Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts
Default Enola Gay Pilot Passes

What a tradgedy. The deaths and injuries. It was a very difficult decision but the right thing to do IMO. It shortened the war and saved countless American lives. And that's what I care about.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/pilot-w...00010000000001

~ 3 Doors Down

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 11-02-2007 at 06:52 AM.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 AM   #2
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617
Default Re: A-Bomb saved thousands!

click

Quote:
Paul Tibbets, pilot who bombed Hiroshima, dies at 92

To the end of his days, Paul Warfield Tibbets Jr. believed that dropping the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima was a justifiable means of shortening World War II and preserving the lives of hundreds of thousands of American servicemen who military experts said might have died in a final Allied invasion of Japan.

For Tibbets, the pilot whose bombing run unleashed the devastating explosive force and insidious nuclear radiation that leveled two-thirds of the city and killed at least 80,000 people, there was never any need to apologize.

"I never lost a night's sleep over it," Tibbets said of the Aug. 6, 1945, attack.

The Army Air Forces officer died Thursday at his home in Columbus, Ohio. He was 92 and, according to his longtime friend Gerry Newhouse, had been in declining health over the last few years and died of heart failure.

To millions of detractors, the nuclear attack on Hiroshima was a cosmic example of man's inhumanity to man, an act that left the world teetering on the brink of self-annihilation.

"I made one great mistake in my life -- when I signed a letter to President [Franklin D.] Roosevelt recommending that an atomic bomb be made," said pioneering physicist Albert Einstein, one of the first to conceive of such a weapon.

Months after authorizing the attack, President Truman commiserated with Tibbets at the White House about the criticism over dropping the bomb.

"It was my decision," Truman told him. "You didn't have a choice."

On the 60th anniversary of the bombing, Tibbets told the Columbus Dispatch that he knew when he got the assignment "it was going to be an emotional thing."

"We had feelings, but we had to put them in the background. We knew it was going to kill people right and left," Tibbets said. "But my one driving interest was to do the best job I could so that we could end the killing as quickly as possible."

Tibbets was more than just the pilot of the propeller-driven, four-engine bomber that made the historic mission.

Described by his commandant, Gen. Henry H. "Hap" Arnold, as "the best damned pilot" in the Army Air Forces, Tibbets was hand-picked to lead the mysterious 509th Composite Group, the first military unit formed to wage nuclear war. Three days after the bombing of Hiroshima, another plane from the 509th leveled much of Nagasaki with another nuclear bomb, prompting the Japanese surrender.

Tibbets chose the planes that flew those missions -- specially reconfigured B-29s, then the largest operational aircraft on Earth, stripped of armament and armor plating to lighten them for their extended journeys.

He selected the combat veterans who manned the bombers. Many of the crewmen were personal friends who had flown missions with him over Nazi-occupied Western Europe and North Africa.

Tibbets picked an isolated air base straddling the Nevada-Utah border where the men of the 509th trained for their ultra-secret mission. And he drove his men hard, weeding out those who fell short or talked too much about what they were doing.

Proud, prickly and a perfectionist, Tibbets never doubted that he was the man for the job.

Born in Quincy, Ill., on Feb. 23, 1915, he moved to Florida with his parents while still a child. His father, a candy distributor, hired popular barnstormer Doug Davis to fly over Hialeah racetrack as a promotional stunt. Davis piloted the Waco biplane while the 12-year-old Tibbets tossed handfuls of Baby Ruth bars to the crowd below.

"From that day on, I knew I had to fly," Tibbets said.

Tibbets' father, a believer in discipline, shipped his son off to Western Military Academy in Alton, Ill., the next year. Tibbets liked the military life and despite subsequent premedical studies at the universities of Cincinnati and Florida, he enlisted as a flying cadet in 1937 with the Army Air Corps at Ft. Thomas, Ky.

By late summer 1942 -- nine months after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor that thrust America into World War II against the Axis powers of Germany, Japan and Italy -- Tibbets was flying some of the first U.S. bombing raids over German-held targets in Western Europe. Two months later, he led the bombing runs supporting the American landings in North Africa.

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: Enola Gay Pilot Passes

One of the tragedies of WW2 was that it wasn't a war of armies, it was a war of people. Up to and including WW I, military doctrine followed Clauswitz: you win by eliminating your opponent's ability to make war; ie, you defeat/destroy his army. But in the '30s the Japanese attacked China by waging genocidal slaughter on its populace, and we all know about the Holocaust. When the Germans bombed London and the Allies bombed Berlin, the concept of population as strategic target became doctrine.

There was no way to stop the Japanese army until the leaders understood that to continue would mean the end of their entire culture. Tojo was completely unrepentant up to and including the moment the noose tightened and his neck snapped.

, Col Tibbets.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617
Default Re: Enola Gay Pilot Passes

That is exactly what the suicide bombers are doing now, taking out the assemblage in a given area. With enough of this they feel they have a victory due to the fact the peoples outcry will prevail for an end, thus they win.

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote