Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #61
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Defense better WO POLAMALU's FREELANCING! I HAVE STATS TO BACK IT UP!!

oh come on, this is the same as that "is polamalu overated" topic.

giving up only 13 points in 3 games was a team effort, not because of a single player or the, same as giving up 27 points to the ravens was a team effort, not the fault of a single player. the defense crumbled, same thing happened against denver on sunday, it happens, but it is not a single player's fault.

was troy responsible for all 3rd down conversions? no, he wasn't. football is ateam sport, remember that
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #62
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,612 Posts
Default Re: Defense better WO POLAMALU's FREELANCING! I HAVE STATS TO BACK IT UP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteelers51191 View Post
last year when he was hurt, our defense allowed 3 points to Tampa Bay, 3 points to Clevelnad on Thursday night, and 3 points to Carolina. When he came back, baltimore dropped 27+ plus on us. I am not saying bench him at all, just greatly reduce the wandering he does and allow him to play traditional SS because Offensive coordinators have figured him out and he isn't nearly as effective near the LOS as he used to be. The coaches should also have him blitz to the outside more rather than the inside where he can utilize his speed better rather than getting stuffed by a 350 pound guard!
clevland 4 - 12
tampa 4 - 12

baltimore 13 - 3

there's a reason clev and tampa only one 4 games....BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T SCORE ON ANYONE !!!!!!!!!!!!

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #63
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Is Polamalu overrated?

I don't think there's a team in this league that wouldn't match or beat Troy's contract to have him.

I'll like our chances for the long haul better with him than without him.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #64
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,946 Times in 3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
I don't think there's a team in this league that wouldn't match or beat Troy's contract to have him.

I'll like our chances for the long haul better with him than without him.
I agree - Troy is still an amazing talent - I recall a sequence at the end of the game in Cleveland last year where he had a series involving tackles, a blocked pass, and defensing a pass that were extraordinary. But for whatever reason, those bursts of brilliance are less frequent - my bet is LeBeau and Tomlin will work through how to refocus Troy's talents and, just as was the case after Troy learned the D in 2003, Troy will return to greatness.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #65
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,778 Times in 3,685 Posts

after further review, it seems like the bulk of denvers significant gains came when they were running away from troy. if he lined up left, they went right, and they went left when he lined up right. just because troy is a safety, doesnt mean every ball that is complete is by troys man.

what other player is expected to cover both halves of the field 100% of the time?

as for teams who choose to ignore polamalu (probably the browns), denver obviously wasnt one of them. if he wasnt lined up in the middle they almost always went opposite his direction.

alot of times troy was said to be caught out of position, the steelers (as a whole) were playing run. i would say the steelers gameplan maybe overplayed the run, and anticipated denver to try and establish henry much more than they did.

i doubt many (if any at all) FO people are questionning the contract given to troy after game 6.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #66
Smashmouth225
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5469

Nah, he is not over-rated. I think with all the moving before the snap it actually hurts us because he is out of position to make a play. QB gets the ball out of his hands quick and attacks the spot Polamula is coming from. I really don't like when he is blitzing up the middle having to go thru big bodies to get to the QB which rarely happens. If you are going to blitz him he has to come around the corner where he has the speed to get to the QB w/out being touched. Polumula has speed, range, tackling abilty and hands just let him sit back and read and react sometimes instead of trying to trick people to make a play.
Smashmouth225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #67
shutdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashmouth225 View Post
Nah, he is not over-rated. I think with all the moving before the snap it actually hurts us because he is out of position to make a play. QB gets the ball out of his hands quick and attacks the spot Polamula is coming from. I really don't like when he is blitzing up the middle having to go thru big bodies to get to the QB which rarely happens. If you are going to blitz him he has to come around the corner where he has the speed to get to the QB w/out being touched. Polumula has speed, range, tackling abilty and hands just let him sit back and read and react sometimes instead of trying to trick people to make a play.
Exactly. I mean the last 3 seasons, yes it was a surprise but now teams are picking up and it seems more than less of the time its in effective. I record highlights of every game for my Steelers myspace group and can easily point out numerous of big plays given up by the Steelers and a majority of them you see Troy attempting to rush the QB but getting picked everytime.

As I said, we are paying this guy a salary to be a game changing type player and so far he isnt measuring up. Im not saying it isnt in him to be one because only a fool would think that way, but the way we are using him as of late has made him ineffective. And the irony of the situation was the one game this season where a person at that position was the most effective was filling in for him while he was injured. And all he was asked to do was sit back and react for a lot more plays. I dont say abandon it completely, but lets let up a bit and let Troy do what he does best... get the ball back in Roethlisbergers hands.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:32 AM   #68
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Ok, EVEN IF TROY IS OVERRATED. that makes him, what, the #5 instead of the #1 safety??

WHO CARES?

on any give day, wilson, reed, taylor, rhodes or whoever, is going to have a better day than troy. Reed is a few years older than troy. I'd rather have troy. people are delving way too much into some nonsense about this past game. We were a offensive line block or two away from winning that game. troy didnt tackle as well last year, but how can you argue with the #'s of our defense, we give up 31 pts and over 300 yrds of offense and we are still the # 1 D in the land.

screw this thread. cincy is going to look silly on sunday

Last edited by paw-n-maul-u; 10-25-2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: 31 pts
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #69
SteelFist
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 84

IMO, Troy is not overrated. Do I think (as Rob said) TP should be used in a more conventional way? YES.

I don't know if everyone heard coach Tomlin's press conference, but he did say that one of the "3rd and long" plays that Denver converted, Troy blitzed when he was not supposed too. He went on and mentioned that on many of the defensive errors that occured Sun night, many players were not where they should have been.

"That guy across from me, he has to do one or two things, either raise his level of play or get his a-- kicked all day" - Greg Lloyd
SteelFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #70
SteelFist
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
No problem. I thought you asked a legitmate question. Personally, I would take Ed Reed over Troy as well. I like Troy a lot, but Ed Reed is...in my opinion...the best in the game.
I try not to compare the two. One plays FS the other SS. FS allows for more plays on the ball, which is why Reed gets more oppurtunities at INT's. Give me Troy's run support over Reed's anyday.

I'll go on to say that Reed is probably the best FS in the league.

"That guy across from me, he has to do one or two things, either raise his level of play or get his a-- kicked all day" - Greg Lloyd
SteelFist is offline   Reply With Quote