but it’s nice to know you’re missed,” he said yesterday in a telephone interview. “It’s interesting that people remember me.”

He said, without rancor, that he is not fully engaged in “Monday Night” because “it has become Tony Kornheiser’s show,” more about issues than football.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/sp...ts&oref=slogin

Glad to read Joe's shots were "without rancor" even though he now watches CSI Miami rather than the MNF broadcast
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Banned? He should be asked to take over in the booth. Why would he get banned for telling the truth?
because you know you have to be PC

Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Ridiculous. MNF announcers are terrible. Jaws hasn't even been good.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,169 Times in 432 Posts

Better games might help as well. Giants and Falcons? Please. I didn't even watch that game.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Better games might help as well. Giants and Falcons? Please. I didn't even watch that game.
Seemed like a good idea when it was scheduled, just as the anticipated Vick-Peyton Manning match-up Thanksgiving Night looked a lot better last spring.

MNF gets an inferior schedule to that provided to NBC on Sunday night and NBC can switch out of late season games as well - why ESPN paid much more for Monday night than Fox, CBS, and NBC pay for Sundays escapes me.

ESPN needs to decide it is broadcasting a football game, go to 2 in the booth (dump Kornheiser), and cut all the drop-ins to the booth by "celebrities" - that finally bit ESPN in the ass with Kimmel's appearance
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote