Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-26-2007, 06:00 AM   #71
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts
Default Re: Is Polamalu overrated?

Troy may or may not be overrated but he certainly is indifferent to being voted by the fans to the 75th anniversary team:

"My wife doesn't even know about it," Polamalu said. "I don't know what it has to do with anything, quite honestly. It really doesn't have much to do with anything, but I don't want to disrespect anyone because I know people do care about things like this."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07299/828705-66.stm

If Troy said this last year I probably would have drawn the wrong inference he did not care if he stayed in Pittsburgh or not - now it is further evidence to me that Troy has a firm idea of what is important in life and will not blow smoke at you and pretend something is important to him if it is not.

For that reason, I wish some reporter would get access to Troy to ask him what he thinks about questions regarding his the level of his performance so far this season - my guess is Troy would provide a polite but brutally honest response.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #72
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,576 Times in 3,989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

For that reason, I wish some reporter would get access to Troy to ask him what he thinks about questions regarding his the level of his performance so far this season - my guess is Troy would provide a polite but brutally honest response.
a very accurate guess, i must say-

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_534606.html

Quote:
"We had a couple busted assignments," LeBeau said. "If you look at our record, it hasn't happened very often.

"When it happens, usually the opponent's gonna find a space in there. We can't allow that to happen."

Polamalu took responsibility for being "misaligned on a big play," and said the others were "probably my fault as well, the big ones, yeah.

"I don't think there's ever been a game in football where there haven't been mental mistakes," Polamalu said. "Part of the game is being beaten physically, as well, but the more mental mistakes that you have, or that I have, you don't give the offense an opportunity to beat you physically.

"You don't give yourself a chance to win in any situation if you're already beat mentally, if you're not aligned properly, if your technique is wrong. That's before the game even becomes physical."
Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #73
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

The idea of using Troy, "out of position" is that the other guys in the secondary must hold their coverage long enough for him to disrupt the play he is being used to disrupt, whether it be a pass or run.

Example:
Troy lines up over the offense's right tackle. Showing Blitz, but his assignment is the TE Curl Route. In order for him to be effective, the defense end, or linebacker over the TE must chip the TE off the line to buy Troy the time he needs to fake blitz, and fall back into coverage. If the End doesn't chip, the TE will have the time he needs to get to the curl pattern and appear to be uncovered, when really, another player had an assignment on that play and didn't make it. Also, the true pressure from the offense's left side, a blitzing DB or LB, is supposed to force the QB to pass quicker than he wants, creating a situation where the TE is late to the route, the pass is early, and Troy is in the right spot at the right time.

That's defensive strategy. Nothing more, its not "freelancing" or being over or under rated. It is...what it is.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #74
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Would he still be overated if Elam misses the field goal and we pull out an ugly win in OT??

Sorry guys but you can't win every week, unless of course you have the other teams signals and know what play the're running on every snap.

Sometimes its no one's fault and there isn't anyone over or under rated.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #75
SEMP
Water Boy

Member Number: 664

I also believe that they do to much with Polamalu. I do think he is one of the better defenders in leauge. I would like to see a little more conservative play from the strong saftey position. This defense has the personnel to play at a high level without trying to confuse the offense all the time. I would like to see them rely on the hard physical play which they are capable of. I do beleive that woodley ( with a little more time) will be strong in the pass rushing game , most importantly without the need to disquise his intentions.
SEMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #76
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I'm a fan from the 70's as well. Donnie Shell was a heck of a safety. I still remember his hit on Earl Campbell that broke Earl's ribs. Shell was a good cover guy as well. It's hard to believe we got him as an undrafted FA.

IMO, the best safeties the Steelers have ever had were Donnie Shell and Carnell Lake. Troy is close, but I like the other two better.

Honorable mention goes to Mike Wagner and Glen Edwards.

Must agree, Donnie Shell was my 2nd favorite player next to Lambert.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #77
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

my God, i can't believe this thread is still alive!

isn't it this a perception question?? who is to say how troy is rated anyway? if there are that many people that think he is over rated, doesn't that mean his rating is not that good??? i think it's a dumb question.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #78
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Troy is not overrated...MODS can we close this thread?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #79
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6038

Your kidding, right??

Remember that sensational game we had against Indy during our Super-Bowl run? We all know Peyton is among the greats when it comes to breaking down the QB position, and with that in mind I want you to go back and watch Peyton's eyes each and every pre-snap he took. "Now....where the **** is 43 lining up this time?" Thats a pretty accurate description of what you'll get trying to read his eyes.

Yes, INTs/sacks/tackles are nice to see, but for a steeler fan to not understand why Lebeau moves Troy around so much baffles me. Has Lebeau not made it blatantly clear that he knows what hes doing?!?!

Be patient my friend. While the stat sheet might show that he's not having a regular "Troy Year" the fact of the matter is he is being put in position to MAKE PLAYS, and a player of his caliber will do nothing but that when called upon

And even in his quiets of games STAT-WISE, just know that QB is earning his paycheck for ever snap he takes just trying to decipher where #43 makes his presence felt from
Welcome To Smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:01 AM   #80
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

Take it easy guys Troy can't make the game saving stop everytime he is human you know. He is one of the best in todays game and, I'm glad he is on our team. He will have a great year just wait you will see and, last year he was hurt. Have some faith will rebound this week. We just need to bring the heat on Palmer.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote