Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-23-2007, 01:56 AM   #1
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900
Default "Fair weather fans."

I love it when someone says they are upset with the coaching or play calling, or if a player is overrated that they are pointed out as "fair weather" or "bandwagon" fans.

I was very pissed at how we played last night. We were beat by a team that:

A. Was missing their best two players.

B. Beat two very bad teams by last second FG's.

C. That has one of the worst run D's in the NFL!

I agree that Denver's back was up against the wall and it was a must win game for them. We however (if were as good as we think we are) should be able to go into Mile high and win.

Our two losses came against below .500 ball clubs! You can't do that and expect to win the SB!

We as fans can only keep saying "You can't win them all" or "we have time to fix the problems" for so long. Remember, that 2005 team was a once a decade kind of run, maybe once a generation. We can't think that we can just turn it on when we have to. It does'nt work that way in the NFL!

I'm very worried about this team, and I don't care if we win in Cincinnati next week, that will not change anything. Until we can go on the road and beat a good team I will stay worried.

Oh yea, call me what you want for being very pissed at what happen last night. I don't have to justify to anyone what kind of fan I am, nor do any of you.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:25 AM   #2
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736
Default Re: "Fair weather fans."

No you do not have to justify your frustration but as a long time fans myself I can only tell you what my perspective is. I do not think the Steelers are a Super Bowl contender AT THIS TIME. They do not have a power running game which I think is essential for the Steelers. Whether it is the Ol or the running backs I am not sure yet. It may be both but I am leaning toward an inconsistent offensive line.

I believe Ben is a tremendous quarterack and Tomelin will be a great coach. As a fan I choose not to criticize them but support them. The Steelers are who they are and unless the opffensive line some how improves during the season , (which it could considering it added two new players) the Steelers are going to lose games they should not . Pleased know that I live among the most fairweather fans , namely the 49ers and it is a joke. For me if the Steelers make the play offs this year I am happy. They do have a team and coaching staff that they can build upon and remember they are the PITTSBURTH STEELERS and that is special. Out here in Sacramento they are an extremely popular team a close third to the Whiners , and the Raiders. Enjoy the season and hope they make some corrections because that is what well coached teams do.

Michael from Aliquippa to Sacramento California
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:29 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I think the reaction was more to the fact that....

During the bye week... the questions were of the "Is this the best defense since the 70s? type questions. Is there anyone as good as us? Can we beat the pats?

Now, after one loss, it seems like we are asking, "Will we make the playoffs?" why do we suck so much? Why don't we do this, or that?

Doesn't that seem a little absurd to you too? Wouldn't you agree that there really is no reason for Chicken Little to show up around here yet?

Are there concerns? Of course there is concerns. Our O line that I thought came together well showed considerable weakness yesterday. Our D that we thought almost invincible reminded us a little too much of 2003.

But that is a far cry from declaring that this person sucks, that person is wrong, We knew we would be horrible, blah blah blah.

What is even more hilarious... are the people that act like we are doing the team a disservice by putting our head in the sand... which leads me to another thread...
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:49 AM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Nobody said you were a fairweather fan. If you check the posts here and there since last Sunday, not one person uttered the word "fairweather". "Fickle" is the better word. Don't get the two confused, Augusta.

Steelers win: We're going to the Super Bowl!
Steelers lose: This team is garbage, this season is over.

The D is a prime example. One bad game, now all of the sudden they suck. It's one thing to be concerned, but the doom-and-gloom has to stop. If the season plays out as much as fans and media percieve it as of now, the Patriots are the Super Bowl Champions right now. A lot can happen from here until February.

We Steeler fans were SO spoiled from 15-1. We have this somewhat false sense of security that this team is invincible. How about swallowing pride and giving credit to the opponent for once. Denver played the game of their lives, Pittsburgh played a sloppy game, and we still lost by 3 LOUSY POINTS ON A LAST-SECOND FIELD GOAL. Please Augusta and all you naysayers, feel free to stop watching the Steelers anytime you please is you believe this season is shot. No one is going to stop you.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:55 AM   #5
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

I love the Pittsburth Steelers and have for over 40 years. I replayed the first half of the Denver game and I am analyzing it just to satisfy myself. I am in the process of evaluating this team and and in the end I will accept them for who they are. The Pittsburgh Steelers are an incredible franchise deserving of my respect and loyalty because they are not the Bengals, not the Cowboys, not the Raiders and I could go on. I do not criticize any fan for their criticism . That is their right and quite frankly like in all other subjects some people do not know their subject matter but just simply like to express their anger. Thats life and that certainly is sports, and always will be.

I have arrived at the point in my life where I enjoy the Steelers and the season is not a dissapointment if they do win the Super Bowl. However I do expect hardnosed blue collar football , aggressive blitzing defense, power running game with a more open passing attack (not Tommy ball ) going deep on occassion. I expect the Steelers to make the play offs at least 7 out of 10 years and would hope and expect the Steelers to win 1 to 3 more Super Bowls under Ben's career. Other Brady and Manning there is no other QB I would even consider and certainly not Romo.

Joe Greene became a man because he played for the Steelers and in turn he offered a magic quality of "WE WILL WIN". The Steelers do win and they are by and large what a local sports commentator out in Sacramento out here aptly describes ,

"When you play for the Pittsburgh Steelers you must be a good citizen.

Now that is what is special yesterday and today about our Steelers.

They do win and they win with class. So rare in sports but we have it and enjoy it.

Michael
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,419 Times in 1,444 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I have to say I've been a steeler fan since the 70's I've seen the good years and the bad ones. If we don't win another game this year I will still be a steeler fan next year.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #7
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
I have to say I've been a steeler fan since the 70's I've seen the good years and the bad ones. If we don't win another game this year I will still be a steeler fan next year.
Second that
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:18 AM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

THANK YOU AS.

Refreshing to hear.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Nobody said you were a fairweather fan. If you check the posts here and there since last Sunday, not one person uttered the word "fairweather". "Fickle" is the better word. Don't get the two confused, Augusta.

Steelers win: We're going to the Super Bowl!
Steelers lose: This team is garbage, this season is over.

The D is a prime example. One bad game, now all of the sudden they suck. It's one thing to be concerned, but the doom-and-gloom has to stop. If the season plays out as much as fans and media percieve it as of now, the Patriots are the Super Bowl Champions right now. A lot can happen from here until February.

We Steeler fans were SO spoiled from 15-1. We have this somewhat false sense of security that this team is invincible. How about swallowing pride and giving credit to the opponent for once. Denver played the game of their lives, Pittsburgh played a sloppy game, and we still lost by 3 LOUSY POINTS ON A LAST-SECOND FIELD GOAL. Please Augusta and all you naysayers, feel free to stop watching the Steelers anytime you please is you believe this season is shot. No one is going to stop you.
Fickle and spoiled - definitely two accurate descriptions of far too many Steelers fans. We have many in our fanbase who think it's their birthright that the Steelers win the Super Bowl every year, and if they don't, then the sky is falling, the team sucks and everyone should be fired. And I'm not exaggerating either. You can call it what you want and you can flame me all you want, but it's the truth, and as is the case most times, nobody likes to hear or see the truth.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
Our two losses came against below .500 ball clubs! You can't do that and expect to win the SB!
Your just a bandwagon fan.

Here.....