Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 11-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903
Default The Dilemma...

So I was browsing Steelers.com today and although there have been no new stories or anything else about it...I couldn't help but notice Dan Krieder still being on the second team...

Does anyone have any insight to why Carey Davis is still above Dan Krieder?

Anyone expect to see more of Dan this weekend? This season?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: The Dilemma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
So I was browsing Steelers.com today and although there have been no new stories or anything else about it...I couldn't help but notice Dan Krieder still being on the second team...

Does anyone have any insight to why Carey Davis is still above Dan Krieder?

Anyone expect to see more of Dan this weekend? This season?
I have no idea, Jman. I agree with 99.9% of everything Tomlin has done thus far, but that one still befuddles me. Davis has played fairly well, in his defense, but I'd still rather have the experienced vet in the bouncer role.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I have no idea, Jman. I agree with 99.9% of everything Tomlin has done thus far, but that one still befuddles me. Davis has played fairly well, in his defense, but I'd still rather have the experienced vet in the bouncer role.
I agree also! Plus, Fast Willie came out in the preseason and says that he likes Kreider being in front of him.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Coach Tomlin addressed this issue in his September 11th press conference:

Quote:
Specifically on Carey, he did exactly what we anticipated him doing. He’s a very athletic guy from a fullback standpoint. He can get hats on people in space. He’s a great perimeter lead blocker. He showed up big time for us in the special teams game. He emerged in that area before he emerged as a runner and as a fullback specifically. He made a big play for us in the kicking game. What we do offensively in terms of who starts, I think, at times that can be overblown. It depends on how we want to attack people. We can start in two tight ends; we can start in three wides; we can start out with Carey or we can start out with Dan (Kreider). Dan is still a great isolation, short-yardage blocker. When we had some time consuming drives in the second half, it was because Dan was playing fullback. We just want to be multiple. We have what we believe to be a lot of weapons. We want to use them all. Of course we can’t use them all at the same time. Last week’s game plan dictated that Carey got the start. Maybe next week’s game plan dictates that (Matt) Spaeth gets the start, or maybe Dan gets the start. We’re not worried about who starts. Everybody has got to be ready to contribute and that’s our mentality in regards to those men.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

i heard that kreider got a concussion too against the ravens.... idk i feel dan kreider is the premier blocking FB in the league but maybe arians wants like a more athletic and younger FB that can catch and run with the ball... not just knock the living crap out of a brownie
Rhee Rhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
steelwolf21
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5481

I was under the impression that Carey had the better hands and thus could make catches out of the backfield and then run better than kreider with the ball in the hand, which brings up a question i had about the game with the ratbirds. That goaline series after Ben went out, they did the play-action pass to the FB, good play call, but why was Krieder in there instead of Davis? We know Krieder isn't exactly the greatest hands on the team, that's all right he's a living bulldozer, but like I said I thought we had Davis for exactly that situation. Any ideas?
steelwolf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Davis had some spectacular blocks protecting Ben last week.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

The dropped pass on the Full back in the flat play at the goal line is exactly the type of thing that put and keeps Dan on the 2nd team now. He's great for blocking, but the idea is to have the full back be able to run with the ball or catch it, so this way the defense isn't keying on his lead blocking and identifying run. Davis would have most likely caught that ball. I guess they were giving Dan a chance to prove himself...and he dropped the ball.

He's a great lead blocker, the rest is average. We need better from our fullback than just blocking. That is why Davis is getting more looks and time in the offense.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
The dropped pass on the Full back in the flat play at the goal line is exactly the type of thing that put and keeps Dan on the 2nd team now.
Agreed that Dan's forte is not receiving. However, to be fair, Batch's pass was behind him. Charlie's got to know that there's no margin for error with a pass to Kreider
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

To be fair to Charlie, he didn't get sacked, he made the correct reads, the ball was on target and it hit his man in the hands. That ball must be caught. Bottom line.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote