Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: Steelers: Worst 5-2 team in history.

ben was on fire today.. hes' the last player anyone needs to be criticizing.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
Steel Warrior
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2771

I'm good, thought we'd be 6-1 after the soft part of the schedule. Thought we'd lose this game and beat the cards and broncos. We're fine. It's a long season.
Steel Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,240 Times in 3,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
Really all this talk about Ben and the one INT he threw today has to stop...I don't think Weeb Ewbank back in the day got on Johnny Unitas case every time he threw a pick...lol He threw one INT...let it go......Now if he would have thrown multi INTs and lost the game then by all means discuss on how Ben needs to improve his decision making....lol

He is light years ahead of last year so I'm fine with Ben so far this year.....

I ask what would the Steelers record be without Ben? Yes Batch is fine backup but I don't think he can make some of the plays Ben makes week in and week out....
I am not busting on Ben and arguing Batch should play LOL - but I agree with Hoge that for Ben to make the leap to the next level the throw it up for grabs and see what happens INT needs to quit happening on a weekly basis.

In terms of strength and mobility IMO Ben already is above Manning and Brady but lags in terms of decisionmaking - I was pleased to hear today Ben said he is studying how Manning makes the long handoff and is trying to use the same mechanics when it is a handoff to Willie P. and when it is play action - those little things are what it takes to become better.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #14
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I am not busting on Ben and arguing Batch should play LOL - but I agree with Hoge that for Ben to make the leap to the next level the throw it up for grabs and see what happens INT needs to quit happening on a weekly basis.

In terms of strength and mobility IMO Ben already is above Manning and Brady but lags in terms of decisionmaking - I was pleased to hear today Ben said he is studying how Manning makes the long handoff and is trying to use the same mechanics when it is a handoff to Willie P. and when it is play action - those little things are what it takes to become better.
I know Dan you're not blasting Ben at all....Trust me he drives nuts as well with those terrible INTs....But its just something I think we're going to have to get used to....Thats part of Ben....I like his gun slinging approach to the game....Yes its careless at times but in another sense Ben can turn any play into a great play....Now if Ben was on the pace of last year regarding INTs then I would be worried...lol

Hopefully Ben takes some more cues from Peyton and just adds it to his game...The guy is still only in his fourth year.....I just would like to see Ben have the time that Peyton or Tom enjoyed...I'm sure he wouldn't throw those terrible INTs....Most of them happen when he is moving in the pocket and trying to make something out of nothing....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #15
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348

Quote:
Which candidly is about what should be expected with the talent level of this team, as it was for the Oilers and Bengals when they played against the Steelers in the 70s.

No shame in that, unlike what the Bengals and Bears are pulling this season.
I agree, espically since we were suppose to finish 3rd in the AFCN by the media accounts. Also, we have a new coach so if we win the divsion and end up 3rd in the conference, I'd call that a successful season. Some people just want 16-0 every year and I want that too but you gotta be realistic about it.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
This team is a very good team in a season featuring one great team and one potentially legendary team.

Merrill Hoge had a good observation on ESPN this evening - the Steelers can approach elite level if Ben raises the level of his game, which Hoge says involves Ben not making the dumb turnover.

If Ben does not throw the horrible INT the Steelers go up 24-6 and today's game is over in the third quarter. That was 2 plays after Ben ran out of bounds on 1st down rather than force something - unfortunately Ben still tries to make the play when nothing is there if he thinks he needs to force something - that leads to great plays like the completion in the first half when he was falling down with a Bengal hanging on to his leg, but 3 out of the last 4 games have seen 2006 Ben making return appearances with forced INTs.

This team goes as far as Ben can take it - at his current level of play that is a first round playoff win and a not particularly close loss in indy or New England after that. Which candidly is about what should be expected with the talent level of this team, as it was for the Oilers and Bengals when they played against the Steelers in the 70s.

No shame in that, unlike what the Bengals and Bears are pulling this season.
As much as I would love to yell and scream, I gotta say that is a dead on post. Ben is a VERY GOOD QB right now. But once in a while, he comes up with a bad decision and costs us and INT. However, he is still learning, and I am happy with that.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #17
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
As much as I would love to yell and scream, I gotta say that is a dead on post. Ben is a VERY GOOD QB right now. But once in a while, he comes up with a bad decision and costs us and INT. However, he is still learning, and I am happy with that.
Exactly, QB's are allowed to make mistakes, even Joe Montana made some bad mistakes.

However, I will say this about Ben. When he's good, he's GOOD, he's right on the money every single play. But when he's bad, he's BAD, he's a turover machine and makes me want to put a bag over my head.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #18
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Here's the bottom line, and I hope the team is taking this to heart - don't worry about what everyone else is doing, and only control what YOU can control. Just take care of business week in and week out, and let the chips fall where they may.
Most definitely.

From the words of a SB winning former Steelers coach - "one game at a time."

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #19
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Just take care of business week in and week out, and let the chips fall where they may.
Exactly. Look at 2004, 2005 vs. predictions. I look at our balance & I know we can hang with anyone. Play our best & let the chips fall where they may.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #20
BozMan
Starter

Member Number: 3027

Quote:

In terms of raw athletic ability, I'd put Ben up against any other QB in the league. The one department holding Ben back is definitely his decision making. It's important to remember that Ben hasn't been playing QB/football all his life like Manning or Brady. He was a multi-sport athlete throughout much of his formative years, and only gravitated towards football his senior high school year. Remember his high school coach playing his own son over Ben for several years?

So when Ben entered the NFL as rookie, he was at a disadvantage compared to someone like Manning during his rookie year. Where this comes into play is decision making. Ben simply hasn't had the same amount of coaching and training as other QBs at the same stage of their careers. That experience pays off when trying to make a split-second decision under intense pressure.

Ben will only get better and has already shown a marked improvement this year under Anderson's tutelage. Hopefully he spends a lot of time outside the game thinking about and reviewing his plays, both good and bad. That will help his ability to quickly make a decision under pressure.
BozMan is offline   Reply With Quote