Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default WWSFD?

Once again, I call upon my online family for advice.

I developed problems this past summer with my left foot - specifically a bunion which I've had for years from wearing very high heels and Stilettos most of my adult life. I contacted my PCP who referred me to a podiatrist in the area and I saw him this past August. After examining my foot and doing some x-rays, he determined that my only option was surgery and I agreed. He told me there was also some tendon damage and that he would repair that as well during the procedure. Though it is only a 45 minute to a 1 hour surgery, it is quite incapacitating, as there is no weight bearing permitted for 6-8 weeks post-op and the foot would be placed in a cast 2 weeks after the surgery when the stitches were removed - again -6-8 weeks. The surgery was originally scheduled for September 28th.

A week before the surgery, the scheduling clerk for my doc called me to tell me that my surgery would have to be postponed due to the doc going to an out of town seminar. I wasn't thrilled, but was understanding and the surgery was rescheduled for tomorrow, October 19th. I had to get medical clearances from both my PCP and cardiologist, blood work and an EKG, all of which I obtained last week and I was cleared to go by both doctors, my blood work was fine, as was my EKG. I rearranged my schedule to accommodate this surgery and was told yesterday afternoon when I spoke with the scheduling clerk that she received everything she needed from my docs and I was "good to go".

This afternoon shortly after noon, I received a voicemail from the scheduler informing me that my surgery tomorrow had to be canceled - again. She said that the hospital had a "scheduling conflict" and thus, she was going to try to work with my doc to get the surgery done on Monday or Tuesday of next week. Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled, so I called her back and the call was re-routed to the local office near me. I spoke briefly with the receptionist (who knew who I was without me giving my name) who apologized over and over again and said that the scheduler was gone for the day and I could call her tomorrow to reschedule my surgery. I told her this was totally unacceptable, to which her reply was "have a nice glass of wine tonight and forget about it until tomorrow."

Anywho-how, I got to thinking about this at length this afternoon and decided to call the hospital myself to see what the problem was. I left a very detailed message with the surgery scheduling department and a very nice woman called me back about 20 minutes later. She told me that I deserved to know the "truth" and then proceeded to inform me that the hospital had not received ANY paperwork from my doc's office on any surgery and that is why it wasn't showing on their schedule. She also told me that there are ELEVEN operating rooms available tomorrow and that obviously, I was being bamboozled by my doc's scheduler to cover her a$$. I was livid when I got off the phone and proceeded to call the scheduler, but got her voicemail. The message I left her was not pretty and I told her I had better be the first phone call she makes tomorrow when she gets into the office. I demanded an explanation.

I have talked to several of my friends about this and all of them have different suggestions on how to handle this. What would you do here? Ream the scheduler up one side and down the other and insist that she find a way to get this scheduled Monday or Tuesday as she mentioned she would? Go straight to the doc and tell him what happened, expressing my outrage? Take the wait and see approach to see if she bothers to call me tomorrow to explain why she out and out lied to me and if she doesn't- take a trip down to the doc's office to talk to him face to face? I'm a very peaceful person by nature and don't like to get in anyone's grill, but I feel I shouldn't have to suffer because of her incompetence. Your thoughts and suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Marianne

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,430 Times in 517 Posts
Default Re: WWSFD?

I have a feeling if a 3rd party intervened here by calling you back and telling you the "truth," the scheduler may already be in trouble for the screwup. I would definitely demand an apology from the scheduler, though. What you've gone through here is ridiculous.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

From what I know of you, I know that you are a child of God and you believe in His son, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

With that in mind, remember we have two ways to deal with trials and tribulations in our life. We can blame those people who constantly put a negative impact in our life and make them pay for it OR we can show them the love the Christ shows us - those who are so undeserving to be in the Lambs Book of Life.

So with that in mind, I would suggest first that there be an apology for the message and just let her know that you were upset when you left it. Second, thank God for his Grace and Mercy and know that there is a reason for your delayed surgery which only God knows at this point. What if God had it delayed because something was going to happen during surgery which could have caused more damage to your foot? What if you would have gotten a staph infection? What if God is just working on you for something greater down the road?

I know, we're not perfect people but we can always choose a different path.

Might I encourage you to read the first few lines of James 1.

I pray that God reveals to you why this has been delayed and also bring you peace about it. I also pray that he heal your foot so that surgery isn't needed at all!!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I'm thinking, stlrtruck has this one right.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

There is a whole lot of CYA going on here, and you should definitely demand an explanation as to why your paperwork wasn't submitted when this was arranged more than a month ago AND you had just talked with the scheduler on Wednesday. I would give her one chance to apologize and make things right by getting your surgery rescheduled for early next week. If it isn't done by the end of the day today, then you go to the doctor (who I'm sure already knows about this) and express your outrage at the situation. And if the scheduler ends up getting a pink slip, that's just too bad. She should have thought about that before she lied to you. She obviously thought that you wouldn't inquire about it further, because let's face it, most patients don't, and as a result, it would get swept under the rug. She was wrong.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,477 Times in 2,387 Posts

Yep, go to the doc and question him about it right after you rip the office people a new one. In other words do what you need to do to get the ball rolling and people of their ass's to get it taken care of. IMO

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,312 Times in 1,831 Posts

i'd bypass the incompetent secretary and go strait to the doc .

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Thanks for all of your input.

Kristy called this morning and told me that she faxed everything over to the hospital on Wednesday afternoon and even has the confirmation slip to prove it. I told her that someone obviously isn't being truthful here but that isn't the point - all of this clusterfooking reflects back on the doctor, not on her, not on the hospital and certainly not on me. I did everything I was supposed to do and got all of my test results in to her well in advance. She proposed doing the surgery next Friday at a local hospital I wouldn't take a dog or cat to - people go in there with minor maladies and never come home. I told her that was totally unacceptable and that I had told the doc that was the one hospital I wouldn't agree to have the surgery done at. She said that she would go back to the doc and see if he could arrange something else. I told her it was time for him to bend, as I've bent as far as I'm going to and have been more than patient. She agreed and said she would get back to me sometime this morning.

Kristy just called and my surgery is scheduled for 12:00 noon on Wednesday the 24th at the hospital I was originally scheduled for today. I told her that was fine and thanked her for getting this done. She said this is cast in stone and there will be no cancelation or re-arranging and she will call the hospital both Monday and Tuesday to confirm.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
She proposed doing the surgery next Friday at a local hospital I wouldn't take a dog or cat to - people go in there with minor maladies and never come home.
LOL, that's gotta be McKeesport.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
LOL, that's gotta be McKeesport.
Close but no cigar - LOL!

Jefferson.