Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886
Default West Coast Offense, 3 Step Drop

Considering that the Ravens run at times a crazier blitz scheme than the Steelers do at times. I was thinking it may be to the offenses advantage to use west cost type offense. Ben should take a three step drop and throw the ball. If he sits their and waits for his second and third wide receiver to get open he may spend a lot of time on his back.

The Steelers are going to have to throw the rock because the Ravens are second behind us in rush defense. Also all the improvising and moving around in the pocket may not be a good idea against the Ravens. The best way to move the ball in the beginning of the game is to dink and dunk passes down the field.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082
Default Re: West Coast Offense, 3 Step Drop

I have doubts we will run consistently on the Ravens. I do think Ben can win with his arm, as long as he has time. Which again I am skeptical. You may be right about 3 step drops, then slants with Santonio and Miller up the middle. That will open up run a little. I am sure coaches have watched film and hopefully have a game plan that isn't run on first and second, throw on 3rd and 7 or 8. It may not look pretty, but if we don't turn the ball over I guarantee we win. No way Ravens score on us like last year. I know everyone wants to run first, and ideally I would too. I think running is more important against high powered offenses like Pats and Colts than teams like the Ravens. So we go three and out a couple of times, it's not like we fear their offense. I say open it up a little first like we did 2 years ago against Colts, and then run late in the game.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post
Considering that the Ravens run at times a crazier blitz scheme than the Steelers do at times. I was thinking it may be to the offenses advantage to use west cost type offense. Ben should take a three step drop and throw the ball. If he sits their and waits for his second and third wide receiver to get open he may spend a lot of time on his back.

The Steelers are going to have to throw the rock because the Ravens are second behind us in rush defense. Also all the improvising and moving around in the pocket may not be a good idea against the Ravens. The best way to move the ball in the beginning of the game is to dink and dunk passes down the field.
quick reads are not BR's strength.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
Steeldude
Living Legend

if the ravens are smart they will do the exact samething the broncos did. stack the line and force BR to win with his arm.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

i have doubts that any of our other recievers besides heath and santonio can explode off the LOS and get that bit of separation against solid corners like chris mcalister and samari rolle.... ed reed may even come up and man up on heath... not a good thing..
Rhee Rhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i have doubts that any of our other recievers besides heath and santonio can explode off the LOS and get that bit of separation against solid corners like chris mcalister and samari rolle.... ed reed may even come up and man up on heath... not a good thing..
Yes I tend to agree, if it were that easy then we would have of done it last year. Expect to see their whole defense up on the line of scrimmage.

I would think a trips set to the wide side of the field and a rub off route to Holmes deep early might be our only hope of getting them off the line of scrimmage

Man the Steelers better be ready to go, because I don't think we can afford a slow start against these guys

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:48 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,103 Posts

I belive tomlin will have something up his sleeve I just hope we can keep pressure of ben.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
Boomerang
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7503

I don,t think this will be a high scoring game but we have the players to get the W and smart play calling will play its part.

"Don't doubt me, because that's when I get stronger.. ..Marvin Hagler
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I don't think we should completely change our offense. If we feel the need to throw early to help the run that's fine. After all, we have done that in the past without going all west coast.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 11-02-2007 at 08:33 PM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
if the ravens are smart they will do the exact samething the broncos did. stack the line and force BR to win with his arm.

That didn't work. He actually almost won that game with his arm. The D lost that game.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote