Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-21-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Spaeth oddity: Q&A

Spaeth oddity
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Steelers surprised a lot of people when they used their third-round pick in April's draft on a tight end because they already had Heath Miller and Jerame Tuman.

Matt Spaeth has validated his selection by assuming a significant role in the Steelers' offense.

Spaeth (6-foot-7, 270 pounds) caught a touchdown pass in each of his first two NFL games and has played a lot in an offense that frequently uses multiple tight ends. He missed two games because of a deep thigh bruise.

Spaeth's father played tight end at Nebraska, but it wasn't until his junior year of high school that Spaeth decided he had more of a future in football than basketball.

He picked the Minnesota over Nebraska and Wisconsin and left as the school's all-time leader in catches and receiving yards by a tight end, as well as a Mackey Award winner.

Spaeth recently purchased a townhouse in Ross Park and will move into his new place soon. He talked to the Tribune-Review about also settling into the NFL, as well as why his brother has extra incentive to root for him every game.

Question: What's been the biggest adjustment from college to the NFL?

Answer: "It's probably just the time you put in here. It seems like we're here all day, and when it comes to film and game plan stuff we could be here probably even more. You've still got to do some studying on your own; at least I do. That's probably been the biggest adjustment. I'm usually here around 7 (a.m.) and I'm usually out of here by 4."

Q: Has fatigue set in since you've played what is almost a full college season, if you count preseason?

A: "Honestly, I'm trying not to think about it. I'm trying not to think in a few weeks that my normal season would be over. I'm just trying to think about the long haul, that way when it gets to December it's not in your head that 'Oh, I should be done by now.' "

Q: Some people probably wondered how a deep thigh bruise caused you to miss two games. How bad was it?

A: "I got it the first week and it hurt, but I played through it. Then I took numerous hits to it the next game and my leg completely swelled up. It was just full of blood and different things like that, so it was more the swelling the kept me out because once your leg gets swollen you have to protect it or it will get worse."

Q: Where you surprised when the Steelers drafted you?

A: "I didn't really know what to expect on draft day. When I got the call from them I was pretty surprised."

Q: Who is the biggest character in your draft class?

A: "I don't think we've got a real character out of the group. I'd say Timmons is the biggest (one). He's real quiet, but he's goofy. "

Q: So how much are you helping your brother's fantasy football team?

A: "He didn't start me at first, and then I scored. I think (Kansas City's Tony) Gonzalez was his other tight end and he said 'I think you got more points than Gonzalez, so I'm starting you the rest of the year, no matter what.' As a brother, he's almost obligated to."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_533769.html
Old 10-21-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,515 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Spaeth oddity: Q&A

Spaeth seems like a down to earth guy.Hope he continues to be a big part of our offense.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I also questioned this pick as well.. and then in the preseason, he didnt make any noise and I was really grumbling about this pick. But after the 1st 2 games, well, how can you grumble about them? Well, I can... why not get him the ball more often? I love the fact that the Steelers are using him with one of the best TE's in the game "Heath Miller".. Heath is a great blocker, but he doesnt get enough chances to catch balls. The young man can catch the ball if given the chances.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
zoneblitz43
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6120

I didn't like the Spaeth pick at first, and then he caught 2 touchdown passes in his first 2 games and changed my mind. With Spaeth we now have a great red zone target, and I'm glad he's on our team.
zoneblitz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Spaeth seemed to be a blow off pick in the draft at first seeing we had Miller and Tuman so i expected him to be 3rd string. Now i see he is a huge target and has good vision and presence in the zone to get open.

He has earned his spot as our 2nd string TE and his 2 TD's were very impressive and once again the Rooney's have done a great job in the draft!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote