Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Anthony Smith: Good or Bad

do you guys believe that anthony smith is a good thing for the steelers or a bad? when i say this i dont mean by this by if he is good or not but how he plays. personally i love how he plays, he is probably the most assertive player on the roster right now. he gets unessesary(spelling) roughness penalties on him every once in a while and gets in scruffles on special teams plays nearly every time. i think he brings a prescense with him because he hits like a train and is a big threat.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts
Default Re: Anthony Smith: Good or Bad

Having Carter and Smith back there is like 2 frat boys who are rowdy enough separately getting completely out of control when they are together. Given Taylor's propensity to yap, Townsend is the only adult supervision back there with Troy and Clark out.

I like the httting, but when Carter + Smith engage in the extracurriculars after the tackle I keep waiting for the flag. That will hurt at some point.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
do you guys believe that anthony smith is a good thing for the steelers or a bad? when i say this i dont mean by this by if he is good or not but how he plays. personally i love how he plays, he is probably the most assertive player on the roster right now. he gets unessesary(spelling) roughness penalties on him every once in a while and gets in scruffles on special teams plays nearly every time. i think he brings a prescense with him because he hits like a train and is a big threat.
he needs to learn how to tackle better. he doesn't wrap-up. he is too obsessed with trying to hit the guy as hard as he can. which is fine if you make contact, but he whiffs too much. he has a "me" attitude that needs to be corrected. his coverage skills on long plays isn't too swift either.

but this is basically his rookie year in a way. hopefully he learns the finer points of the game. as of now he thinks hitting and dancing are the only things needed.

he definitely has the hard hitting aspect of the game down.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Every time Smith, Carter, or Taylor tackle anyone I am worried about a Taunting flag being thrown.

I like them all, but all it's going to take is some trigger happy ref to throw the flag at a critical time in the game that will cost us big time.

He plays good though. I saw him covering Chad Johnson down the field on long passes and he was right there with him.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Having Carter and Smith back there is like 2 frat boys who are rowdy enough separately getting completely out of control when they are together. Given Taylor's propensity to yap, Townsend is the only adult supervision back there with Troy and Clark out.

I like the httting, but when Carter + Smith engage in the extracurriculars after the tackle I keep waiting for the flag. That will hurt at some point.
I don't think that point can be said better Dan! I too was just simply waiting for the flag to fly when Carter and Smith made a tackle or hit.

Back to the subject of the thread, I think Smith is neither good nor bad for the team just yet. He's still raw and undiciplined, though gifted with hitting abilities. I believe that Tomlin has the knack for coaching secondary players especially, so I think that with a little care, Smith can develop into a maniac saftey that makes smart decisions. (or is that a possible combination?)

But right now, at this point in time given the injuries to Clark and Troy, I don't think he adds much.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Townsend is the only adult supervision back there with Troy and Clark out.
That is a very funny way of putting it. I just picture Townsend shaking his head like a disapproving father when some of his boys back there start yapping.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
FastWillieParker39
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4348

Smith I'm actually fine with. It's Carter who I want off the team. He makes one decent play and acts like he jacked up somebody.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastWillieParker39 View Post
Smith I'm actually fine with. It's Carter who I want off the team. He makes one decent play and acts like he jacked up somebody.
i dont mind either one of them at all, they give our defense a badass attitude
Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

I like the energy that they (Smith & Carter) bring to the D. I think they are very intense and want to make a statement. Let's hope the next statement is made to the PATS!
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

When Carter and Smith play safety it honestley makes me wish there was a MS (Middle saftey) in the NFL lol... I love when those two get to play together... And TBH Carter has played better than Troy this year (I hate to say it)