Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Former Steelers nominated for Hall

Former Steelers nominated for Hall
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Steelers linebackers Levon Kirkland and Hardy Nickerson are among those nominated to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility.

In all, 124 people are on the Hall's modern-era nomination list for the Class of 2008, including former Steelers nominated in previous years as well. They are center Dermontti Dawson, linebacker Kevin Greene, safety Donnie Shell, former coach Buddy Parker and former head of player personnel Art Rooney Jr.

Selectors will choose 25 candidates who will advance as semifinalist nominees from this list, then reduce it to 15 modern-era finalists.

The final list for Hall of Fame consideration will consist of those 15 modern-era nominees plus two previously announced senior nominees, Marshall Goldberg, who played at Pitt, and Emmitt Thomas. Goldberg, a multi-purpose back was a two-way star with the Chicago Cardinals from 1939-1943 and following World War II from 1946 to 1948. Thomas, an all-league cornerback, starred for 13 seasons (1966-1978) for the Kansas City Chiefs. The two senior nominees were selected this past August by the Hall of Fame's Senior Selection Committee.

The Class of 2008 will be selected from the list of 17 finalists (15 modern-era and two senior nominees). The voting will take place Feb. 2 in Phoenix, Ariz. Between four and seven new members will be selected.

To be considered for Hall of Fame election, a nominated player or coach must have been retired at least five years.

The Nominees:

Nominees in First Year of Eligibility

? WIDE RECEIVERS ' Cris Carter, Herman Moore

? RUNNING BACK ' Eric Metcalf (also WR/KR/PR)

? OFFENSIVE TACKLES ' Tony Boselli, Lomas Brown, Richmond Webb

? LINEBACKERS ' Levon Kirkland, Hardy Nickerson

? CORNERBACK ' Darrell Green (CB)

Additional Nominees for the Class of 2008

? QUARTERBACKS ' Ken Anderson, Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason, Jim Plunkett, Phil Simms, Ken Stabler, Joe Theismann, Danny White, Doug Williams

? RUNNING BACKS ' Ottis Anderson, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

? WIDE RECEIVERS ' Cliff Branch, Harold Carmichael, Dwight Clark, Gary Clark, Isaac Curtis, Henry Ellard, Roy Green, *Art Monk, Drew Pearson, *Andre Reed

? TIGHT ENDS ' Mark Bavaro, Todd Christensen, Ben Coates, Russ Francis, Brent Jones, Jay Novacek

? OFFENSIVE LINEMEN ' Jim Covert (T), Dermontti Dawson (C), *Russ Grimm (G), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Kent Hill (G/T), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), *Bob Kuechenberg (G), Jim Lachey (T), Mark May (T/G/C), Randall McDaniel (G), Jeff Van Note (C), Steve Wisniewski (G), *Gary Zimmerman (T)

? DEFENSIVE LINEMEN ' Ray Childress (DT/DE), *Fred Dean (DE), *Richard Dent (DE), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Jacob Green (DE), Charles Haley (DE/LB), Jim Jeffcoat (DE), Ed 'Too Tall' Jones (DE), Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Fred Smerlas (NT)

? LINEBACKERS ' Cornelius Bennett, Matt Blair, Robert Brazile, Randy Gradishar, Kevin Greene (LB/DE), Ken Harvey, Rickey Jackson, Wilber Marshall, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Pat Swilling, Darryl Talley, *Derrick Thomas, *Andre Tippett

? DEFENSIVE BACKS ' Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Raymond Clayborn (CB), Nolan Cromwell (S), Kenny Easley (S), Lester Hayes (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), Ken Riley (CB), Donnie Shell (S), Louis Wright (CB)

? KICKER/PUNTERS ' *Ray Guy (P), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P)

? SPECIAL TEAMS ' Elbert Shelley (S), Steve Tasker (WR)

? COACHES ' Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Clark Shaughnessy, Ernie Zampese

? CONTRIBUTORS ' K. S. 'Bud' Adams, Jr., Gil Brandt, C. O. Brocato, Leo Carlin, Ed DeBartolo, Jr., Pat Haggerty, Bob Harlan, Jerry Jones, Bucko Kilroy, Art McNally, Art Modell, Art Rooney, Jr., Ed Sabol, Steve Sabol, *Paul Tagliabue, Jim Tunney, Ralph Wilson, Jr., Ron Wolf, George Young

*On 2007 17 finalists list

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07303/829711-66.stm
Old 10-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: Former Steelers nominated for Hall

I honestly dont think that Hardy or Levon will ever be Hall of Famers. They were good players, but there is better LB's out there that are not in the HOF. I think that Greg Lloyd would be in the HOF before either of these 2 former Steelers LB's. Now, as far as C Dermontti Dawson and WR Chris Carter and OT Tony Boselli and DB Darrell Greene should or could be first time in guys. Dermontti is the best all around center in Steelers history in my opinion. He could pull or stay in position and pass block or just run over you in the run blocking. I know alot of people are gonna say Webster was the best, but Dermontti is the one that I remember seeing play his whole career. I remember our team having such a hard time giving NT Joel Steed the starting job because he didnt look that good in practice, but when they put him on the field against other Centers he was very good, so that just showed how good Dawson was at Center. Anyone that dont vote for DB Darrell Green first ballot should have their vote taken away..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Hardy Nickerson should get in. He put up great numbers, and although he never won a ring, he was an outstanding citizen on and off the field. Him and Warrick Dunn are both great examples of outstanding people who aren't nearly as recognized as they should be because they don't do asinine TD dances and the like.

Not sure about Kirkland, but Dirt Dawson should have been enshrined last year.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
JPPT1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5361
My Mood: Aggressive

Well we just have to take a wait and see attitude
Now don't we?!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,377 Posts

wow !!! i'm just shocked at some of the guys that aren't in yet.....
QUARTERBACK-Boomer Esiason,
RUNNING BACK-Ottis Anderson,
WIDE RECEIVERS -Art Monk,
TIGHT END-Mark Bavaro
OFFENSIVE LINEMEN-Dermontti Dawson
DEFENSIVE LINEMEN -Richard Dent
LINEBACKER-Derrick Thomas,
DEFENSIVE BACK-Donnie Shell
KICKER/PUNTERS -Ray Guy

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Completely agree with your assessment of Dirt. But I also think Kirkland is worthy - the guy was an animal. I still remember him covering Shannon Sharpe like a blanket and picking off an Elway pass intended for Sharpe during the opening drive of the '97 AFCCG. Amazing agility and speed for his size.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Completely agree with your assessment of Dirt. But I also think Kirkland is worthy - the guy was an animal. I still remember him covering Shannon Sharpe like a blanket and picking off an Elway pass intended for Sharpe during the opening drive of the '97 AFCCG. Amazing agility and speed for his size.
kirkland was a great linebacker,but look at some of the other linebackers on the list that were, just as, or even more so worthy, and they've been passed over for quite some time.( brazile)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
TIGHT END-Mark Bavaro
KICKER/PUNTERS -Ray Guy
I'll vote for Dawson & Guy.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
kirkland was a great linebacker,but look at some of the other linebackers on the list that were, just as, or even more so worthy, and they've been passed over for quite some time.( brazile)
Good point - Kirkland was a lot more recent than Brazile and Gradishar, for that matter. On top of that, he was a Steeler, so some of the things he did are more in the front of my mind than the things Brazile and Gradishar did. There's a reason I'm not a HoF voter.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,068 Times in 2,611 Posts

Quote:
TIGHT END-Mark Bavaro
KICKER/PUNTERS -Ray Guy
Quote:
Hardy Nickerson should get in. He put up great numbers, and although he never won a ring, he was an outstanding citizen on and off the field. Him and Warrick Dunn are both great examples of outstanding people who aren't nearly as recognized as they should be because they don't do asinine TD dances and the like.

kevin greene???

a big part of hall of fame voting is how you measure up to the peers of your time. if thats criteria, the only player more dominant at greenes position was lawrence taylor.

he put sack numbers up there with bruce smith and reggie white.

kevins stats and character speak for themselves. i thought he deserved 1st ballot and think it will be a travesty if he doesnt go in this year.