Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 10-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Simmons

what in the world did the steelers see in simmons to give him that new contract? it's almost as bad as the kordell contract 8 years ago

simmons has been horrible since day 1. he can't run block because he is too weak and he can't pass block because he is too slow. he misses blocks, false starts, holding penalties and slow to get out of his stance.

smith - is showing signs of declining

faneca - is gone next year

mahan - average on a good day

simmons - putrid

colon - jury is still out
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Simmons

Smith...I don't think he is starting to decline....I just think people always over-rated him since he was the best OT on the team since Wayne Gandy left...I have always thought Smith is better suited at RT....I just never thought he was great at pass protection as a LT...he did good but not great....

As for Faneca yes he is gone and his play has shown that at times and again never thought he was great in pass protection.....I can't wait until he is gone....Steelers need to find a replacement.....It could be Willie Colon.....When he was drafted some said he was a better fit at OG.....

Mahan-You're right he is average and does alright.....That doesn't cut it though.....I don't think he has the strength the Steelers are use to seeing in their center.....Wouldn't mind seeing move to guard next year...

Simmons-He can die for all I care...He sucks that bad to me...lol Ok not really I'm not that extreme but yes now it looks like a terrible decision to resign Kendall...

Colon-Has looked terrible all year at RT makes me kind of miss Max Starks at RT...lol Which I hated Starks as well...lol

Steelers would be best to draft a true LT and a new center......Other teams have started rookies at these positions and did fine......Try Mahan and Kemoeatu at OG also.....If you don't want to start a true rook at LT then let the rook play RT and keep Smith at LT...If not move Smith to RT....

Actually I wouldn't be upset if the Steelers drafted three Olineman next year...I think its that big of a need....

Three Olineman,DE,WR and corner should be the Steelers targets....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

I think some high draft picks in the OF line position is a must....have you guys noticed that Brady and Manning hardly ever get sacked?

They have all day to throw!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Smith is OK, but I agree with BAGF32 that he'd be better at RT than LT. BTW, wasn't he originally drafted as a RT? Not sure on that.

Faneca is gone - no doubt. Will be very hard to replace.

Mahan is OK.

Simmons needs to be on the first bus out of town after this season. A BIG mistake giving him the money that, in retrospect, Faneca should have gotten.

Colon is just a rookie, so I'm not ready to throw him under the bus just yet.

Still though, the OL must be the primary focus in the offseason, both in the draft and in FA if anything is out there worth bringing in.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Smith is OK, but I agree with BAGF32 that he'd be better at RT than LT. BTW, wasn't he originally drafted as a RT? Not sure on that.

Faneca is gone - no doubt. Will be very hard to replace.

Mahan is OK.

Simmons needs to be on the first bus out of town after this season. A BIG mistake giving him the money that, in retrospect, Faneca should have gotten.

Colon is just a rookie, so I'm not ready to throw him under the bus just yet.

Still though, the OL must be the primary focus in the offseason, both in the draft and in FA if anything is out there worth bringing in.
Yes Smith was a RT...Moved to LT after Wayne Gandy left.....I don't think Gandy was great either....I like Smith don't get me wrong but I would like a more athletic LT and one great in pass protection for Ben's blind side....
Old 10-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV STEELERS 723 View Post
I think some high draft picks in the OF line position is a must....have you guys noticed that Brady and Manning hardly ever get sacked?

They have all day to throw!
But Manning has adapted to a rookie at LT - this from the Boston Globe today:

The Patriots visit the Colts next Sunday in one of the most anticipated regular-season games in recent NFL history. From discussions with coaches and scouts around the league, here are three nuggets on the Colts' offense:

1. Commitment to the run: Defensive coordinators facing the Colts have generally used the same approach, splitting their safeties in the back half of the field in an attempt to take away the big passing play. In past years, quarterback Peyton Manning might have still tried to hit the big play, but this year - more than ever - he's content to hand the ball to running back Joseph Addai (100 carries, 492 yards) when defenses present a seven-man front.

2. 12 personnel: In past years, offensive coordinator Tom Moore has favored a personnel package with three receivers and one tight end, but that has changed this year. Instead, Moore uses mostly 12 personnel - two receivers and two tight ends. The key is tight end Dallas Clark (30 catches, 6 TDs), who creates mismatch problems for a defense because - like Patriots tight end Benjamin Watson - he plays the role of both tight end and receiver. "If you decide to put your sub defense in, they will line him up next to the offensive tackle and go into a run formation and identify where the nickel is and run to it," said one assistant coach. "If you stay with your base, they can put him in the slot and attack you that way."

3. Quicker throws: With a rookie left tackle in Tony Ugoh, the Colts are getting the ball out of Manning's hands quicker. One of the team's trademarks - the deep crossing route off play-action - hasn't been as prevalent, apparently because the Colts aren't as confident in their protection after 10-year veteran Tarik Glenn, Manning's longtime blind-side protector, unexpectedly retired this offseason.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...huddle/?page=3

Agreed the OL needs work but but great QBs and O- coordinators adjust to changes in the personnel around them - if the Steelers have thrown anything other than a flanker screen out a three step drop this year i cannot remember it. If it was not for Ben's mobility this pass offense would be inept; maybe the next step is for Anderson and Arians to work with Ben on some change-ups that will force changes in coverages.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Yes the Colts losing Glenn before the season started was huge but that was really their only loss on very good Oline....

The Steelers have bigger issues then just one new guy on the Oline.......New starters at center and RT.....A OG that doesn't care since he is in the last year of his contract and well Kendall Simmons who just sucks...lol

All I'm saying its easier for the Colts to adjust their offesne with Tony Ugoh who is a good football player in his own right....He was on my Steelers draft wish list....

The Steelers have so many problems on the Oline its not even funny....Yes they played better today but it was the Bengals front 7...lol
Old 10-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Simmons has gone from a liability to a cancer. I get the feeling that the O-Line has to account for Simmons' gaffes on occasion, therefore making them look silly as a unit. Simmons is a bust. A first-rounder, and has yet to reach All-Pro status. Instead, the best Steelers can hope for out of this guy is an average performance.

Simmons, like Starks, is a backup and not a starter. He's too damn soft and gets destroyed by the more competant to average DT's. The Front Office dropped the ball on his re-signing.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Simmons has gone from a liability to a cancer. I get the feeling that the O-Line has to account for Simmons' gaffes on occasion, therefore making them look silly as a unit. Simmons is a bust. A first-rounder, and has yet to reach All-Pro status. Instead, the best Steelers can hope for out of this guy is an average performance.

Simmons, like Starks, is a backup and not a starter. He's too damn soft and gets destroyed by the more competant to average DT's. The Front Office dropped the ball on his re-signing.
Agreed - IMO the front office hit the panic button when the Faneca negotiations blew up, had money to spend on the O-line this season, and had the options of spending it on Starks or Simmons. So Simmons won the lottery
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Agreed - IMO the front office hit the panic button when the Faneca negotiations blew up, had money to spend on the O-line this season, and had the options of spending it on Starks or Simmons. So Simmons won the lottery

Oh God I'm glad Starks wasn't resigned...lol Not that I'm very happy with the Simmons resigning at the moment...Makes you wonder whats really wrong with Big Chris Kemoeatu?....He has to be showing nothing in practice for the coaches to not even think about a switcj.....