Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-26-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886
Default Without a Fullback

Rushing Stats 2005 (with fullback)

Through week 7, week 4 bye >>>>>2005 competition: Tennessee, Houston, New England, San Diego and Jacksonville.

Attmps avg yards td?s

113 4.8 539 3

Rushing Stats 2007 (without fullback)

Through week 7, week 6 bye >>>>>2007 competition: Cleveland, Buffalo, San Francisco, Arizona, Seattle and Denver.

Attmps avg yards td?s

142 4.2 600 1

It took Willie only 113 carries to reach 539 yards in 2005. In contrary in took him 142 carries (approx. 29 more carries) just to reach 600 yardsin 2007. During the year 2006 he had 5 td?s by week 7 with 481 yards in 126 carries.

Also look at the teams the Steelers played in each season. If they played the same teams this year that they played in 2005 I believe the rushing yards would be even lower.

Willie may be getting more carries but 4.8 to 4.2 yards is a significant drop. When Ben throws more than 30 times the Steelers are horrible. But he only throws over 30 when the team is behind and that?s why it looks like the amount of passes cause the loss. When it?s a lack of production in the running game not having Ben throw too much. I hope Tomlin goes back to Dan Krieder or the Steelers may be in trouble when they go up against better defenses like the Pats. They will destroy a ground attack with no fullback.

I think 2006 was an wasted year because cower was leaving.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,344 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Without a Fullback

I would like to see krieder back in on more plays it seemed like willie was alot better back and had better holes to hit.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

funny thing, i was just thinking yesterday that i should look up the stats and start the same thread. it's not overwelming, but i wish kreider was back.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
I would like to see krieder back in on more plays it seemed like willie was alot better back and had better holes to hit.
I couldn't agree with you more. I agree with Tomlin on just about every change he's made, but using Carey Davis over one of the top FBs in the league just doesn't make sense to me.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

All week long I have been critical of our fans who have been critical of the Steeler's play selection and offensive critcisms. However I DO AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT GETTING KRIEDER BACK INTO THE BACKFIELD. This is painfully obvious to me. Our offensive line needs all the help it can get. Run blacking and plus protecting Ben. What many fans will not come to terms with is that Ben is not getting the time to throw. Good point.

It took Willie only 113 carries to reach 539 yards in 2005. In contrary in took him 142 carries (approx. 29 more carries) just to reach 600 yardsin 2007. During the year 2006 he had 5 td?s by week 7 with 481 yards in 126 carries.

Also look at the teams the Steelers played in each season. If they played the same teams this year that they played in 2005 I believe the rushing yards would be even lower.

Willie may be getting more carries but 4.8 to 4.2 yards is a significant drop. When Ben throws more than 30 times the Steelers are horrible. But he only throws over 30 when the team is behind and that?s why it looks like the amount of passes cause the loss. When it?s a lack of production in the running game not having Ben throw too much. I hope Tomlin goes back to Dan Krieder or the Steelers may be in trouble when they go up against better defenses like the Pats. They will destroy a ground attack with no fullback.

I think 2006 was an wasted year because cower was leaving.[/QUOTE]
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

This is stupid.

I'm not even going to look it up, because i distinctly remember willie having like 200+ yrds, almost in back to back weeks vs. Tenn. and Houston.

Then laid three stinkers vs. NE, SD, J-ville.

How can you call willies only full year as a lone starter a "wasted year" ... if anything, its the only thing you should be comparing. And I bet the only reason you didn't do 2006, was probably because you didnt get the stats you want.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Agreed with most .... I really have little problem with the multiple TE formations. I think it has made us much better in the redzone and less predictable overall. My issue is that when we use a fullback it should be Krieder and not Davis.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886

One more item that makes me believe having Krieder in the backfield at times would be a plus. During play-action plays Ben fakes a hand-off to Willie then Wiliie flares out for a pass. As soon as a d-linemen gets past the o-line thats it. But with Dan in the game, who is the best blocking back on the steelers Ben has a extra blocker to stop the blitz or what-have-you.

The play action game is also suffering because when your in a semi-run or semi-pass formation and your ground game is not producing in a game the play-action is less effective. The way the offense is now teams are starting to play the pass and then the run when thats usually the other way around with the Steelers.

I think Arians is doing a good job this year and I do think the offense is improving. I may be an old school Steelers fan who does not see going into more passing formations on first downs as a plus. If thats the case the so-be-it. But I still believe that putting a Dan back in the game would be a plus.

The last time the Steelers tried to go to more of a passing offense It did not work. The only reason the passing game went so well with Tommy Maddox in the first year is because no teams were prepared for the Steelers to pass so much. But the following year it crashed because teams were preparing for them to pass first and the Steelers were built for running game first to set up the pass.

Maybe they are trying to go to a Colts or Pats game plan where you pass to set up the run. I dont know but I still think Tomlin is in his learning year and he will use what works the best.

Go Steelers whip the Bunjgles
Old 10-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Not only are we missing Kreider, we are missing an OL.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

well, tomlin must have read this thread, cause they started kreider on sunday (althought he got injured early) it sounds like he is recovering well, do you think he'll get started against baltimore?