Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 10-31-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,885 Times in 3,482 Posts
Default ESPN - Top 5 NFL Rivalries

With Pats-Colts hype firing away, ESPN.com has a good read on the top 5 "modern" (post-1970 merger) NFL rivalries

Cowboys-Redskins 1970-83 is #1 and Raiders-Steelers 1972-77 is #2

Cowboys-Redskins got more media hype, but the Raiders-Steelers wars were noteworthy for both the level of violence and the amount of talent on the field:

It's an understatement to call this a rivalry. These games were so vicious that they easily could've been staged in a back alley. On one side stood the Raiders, a team that openly embraced a desire to intimidate any opponent that lined up across from it. On the other side were the Steelers, the most dominant team of the 1970s, a blue-collar bunch that backed down to nobody. When it came down to it, these two squads couldn't stand each other. ...

The main reason there was so much bitterness is that these teams were both blessed with insane talent (19 players who competed in these games have been inducted into the Hall of Fame) and they were constantly battling for the right to reach the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...fri&id=3086647

Good read

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 10-31-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117
Default Re: ESPN - Top 5 NFL Rivalries

Just because some one has played another team 4 or 5 times does not mean that they are a rival. The Colts have only been good for the last 3 or 4 years and I do not think they have a big rivalry. The closet think that they had in the past was Miami but they switched divisions, so maybe now it might be the Titans for the simple reason that they are the toughest team for Indy to beat. But A rivalry like Steelers v. Browns or Steelers v. Raiders or Steelers v. Cowboys or Cowboys v. Redskins, I do not think so. It is just media hype.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Nice read, Dan. Thanks.

Ahhhhhh - that article brings back a lot of memories of the Steelers/Raiders hate filled rivalry. I was just a young teenager when the rivalry began, but it's something as a Steelers fan, I've never forgotten. Sitting in our seats at TRS, you could just feel the intensity even before the opening coin toss. I loathed that Raiders team even more than I loathe the Bungles and Pats of today. Dirty, rotten scoundrels or - as Coach Noll called them - a criminal element.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Pats/Colts shouldn't be on that list. Until one of the Pats players/coaches ribs the Colts on or off the field or vice versa, It can't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Steelers/Raiders, Packers/Bears, or Cowboys/Redskins in terms of nastiness and prestige. This list is a joke.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Anything coming out of ESPN is a joke. Huge surprise they consider the patsies and Indy something other than what it really is.

For every game these two have played that meant anything there are 10 that decided who finished in last place, going back to the days when they were in the same division.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617

Well I guess the Steelrs and Browns never had one a rivalry according to them. I say we still do , Who hates the Ratbirds the most. And When , the browns get a great coach again the GReat rivalry will again happen between the two great team like before, if the No Fun League and the Mayor of Cleveland allows it.

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:00 AM   #7
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

hehe too bad lately isnt hasn't been as close... (except for last year.. that was just a speed bump)
Rhee Rhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617

It will happen again, it is like a pedulum, it swings both ways, I don't.

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Colts/Pats today is a good rivalry, reminds me of a pussier version of the Raiders/Steelers

Speaking of Raiders vs Steelers, one of my all-time favorite highlights is one of Mel Blount total jacking up a Raiders reciever (maybe Cliff Branch?) Anyhow, he pretty much DDT's the Raiders player. Anyone else remember the play I'm talking about?
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #10
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Pats/Colts shouldn't be on that list. Until one of the Pats players/coaches ribs the Colts on or off the field or vice versa, It can't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Steelers/Raiders, Packers/Bears, or Cowboys/Redskins in terms of nastiness and prestige. This list is a joke.
I agree 100%. Just because two teams are good at the same time doesn't make it a rivalry. To me, a great rivalry includes history, bad blood, and big games. Colts/Pats are just two teams who happen to be competitive right now. The day to day rivalry between teams in the AFC North, NFC East, and NFC North are way more intense than the Colts/Pats rivalry.