Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-12-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default The Eagles and McNabb

Having watched the Eagles get dismantled by the Cowboys at the weekend I have to admit to be being utterly bemused by some of the decisions made by Andy Reid.

First up, why is a clearly injured McNabb still QB in a game that has long since flown the coop?

Surely the only thing that is going to happen here is that McNabb is going to take an awful hit from a Cowboy D-man who knows that the Eagles are in pass only territory.

Koy Detmer is on the sideline - why isnt he on trying to get a feel for the ball in garbage time?

I seen Andy Reid talking to McNabb on the second to last Philly possession and was sure that they had agreed he would be pulled...but no....next series he is back in.

Is this weak Head Coaching? I think so - the only reason we havent heard alot more about this - is the fact McNabb and the Eagles got lucky and he didnt suffer any extra injuries.

Does anyone else think that Mcnabb should get surgery now and then be 100% for when the final run-in to the post season starts (surely the Eagles would be strong enough to win games against most NFC oposition without McNabb at QB?)

Also, I have to say I hate the the Eagles unbalanced pass-only offense - it really isnt doing any justice to a very talented team - and keeps their D on the field way too much.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #2
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: The Eagles and McNabb

I really admire McNabb for playing through the pain. But I have to wonder when too much is too much. I think he is pushing the limits now. I would hate to see him get hit big and make things even worse. Get the surgery now and come back when you can.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Steel - X
Team Captain

Member Number: 583

First off when the score was 30-? whatever in the third quarter when Reid was talking to Mcnafro after he limped off the field after making a series of 5-6 balls that were thrown horribly he should have been removed and replaced. I agree totally on that one.

Secondly I kind of am on the lines of disagreeing with the surgery. I for one do not think the Eagles would make the playoffs without Mcnabb behind center. I do not think Koy/McMahon could handle the system they run in Philly. The way it is set up just for passing and they can not change it now because they do not have a 20-25 touch back that can run the ball. Mcnabbs injury can not get worse by playing. The only thing that is hurting him is when he has to roll out of the pocket. The guy gets paid to play he is a warrior and wants to win. He is not coming out of the game. Where was all this talk the last 2 weeks when he was rolling up almost 400 yards and 4 TD's? He was injured then.

Side Note: This is not because he is on my large Dynasty Fantasy League at ALL, promise its not.

My Fantasy Football Website......NO LIMIT SPORTS

Steel - X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel - X
First off when the score was 30-? whatever in the third quarter when Reid was talking to Mcnafro after he limped off the field after making a series of 5-6 balls that were thrown horribly he should have been removed and replaced. I agree totally on that one.

Secondly I kind of am on the lines of disagreeing with the surgery. I for one do not think the Eagles would make the playoffs without Mcnabb behind center. I do not think Koy/McMahon could handle the system they run in Philly. The way it is set up just for passing and they can not change it now because they do not have a 20-25 touch back that can run the ball. Mcnabbs injury can not get worse by playing. The only thing that is hurting him is when he has to roll out of the pocket. The guy gets paid to play he is a warrior and wants to win. He is not coming out of the game. Where was all this talk the last 2 weeks when he was rolling up almost 400 yards and 4 TD's? He was injured then.

Side Note: This is not because he is on my large Dynasty Fantasy League at ALL, promise its not.
It a good point you make about McNabb's importance to the pass oriented Eagles offense - I think it would be key that he play if they were facing powerful opposition - however I think that the Eagles D should be able to handle most opposition in the NFC - even though they had a poor game against an inspired Dallas O.

I happen to think that McNabbs injury will get worse with time - even if its only the mental side that affects him.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Also, I have to say I hate the the Eagles unbalanced pass-only offense - it really isnt doing any justice to a very talented team - and keeps their D on the field way too much.

Anybody got any thoughts?
Looking at some stats for the last two Philly games and here's their rushing totals:
26 attempts for 47 yds while they've had close 80 pass plays.

Sounds llke Mike Martz is calling the plays instead of Andy Reid.

Has Michael Westbrook disappeared??
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:58 AM   #6
Steel - X
Team Captain

Member Number: 583

Michael has but Brian has not. Westrbook to me is not a typical 20-25 attempt back, to me I think they are almost nervous to get him the ball due to lack of depth on the rb side of the ball.

My Fantasy Football Website......NO LIMIT SPORTS

Steel - X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel - X
Michael has but Brian has not. Westrbook to me is not a typical 20-25 attempt back, to me I think they are almost nervous to get him the ball due to lack of depth on the rb side of the ball.

Ooops!
Thanks for the correction.....I meant Brian Westbrook.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:18 PM   #8
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Well, the unbalanced offense is just a symptom of a true West Coast Offense. There's a reason why Westbrook ranked up with the WR's as one of the leading receivers in the league last year...why run him when you can throw to him and give him a little space to work in?

As for McNabb being in the game, I truly don't understand that...this isn't the first time Reid has made some bizarre calls concerning his starting QB, though..
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,094 Times in 4,590 Posts

ried is getting a lttle enamoured with his passing game. this could haunt them even with a HEALTHY d. mac. i say you let mcnabb play. although its not the same many thought owens shouldnt have been playing in last years sb and he proved the world wrong. imo mcnabb has earned the same type of leeway given to b. farve. if he wants to play let him. i think philly knows they wouldnt be crap w/o him. plus the giants and cowboys arent proving to be the pushovers everyone expected. washington neither althou i dont think they are going anywhere fast.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote