Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 10-28-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers' McFadden stuck in a corner

Steelers' McFadden stuck in a corner
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, October 28, 2007

Cornerback Bryant McFadden understands his Steelers' teammates need him playing in today's game against the Cincinnati Bengals. But McFadden also understands it's a long season, and four weeks might not be enough time to recover from the dreaded high ankle sprain.
"It's kind of a crazy injury," said McFadden, who went down Sept. 30 against Arizona. "Playing cornerback and being able to play against fast athletes, I need to have all my lateral movement to be able to do what I did before I hurt my ankle."

McFadden admits to being in a quandary that all football players face -- the desire to play versus the need to recover from injury.

"Only I know if I'm ready," he said.

As the Steelers' nickel back, McFadden's value is never greater than it is against a pass-happy attack like Cincinnati's. He's at least two inches taller and is more experienced than rookie William Gay, his replacement.
It's only logical that the Bengals, who feature explosive receivers Chad Johnson and T.J Houshmandzadeh, will attempt to identify and create mismatches against Gay, a fifth-round draft pick who's still learning the defense.

"The more guys you have in coverage, the better it is for the defense," McFadden said. "The way they throw the ball, you're going to need guys that can cover and make an impact."

Starting left cornerback Ike Taylor said the secondary will have its hands full covering Cincinnati's talented receivers.

"Other than Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne (with the Colts), you've got to put those two right up there," Taylor said.

The Steelers have invested considerable time and money in McFadden, a second-round draft pick in 2005 who has started a total of 10 games and tied for the team lead with three interceptions last season.

Gay was a late-round draft pick who wasn't expected to contribute right away. Because of McFadden's injury, he's been forced to grow up quickly.

"(The injury) feels a whole lot better, which is positive for me, letting me know I am making progress," said McFadden, who has 13 tackles and a fumble recovery in 2007 and also returned an interception 50 yards for a touchdown against San Francisco. "But the trainers told me I have to be very, very patient. Sometimes I might think it's all the way where I need to be, and end up reinjuring myself. It's an injury where I have to be patient and not try to rush it.

"Playing cornerback, especially in our defense, we're man-to-man a whole lot. If I'm not 100 percent, I'm pretty much on an island. If I'm not able to move laterally and come out of my breaks and be quick to the point of attack, I'm going to end up hurting myself and hurting the team. You really have to understand the nature of the injury and the nature of the position. If I was playing defensive line or linebacker, it'd be a quicker recovery because I'm not asked to do too much in open space the way we play defense."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,411 Times in 1,439 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers' McFadden stuck in a corner

I hope mcfadden get better soon I think he is a key piece in our deffense,I really like gay he is improving everyweek I just hope he can step up this week against the bengals.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I have much sympathy for him.

I fell and sprained my ankle in Aapril and even with rehabbing it 3-4 times a week on a Pilates reformer machine and taping it when I do cardio, it still bothers me and I have to be really careful. I wonder if it will ever feel normal again.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'd love nothing more than to see BMac out there today, but he is right - only he knows when he will be ready. I had a high ankle sprain a number of years ago that I got while rounding third base to score during a softball game. To this day, it still bothers me if I make a quick lateral movement.

Gay appears to be a physical player and showing the Bi tch Brothers the "brute" early on will only be a plus. Those two don't like getting dirty so rushing them to the turf early and often will take them off of their game.

In other words - BEAT THEM DOWN!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

mcfadden the dancing pass interference machine is not needed. i am hoping he stays out for a little longer so gay can get more experience.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:39 AM   #6
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Take your time McFadden. I don't want to see him rushed back as Kendrell Bell was a few years ago. As we all remember, Bell came back sooner than expected and re-injured his ankle in the first half of the game. A lot of people have said that a high ankle sprain is worse than a fracture.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
Take your time McFadden. I don't want to see him rushed back as Kendrell Bell was a few years ago. As we all remember, Bell came back sooner than expected and re-injured his ankle in the first half of the game. A lot of people have said that a high ankle sprain is worse than a fracture.
Many sprangs are worse then fractures. Fractures are bone. You can X-ray bone and see that it is healed. SPrangs are rips in the ligaments. As a result, it take longer to heal, and they are never quite sure it is healed.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote