Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #21
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: "Fair weather fans."

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
Fair weather fans, I remember back to a cold December morning in 79, we were in a job trailer on a construction site outside of the Burgh drinking coffee and talking about our favorite subject, the Steelers before work. In walks our old crusty superintendent and he asks us what we?re talking about, the Steelers what else! Ah, your just a bunch of fair weather fans! What do ya mean, we?ve been Steelers fans since we?ve been kids! Ah, fair weather fans! Yea everyone a Steelers fan, they win a couple of Super Bowls and now everyone?s a fan!! I?ve had season tickets for 30 YEARS, sitting in the rain watching them lose to every sorry team that could scrape together bus fare into town. I?ve sat trough one loosing season after another, I?m a fan!! They get a fancy stadium, win a couple of Super Bowls now everyone?s a ?FAN?.

It kind of put thing into perspective even back then, what kind of fan are you, their our team, they are going to lose some games, but true fans are in for the long haul, 75 years 5 rings. That means 69 out of 74 seasons we didn?t get it done, but that?s life in the NFL, it sure makes winning it all pretty special!
What a GREAT post oldschool! Kudos!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #22
Rob64
Water Boy

Member Number: 6042

I love how some on here call people "fair weather fans" if they make a comment about their favorite player or a comment on why the team lost. I was called a fair weather fan for my post and I've been watching this team since '74 even when there were lean years. I've never missed one game so I think you should watch how you throw that term around.
Rob64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:58 AM   #23
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob64 View Post
I love how some on here call people "fair weather fans" if they make a comment about their favorite player or a comment on why the team lost. I was called a fair weather fan for my post and I've been watching this team since '74 even when there were lean years. I've never missed one game so I think you should watch how you throw that term around.
First off, I was trying to say that If you are a fan, you have a right to post your thoughts and not be labeled a "fair weather fan". I noticed how you started a thread about Troy being overrated and there were some here that was calling you this very thing. I was trying to take your side sir. I'm sorry that you did not realize this. So be it.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:21 AM   #24
augustashark
Assistant Coach

[QUOTE=Edman;311758]Nobody said you were a fairweather fan. If you check the posts here and there since last Sunday, not one person uttered the word "fairweather". "Fickle" is the better word. Don't get the two confused, Augusta.

Steelers win: We're going to the Super Bowl!
Steelers lose: This team is garbage, this season is over.

The D is a prime example. One bad game, now all of the sudden they suck. It's one thing to be concerned, but the doom-and-gloom has to stop. If the season plays out as much as fans and media percieve it as of now, the Patriots are the Super Bowl Champions right now. A lot can happen from here until February.

We Steeler fans were SO spoiled from 15-1. We have this somewhat false sense of security that this team is invincible. How about swallowing pride and giving credit to the opponent for once. Denver played the game of their lives, Pittsburgh played a sloppy game, and we still lost by 3 LOUSY POINTS ON A LAST-SECOND FIELD GOAL. Please Augusta and all you naysayers, feel free to stop watching the Steelers anytime you please is you believe this season is shot. No one is going to stop you.[/QUOTE]

I do not know you so I will not make this personal, but I don't know what the heck you are talking about!

I was not talking about myself.

YES the word "fair weather" has been used since sunday night.

Also, please feel free and go back through my posts and read them and see if there is any kind of track record that proves that I'm a "naysayer" as you put it. If there is not then you should lean to speak only when you know the facts! Just hint myfriend you will not find any.

I don't get spoiled as you put it. I just expect us to play up to are abilities and when we don't then I will express my opionion on why we did'nt.

Swallow pride! Do you really think on the flight back to Pittsburgh coach Tomlin stood up and said listen men, I know you gave it your all but lets swallow some pride and give credit to a better team. I think not. I'm sure it was closer to: Men there were some serious mental mistakes out there tonight that cost us this game and when we get back home we are going to address them. During film today I'm sure there was more talk about what we did wrong other then what they did right.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 AM   #25
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
During film today I'm sure there was more talk about what we did wrong other then what they did right.

Nope... Today, they were introduced once again to.. "The News" as Tomlin likes to call it.

I am SURE no one was happy to hear their name on "The News" either!!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #26
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

geesh....they start the season at 3 - 0, and all the sudden its superbowl or bust !!! nobody can honestly say, that they were exspecting a perfect season or a superbowl win 3 months ago. so why is it ,just because they beat 3 sub standard teams at the begining of the season, and all the sudden the espectations go through the roof? we were 8 - 8 last year people ! albeit they were underachievers , but we new coming into this year , some of last years problems were going to carry over to this year. how could they not ? the oline was horrible last year....did you really exspect the addition of mahan to simply solve the problem? just imagine how its gonna be next year ,when faneca departs, and smith starts whining about his contract. the DB'S were a mess last year , they have a few good games against some of the leagues worst qb's ,barring maybe hasselbeck, and some of you were ready to crown them the best secondary in the league. lets not forget the bronco's were coming into this season with higher exspectations from the sports media than the steelers. they've definetly been underachievers thus far,possibly due to injurys but none the less they've still been an elite team and perrenial contender for a long time, and shanahan knows how to win.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #27
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I am the True Fair Weather Fan

That means, even though I sat through Walter Abercrombie, Loui Lipps, and 9 different qbs since Bradshaw, and had my heart ripped from my chest 9 or so times between afc title losses, a super bowl loss and other PO losses, I always want it to be Fair Weather for my Team.

A fan is a fan, regardless of whether or not they have been rooting for the steelers since they were 2 and they wanted the black team to beat the blue team cause all the adults in the room were cheering for the blue team, or they were turned to the "dark side" when the steelers hoisted the trophy two years ago and realized that through it all, the Rooney Family and the Attitude of a blue collar work ethic was something they associated with, DOESNT MATTER. What matters is the fans are here now, and even though a loss to Denver (which historically, we lose to Denver in the regular season) sucks, it is only something to make the team stronger. Cause when it counts, we learn, hey, we need to pressure the QB more, Ward needs to hold on to the ball, the offense can pass, the defense can once in a while make a stop and in a 2 minute drill, we can score.

SO Fair Weather, Stormy Weather or Bermuda Weather (non hurricane) IT JUST DOESNT MATTER!!!! A Fan is a Fan is a Fan...And DANG IT!!! If you take the time to go online, to a Steelers forum and post your thoughts (bad or good) that shows ME you are a FAN. And DANG IT. I love our FANS!!!!!

PEACE!!!
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #28
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
I am the True Fair Weather Fan

That means, even though I sat through Walter Abercrombie, Loui Lipps, and 9 different qbs since Bradshaw, and had my heart ripped from my chest 9 or so times between afc title losses, a super bowl loss and other PO losses, I always want it to be Fair Weather for my Team.

A fan is a fan, regardless of whether or not they have been rooting for the steelers since they were 2 and they wanted the black team to beat the blue team cause all the adults in the room were cheering for the blue team, or they were turned to the "dark side" when the steelers hoisted the trophy two years ago and realized that through it all, the Rooney Family and the Attitude of a blue collar work ethic was something they associated with, DOESNT MATTER. What matters is the fans are here now, and even though a loss to Denver (which historically, we lose to Denver in the regular season) sucks, it is only something to make the team stronger. Cause when it counts, we learn, hey, we need to pressure the QB more, Ward needs to hold on to the ball, the offense can pass, the defense can once in a while make a stop and in a 2 minute drill, we can score.

SO Fair Weather, Stormy Weather or Bermuda Weather (non hurricane) IT JUST DOESNT MATTER!!!! A Fan is a Fan is a Fan...And DANG IT!!! If you take the time to go online, to a Steelers forum and post your thoughts (bad or good) that shows ME you are a FAN. And DANG IT. I love our FANS!!!!!

PEACE!!!
We think that all of you who cheered for us are true fans.

Sinerely,

Calvin Sweeney
Greg Hawthorne
Sam Washington
Delton Hall
Mark Malone
Wayne Capers
Harvey Clayton
Rick Woods
Harry Newsome
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #29
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,198 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
We think that all of you who cheered for us are true fans.

Sinerely,

Calvin Sweeney
Greg Hawthorne
Sam Washington
Delton Hall
Mark Malone
Wayne Capers
Harvey Clayton
Rick Woods
Harry Newsome
nice
Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #30
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
geesh....they start the season at 3 - 0, and all the sudden its superbowl or bust !!! nobody can honestly say, that they were exspecting a perfect season or a superbowl win 3 months ago. so why is it ,just because they beat 3 sub standard teams at the begining of the season, and all the sudden the espectations go through the roof? we were 8 - 8 last year people ! albeit they were underachievers , but we new coming into this year , some of last years problems were going to carry over to this year. how could they not ? the oline was horrible last year....did you really exspect the addition of mahan to simply solve the problem? just imagine how its gonna be next year ,when faneca departs, and smith starts whining about his contract. the DB'S were a mess last year , they have a few good games against some of the leagues worst qb's ,barring maybe hasselbeck, and some of you were ready to crown them the best secondary in the league. lets not forget the bronco's were coming into this season with higher exspectations from the sports media than the steelers. they've definetly been underachievers thus far,possibly due to injurys but none the less they've still been an elite team and perrenial contender for a long time, and shanahan knows how to win.

I don't think I've ever said SB or bust. I was just trying to point out that we have a long way to go. I also tried to point out that if you have neg remarks about the team after that loss, that you are not a "fair weather fan" thats it. Nothing more nothing less.

Thanks MOP.