Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-21-2007, 03:42 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Haggans continues to produce sacks

Steelers' Haggans continues to produce sacks
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, October 21, 2007

He went to Colorado State as a walk-on and left as an NFL-ready player.

But Clark Haggans won't exactly consider it a homecoming when the Steelers play the Broncos at 8:15 tonight in Denver.

"Everyone that I know is gone, basically," Haggans said. "There's no Uncle Rusty or no your buddy Big Mike or Big Johnny or anybody like that. Those guys are all gone. I figured they all got jobs."

With apologies to Uncle Rusty, Big Mike and Big Johnny, none of them are doing better at their job than Haggans is these days.

The Steelers' left outside linebacker has already collected 3 1/2 sacks and is on pace for a double-digit season in that category. He's a big reason the Steelers' defense has been as good as any in the NFL through the first six weeks of the season.

It's also why prized rookie LaMarr Woodley, who shined during offseason practices and training camp, has spent more time on the sideline than on the field in the Steelers' first five games.

"Yes, the quality of (Haggans') play has limited the chances of opportunity for a guy like LaMarr Woodley," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "He understands that, and I'm sure LaMarr does. I'm sure the next opportunity LaMarr gets to play, he is going to put his best foot forward.

"As coaches, we can talk about great speeches and all those things we do to motivate football teams, but you want to create an environment where guys get better. Competition is the ultimate motivator."

Haggans dismissed the notion that the drafting of Woodley in the second round gave him the nudge toward a season that is shaping up to be his best one as a Steeler.

He said his motivation has come from within.

Simply put, the eight-year veteran hates to lose.

"It wasn't about so-and-so got drafted or anything like that; 8-8 (last season) wasn't good enough," said Haggans, who has helped the Steelers start 4-1.

Much has been made about strong safety Troy Polamalu running around the field as if his flowing locks are on fire, but Haggans' intensity is also something to behold.

"He's full-speed, the whole game," defensive end Aaron Smith said. "I don't know how the man does it, but it's amazing to watch him play. He's got such a motor, and I don't think people realize how athletic he really is, too."

Haggans' production dipped last season -- the California native had six sacks after notching nine in 2005 -- but he said it had nothing to do with effort.

He said he tried to do too much last season, especially after the Steelers scuffled to a 2-6 start.

The 6-foot-4, 243-pounder attributed his improvement this season to "just playing with more common sense on the football field, not making dumb mistakes, not making silly guesses, not trying to do too much -- just playing smart, situational football."

Haggans, a fifth-round pick by the Steelers in 2000, is in the final year of his contract. He said impending free agency has had nothing to with his inspired play, and that he hopes to re-sign with the Steelers (the team does not generally engage in contact negotiations during the season).

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_533768.html
Old 10-21-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: Haggans continues to produce sacks

I for one was second guessing Haggans in the offseason, just thought that maybe he was coming to the end of his run in Pittsburgh, but the way he is performing this season it has made me change my mind alittle. But I do believe that he will have to have a monster year to stay around here, especially with the drafting of 2 LB's in the first 2 rounds of this past draft not wanting to set on the bench any longer.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,519 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I could see woodley moving in the starting lineup next year and haggans will probably hit free agency next year unless he wants a cheap contract exstension.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Steeldude
Living Legend

with harrison on the other side it gives haggans a better chance at getting to the QB. last couple of years the ROLB was average and had only one move to the QB.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

I so want Haggans to stay next year, even if it is as a backup, he seems to really want to stay
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

I knew Haggans would have a great year he is a guy who is always under the radar on this team! He had the most tackles all season last year, but not many knew that.

I would love to see him retire as a Steeler and be happy to give his job up for a young, restless OLB ready to play!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
msafford
Starter

Location: Perrysburg, OH (grew up in Lisbon, OH- 50 miles from Pittsburgh)
Member Number: 2447

[QUOTE=83-Steelers-43;309801]Steelers' Haggans continues to produce sacks

The 6-foot-4, 243-pounder attributed his improvement this season to "just playing with more common sense on the football field, not making dumb mistakes, not making silly guesses, not trying to do too much -- just playing smart, situational football."

Reading all of these articles and such it seems very clear to me the that Coach T. has put his stamp firmly on this team. These players really seem to ALL be drinking the Tomlin Kool-aid.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

I just see this as another example of Pittsburgh's great LB system. Not saying that Haggans is a bum but I can't see him producing this well on another team.