Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #51
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Re: Is Polamalu overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
With all due respect, the title could have probably been worded a bit more clearly - something to the effect of "Is Polamalu Used Correctly?," especially on the heels of a bitter loss.
Suggested upbeat alternative headlines for this thread:

"Is Troy Playing As Fantastically As Ever?"

"Troy - Just A Great Safety Or Still The Greatest Safety?"

"Is Troy's Sub-Par Play The Fault Of LeBeau Or Tomlin?"

Given that Troy was paid All-Pro $$$ this summer expecting an All-Pro level performance is not unreasonable.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #52
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Given that Troy was paid All-Pro $$$ this summer expecting an All-Pro level performance is not unreasonable.
Never said it was. However, posting a thread with a title such as "Is (insert fan favorite name here) Overrated?" immediately following a loss is bound to generate negative responses.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #53
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
The way he is always there at the end of the play to rescue the team is evidence that he is still the great player he always has been, just that the scheme or whatever is putting him out of position way too often.
To the extent it's possible with limited TV angles, I try to watch Troy whenever the defense is on the field, mostly because I'm trying to see if I can figure out what he's going to do (no surprise, I can't). What I have noticed last season and this season, is that sometimes he over-pursues in his ferocious effort to get to whomever has the ball, and his miscalculation will take him out of the play and put him out of position. Troy tends to be a tough critic of himself, and he has mentioned this in the past as something he is always working on.

Perhaps "overrated" wasn't the best choice of words, as several posters have noted. In my opinion, Troy's as talented, intelligent and instinctive a football player as I've ever seen, and I've been a Steelers/football fan for 30 years. I'd put him in the top three in the NFL at his position. But I do agree with those who say that he's either not always properly used, or sometimes out of position. If Dick LeBeau is giving him free rein to go wherever he wants, maybe it's time for a more controlled, assigned pursuit.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #54
Rob64
Water Boy

Member Number: 6042

I don't think the word overrated was to harsh. Rod Woodson called him the best DB in the league before the season on NFL network. Others said he was the best safety in the game and some even said he was one of the best defensive players period. He is the highest paid safety now. Expectations are high. He is a very good player but none of the above IMO hence me using over rated in my title. I might add he could be the best if they use him right and he becomes a better tackler.
Rob64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #55
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think that when we had chris hope who was underrated. troy was at his prime.. i just think troy play different with clark than he did with hope.. maybe he just hasn't gotten to trust clark as much as he did with hope.. i mean clark is good and all but i don't think he has yet to hit his potentioal with the steelers and until that happens i think troy will keep trying to be evry where all the time... at least with hope near the end(sb run) hope could take at least half the field for covering... it's just my opion...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #56
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886

Do you think he was overrated the last two years. Thats like saying L. T. is over rated just because San Diego had a bad start to the season.

They are not using Troy in the same way as they did last year. I can't believe you wrote this post it just doesn't make any sense. Is that what you really think or do you want to rephrase it

Maybe post:

Is Troy having a bad year or Do you think Troy had a bad game. But overrated sounds like a cleveland, baltimore or cinci fan.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #57
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post
Do you think he was overrated the last two years. Thats like saying L. T. is over rated just because San Diego had a bad start to the season.

They are not using Troy in the same way as they did last year. I can't believe you wrote this post it just doesn't make any sense. Is that what you really think or do you want to rephrase it

Maybe post:

Is Troy having a bad year or Do you think Troy had a bad game. But overrated sounds like a cleveland, baltimore or cinci fan.
Ed.B. of the P-G said today Troy is not having a Pro Bowl quality year - unlike the Mark Maddens of the world he does not say stuff just to start a fight and is not ant-Steelers as best I can tell.

Based on what Troy is being paid, he presumably is rated as (at least) a Pro Bowl quality player by the Steelers. His performance rating has not matched his salary (and media) rating since much of the period since the SB. I do not know if that is due to injuries(he had a shoulder, knee and brain trauma injury in 2006) or other teams figuring out how to react to how Troy currently is deployed, but the level of play during the much of 2004, 2005 and (especially) the 2005 playoffs that appeared to indicate Troy was redefining the safety position has only appeared since then in flashes.

Unlike Ray Lewis, Troy is a great guy and i am glad the Steelers locked him up for a long term contract.. But Lewis has been called a great LB by the media when it has been years since that was the fact. Given Troy's performance since 2005, it is not a cheap shot to question the continued adulation of Troy by that same media, which is known for praising players for past rather than current performance (just look at the annual Pro Bowl rosters for how reputation rules).

I expect Troy to come back strong, but the shot I saw Sunday night of LeBeau and Troy engaged in an exchange on the sidelines indicates to me that with Troy having his own extraordinarily high standards he knows that those standards are not being met at the moment.

If Troy's actual play is not meeting his perceived talent (established in the 2005 playoff run) and current salary then using the word overrated (as opposed to such terms as lazy, undedicated after landing his contract, or undisciplined) is not totally without justification.

I look forward to that situation changing, hopefully starting on Sunday.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #58
Rob64
Water Boy

Member Number: 6042

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post

Maybe post:

No I don't want to re phrase it. How dare you call me a Balt.,Cinci, Clev fan. Now take a deep breath and chill.

Now with all that I sincerely hope he gets his game together and plays up to his all pro potential. I think they will get this figured out and he will
Rob64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #59
shutdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1445

Glad to see this conversation is maturing. I like Dan's comment and I believe there are a lot of Mark Maddens in this topic.

To me it comes down to what Dick is doing with him and his potential. Everyone is seeing the word OVERRATED and OVERREACTING. Blast has had the best point in this game and barely anyone addressed it.

Ryan Clark SHINED in place of Polamalu.

Why, because he sat back and made plays. No discredit to Ryan Clark because he is Captain Consistent, but could you imagine the things that could happen if Polamalu was asked to do the same.

Most of yins are still living in the hype of prior years that Polamalu is some Houdini on the field and needs to be accounted for. This is the NFL and teams adjust. Guess what, they have adjusted! You name one game this season where Polamalu has been a game changer?

For someone who is getting paid a game changers type salary, Polamalu has yet to prove he can be that game changer in Dicks scheme.

Does that make Polamlu as a player overrated, no. Does that make his performances this year his fault, no. But there does need to be a change. His current role on this current team, IS OVERRATED. He still gets hype and he is not producing.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #60
jsteelers51191
Water Boy

Member Number: 5973
Default Defense better WO POLAMALU's FREELANCING! I HAVE STATS TO BACK IT UP!!

last year when he was hurt, our defense allowed 3 points to Tampa Bay, 3 points to Clevelnad on Thursday night, and 3 points to Carolina. When he came back, baltimore dropped 27+ plus on us. I am not saying bench him at all, just greatly reduce the wandering he does and allow him to play traditional SS because Offensive coordinators have figured him out and he isn't nearly as effective near the LOS as he used to be. The coaches should also have him blitz to the outside more rather than the inside where he can utilize his speed better rather than getting stuffed by a 350 pound guard!
jsteelers51191 is offline   Reply With Quote