Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #11
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: "Fair weather fans."

I think it's important to keep these things in perspective. When we lose to teams we shouldn't, that makes the team more open to questioning. My problem is often with Steelers fans highs being too high and lows being too low. But it's definitely OK to question this team after losing two straight road games against bad teams, and to feel a little extra down about it.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 AM   #12
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Oh, goody..here we go again!

The ever popular "you-can't-be-a-real-Steeler fan-and-trash-the-team" debate!

People....for the love of Pete...TAKE IT DOWN A NOTCH!! (Sorry to shout, but this really gets on my last nerve!)

OK, I know after a loss like the one to Denver it's easy to harp on the various and assorted flaws the team has. I also know that it is very easy to get frustrated after what should have been a winnable game. That said, however, as fans we have to realize that it as frustrating as it is for us it has to be doubly so for the players and coaches.

Bottom line: We as fans are going to discuss and debate our opinions(that is, after all what MB's like this are created for) but let's not be so negative to think the season is over before it's barely started. And please let's not fight among ourselves about who is a "true" Steeler fan and who isn't just because we have strong opinions. In the end, we all love the Black and Gold and just want to see the team succeed. That cannot happen if the fan base is trying to see who loves the team more. It's a fruitless-and, dare I say stupid-argument.

Just my .02
Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 AM   #13
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Fickle and spoiled - definitely two accurate descriptions of far too many Steelers fans. We have many in our fanbase who think it's their birthright that the Steelers win the Super Bowl every year, and if they don't, then the sky is falling, the team sucks and everyone should be fired. And I'm not exaggerating either. You can call it what you want and you can flame me all you want, but it's the truth, and as is the case most times, nobody likes to hear or see the truth.
AMEN.

While there is nothing wrong with critiquing the team after a loss, I find those who only come around here when the Steelers lose to bitch and moan quite disturbing. When the Steelers win, they are nowhere to be found. I don't call 'em FWF's necessarily - I refer to them as boo birds.

I certainly never felt this team would go 16-0 - that is almost an impossible feat in today's NFL. On the other hand, as has been said around these forums by myself and others - I would rather have the losses coming now against non-divisional opponents and save our best games for our divisional opponents and those games in the last quarter of the season. I hate it when the Steelers lose, too, and I'll freely admit that, but I am a realist and realize that going into Week #8 with a 4-2 record and atop the division isn't cause for panic or despair.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #14
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,288 Times in 470 Posts

As far as the performance Sunday night goes, especially the D in particular, it was complete dogsh*t - that's the plain truth with no shellack on it.

That being said, you'll have to forgive me for expressing annoyance at those who never say a word and are inexplicably absent here after a win, but the minute the clock hits triple zero after a loss, they're right here front and center to declare (loudly) that the team sucks, won't win another game, and everybody in the FO needs to be fired. If that makes me a deluded homer that drinks B&G Kool-Aid/wears B&G sunglasses, so be it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #15
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Sometimes people just type out their thoughts. We have a wide range of personalities and ages here. Some of us are impulsive, and some are thoughtful. Each must be maddening to the other.

I like it when someone posts what they saw, what they think it means, and what they think should be done to correct it. It doesn't matter whether they are right or wrong; after all, as Preach said, none of us work for the Rooneys. But it makes for a fun forum. And it beats just spouting out; if you can explain what you see, with examples, it means you're involved both emotionally and intellectually. And again, that makes for a fun forum.

What is GREAT is that we can do all this without the "your a maron" stuff that infests other forums. Even when emotions flare, they flare that the ideas, not at the people.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #16
Steeldude
Living Legend

coming into this year i did not expect the steelers to win over 9 games.

rah-rah fans annoy me more than anything. to them one win means the steelers are going to the SB. say one thing negative about BR and they slap the "you are a not a steelers' fan" on you. on the other hand i am a realist.

i have stated many times over the last 4 years that the steelers need to address their LBs and O-line. this past draft they addressed the LBs, but i am not so sure about the timmons pick. remains to be seen.

this season does not look good for the steelers. they have no O-line at all. it will get worse next year when faneca leaves. for some odd reason the steelers gave simmons(1st round bust) more money. the bad part is i doubt the steelers will address the O-line in the 2008 draft. i have a bad feeling they are going to waste another 1st round pick on a WR.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Rah-rahs are annoying. The fickle doom-and-gloomers aren't any better. There's a fine line between "realist" and "fickle".

It's still too damn early to declare anything. How about waiting and seeing what this team does the next couple weeks. This team is 4-2. Not 2-4 like last year.

Why does losing make Steeler fans stupid?
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #18
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Rah-rahs are annoying. The fickle doom-and-gloomers aren't any better. There's a fine line between "realist" and "fickle".

It's still too damn early to declare anything. How about waiting and seeing what this team does the next couple weeks. This team is 4-2. Not 2-4 like last year.

Why does losing make Steeler fans stupid?
i never commented on whether or not the steelers will make the playoffs or SB. all remains to be seen i was just stating my prediction of their record before the season started. after the season started i figured the steelers might win close to 11 or 12 games. not based on the steelers themselves, but more on the lack of quality teams in the NFL this year.

one thing is for sure if the steelers don't fix that putrid O-line it's going to be tough season.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #19
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

It's a long season ahead of us and I like our chances. One game dictates nothing.

All I know is the excitement is starting to build for this Sunday's game against the bungles. Win or lose, I live for Steelers Football.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #20
oldschool
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5139

Fair weather fans, I remember back to a cold December morning in 79, we were in a job trailer on a construction site outside of the Burgh drinking coffee and talking about our favorite subject, the Steelers before work. In walks our old crusty superintendent and he asks us what we’re talking about, the Steelers what else! Ah, your just a bunch of fair weather fans! What do ya mean, we’ve been Steelers fans since we’ve been kids! Ah, fair weather fans! Yea everyone a Steelers fan, they win a couple of Super Bowls and now everyone’s a fan!! I’ve had season tickets for 30 YEARS, sitting in the rain watching them lose to every sorry team that could scrape together bus fare into town. I’ve sat trough one loosing season after another, I’m a fan!! They get a fancy stadium, win a couple of Super Bowls now everyone’s a “FAN”.

It kind of put thing into perspective even back then, what kind of fan are you, their our team, they are going to lose some games, but true fans are in for the long haul, 75 years 5 rings. That means 69 out of 74 seasons we didn’t get it done, but that’s life in the NFL, it sure makes winning it all pretty special!

"Medical expertise does not necessarily tell about the will of a man.".....Mike Tomlin
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote