Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886
Default Have Steelers surpassed your Expectations

I meant surpassed.

Just want to see how our predictions are holding up. Before the season started we all posted what we thought the Steelers would do. The first quarter of the season is over and I have to say they are better at this point than I thought they would be. The defense is number one and the offense is getting into the groove I remember seeing at the end of 2005. Granted the "O" isn't their yet but if the "D" is holding teams to fewer than 17 points. We may win more games than I originally thought.

The main thing I didn't see coming was coach Tomlin. Each time I here an interview I'm impressed more. When he told reporters "I did think at one time the team would lose a game". I realized he already was waiting to see how the teamed responded. This guy is on top of things and seams to be ahead of the schedule for a new coach. Its almost as if he were a head coach before.

Be sure to post your early prediction and what you think now, if it has changed.

10-6 to start the season
11-4 now

Last edited by SteelDogFan; 10-10-2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling
SteelDogFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Default Re: Have Steelers surpassed your Expectations

I know some will disagree, but the Steelers have done it all. They have been under .500, been .500, won the most regular season games, been to the playoffs, been to Conference title games, and won Super Bowls. The only thing that matters is them winning in Arizona this year. The Steelers can win the rest of their games but if they lose to the Pats or Indy in the playoffs, or lose in the bowl, it would highly suck.....
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #3
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

I couldnt be happier seeing how we are playing, heres an overlook at the rest of the season.

we are 4-1 now, and seeing how we are playing I think we could finish 13-3
Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

You know, it's hard for me to say. With the coaching turnover, I was approaching this year wide open mentally - I was prepared to see the team either bounce back strong (because I knew the talent the team had was better than it showed last season) or regress even further while Tomlin cut his teeth in his new HC job. That being said, I am ecstatic over the 4-1 start.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
KYSteelersfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7447

Well, I always "expect" the Steelers to do well starting the season. That being said, Tomlin has done a fantastic job thus far this season. The only down side, was that we lost to Arizona. But hey, if we had to lose, at least we lost to an ex-steeler coach. He knows our team better than most.

No prediction in pre-season
12-4 rest of the season.
KYSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,140 Times in 2,404 Posts

After a successful preseason, I expected 4-1 at the bye, losing either the Cardinals or Seattle game. However, I certainly did not expect all 4 wins to be blowouts.

The defense (specifcally pass defense) has exceeded my expectations to a greater extent than the offense.

I had the Steelers at 10-6 preseason but based upon the Ravens, Jets, Rams, and Broncos being worse than I thought I am now thinking 12-4 or 13-3.

I thought they would split with the Bengals & Ravens and now think they should win 3 of those 4. I also expect a New England loss, a loss at Denver or NY, and probably an upset somewhere in there.

Of course all bets are off with an injury to Ben, Parker, Faneca or Marvel Smith.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I'd say so far they are meeting my expectations, but it's really way too early to know. My expectations are a Super Bowl win every year, and anything short of that is a failure to meet expectations.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

This is about what I expected, especially from Tomlin.

One thing that I AM looking for from Tomlin is the ability to use emotion as a tool when it's called for. I remember the story of Chuck Noll before the first Super Bowl, where he said only a few words, something like "This is what we've worked for, now let's take it," and the guys came out on fire. Since it's the most powerful tool in the box, he can't be using it every week or it will stop working. But I look for him to use it, and I look forward to the results.

But yeah, 4-1 right now is about right. We lost one I thought we'd win, we won one I thought we could lose, but this is OK. I agreed that last year we were mediocre, but I never bought into the idea that we were a team on the decline.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Looking at the schedule today versus six months ago my win-loss flip flops.

Although it's way to premature to consider the demise of the AFC North the odds of the Steelers not losing another game until Dec 9 are getting smaller and smaller.

If the loss to the Cardinals didn't set the tone for the rest of the season then we will lose four more games. If it did provide a necessary "wake-up" call then someone could make a case for the Steelers to go 13-3 or even 14-2.

The KEY: BLOCKING
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

I never doubted that Ben's struggles were due to his health issues last year, and I believed the team had the talent to contend if he bounced back. If the OL continues to improve (and barring serious injuries, of course), I see this team playing consistently at or above the '04 and '05 levels, at best winning the division or at worst a wildcard, and going at least well into the playoffs. As long as Ben came back healthy this season, those were my expectations going in, and the team has met my expectations thus far.

My preseason prediction was 11-5 for the regular season, and I'm sticking with that. I see all four games with Cincy and Baltimore as potential landmines (I know they both stink right now, but these games are always brutal), Jacksonville always plays us tough, and the New England game as winnable, but a question mark in my mind at this point in the season. Some of those will be wins, but at least a few could just as easily be losses.

Last edited by alittlejazzbird; 10-11-2007 at 01:51 PM.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote