Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-01-2007, 01:12 AM   #1
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Kitna's Costume Caper

Quote:
Lions Quarterback Jon Kitna Regrets Scrutiny Created by "Naked" Coach Costume

By Larry Lage, AP Sports Writer
October 31, 2007

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- Detroit Lions quarterback Jon Kitna and his wife dressed up as a naked man and a fast-food drive-through attendant at a teammate's Halloween party, depicting an embarrassing moment for one of the team's assistant coaches.

Now Kitna is getting some flak on local TV and in a newspaper column. Kitna said he was just trying to have fun, but regrets the scrutiny the costumes created.

"If I would've known this, I wouldn't have done it because I didn't want to try to bring attention to it," Kitna said Wednesday while surrounded by reporters and television cameras.

Defensive line coach Joe Cullen pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct and guilty to impaired driving after he was arrested twice last year, once in August 2006 after police said he was driving nude through a Wendy's drive-through lane, and a week later when they said he was driving under the influence of alcohol.

Cullen later was sentenced to two years of probation and ordered to attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings twice a week.

"He's done everything they've asked of him," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said before this season started. "And, there's a lot more that he's had to do."

Marinelli said Kitna's costume was a non-issue with the team.

"It's Halloween," Marinelli said. "I'll leave it at that."

Cullen said "no comment" as he walked off the practice field Wednesday, but the team said it asked him if the costume bothered him.

"No, not at all," Cullen said in a statement released by the team. "It's in the past."

Kitna and his wife wore the costumes to a teammate's charity party Monday in suburban Detroit, where the prize for the best outfit was a car.

"All I was trying to do was wear a costume that people would have fun with," Kitna said. "I wasn't trying to demean Joe. If he hadn't come so far, I would not ever have done it. He's very confident of who he is and is very peaceful about what's happened in the past.

"When we talked yesterday, the first question out of his mouth was, `Did you win?' He seemed to not have a problem with it."

Defensive tackle Cory Redding backed that notion.

"He was still red this morning because Kitna didn't win," Redding said. "It was all fun and games."

Kitna, a born-again Christian who invites teammates to his house to explore their faith, also laughed at the costumes that poked fun at him and his wife.

"Somebody dressed up as me and my wife and came in Bible-thumping," Kitna said with a grin.
Kitna's Costume Caper

Last edited by fansince'76; 11-01-2007 at 01:24 AM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Kitna's Costume Caper

I guess he got the idea from his days as a bungle
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

I'm not sure anyone who'd drive naked through a drive-through really has the right to get offended. Maybe you shouldn't do that to a coach, but cmon, that's pretty funny.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,240 Times in 3,248 Posts

The assistant was in alcohol rehab after the incident - I am sure the Lions are delighted to have memories of that incident churned up - that coach has no doubt been roasted in the locker room for that conduct but for self-professed devout Christian Jon Kitna to go public and mock the incident is an interesting choice by a team leader
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464

is that sarah jessica parker? lol, his wife looks like her anyway. the costum itself is pretty funny looking.
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote