Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,087 Times in 4,587 Posts
Default Re: New York Sun Article: Big Ben May Be Nearing Ranks of Brady, Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
Thats what cracked me up when people labeled Ben a game manager they never looked as his yards per attempt or TD percentage.....If anybody would have took the time they would have seen that Ben was always very good in those two categories......If he would have the attempts his passing yards and TD passes would have been higher...True his INTs also would have been higher with more attempts.....Last year I give Ben a break due to all the physical and mental set backs.....So his yards per attempt and TD percentage were down last year....

This year though Ben is among the best yards per attempt and TD percentage....The guy is on pace for 40 TD passes....Thats just crazy thinking a Steelers QB could throw 40 TD passes in a season...Plus even though Ben is on pace for over 400 attempts his INTs are way down from last year.....On pace for 12 which is great........considering the style of football Ben plays...some say its careless but I think he has some Terry Bradshaw or Brett Favre in him in thinking he can make any play/throw like those guys did/do.....To me I want my QB to have guts....
great points. i was looking at bens vs bradys pass attempts this year. ben has 100 fewer pass attempts. he averages 1 td for every 10 attempts. extrapolate that and ben would have 30td's.

but brady has played 1 more game than ben so a more accurate measure will include his numbers from the cleveland game this week.

as far as im concerned ben coulda easilly put up 3-4 more td's against the ravens in the 2nd half.

bens in good company so far this season. he is playing like a 30 year old.

and i totally agree on his mistakes being a product of youth and having favre and bradshaw like characteristics, of a gambler, gunslinger, let er rip mentality.

holmgren commented on favre after the cheifs win saying farve never had that pretty deep ball when he had him. so if favre had room to improve, im sure ben does to.

somebody else i heard compared bens ability to throw across his body to that of elway, and then was saying most qb's cant get away with that. ben always hasnt (although he did last week) elway always didnt either.

now im not crowning him, but its his aspiration to be mentioned with these guys. i read something that indicated he still keeps in tough with marino on a regular basis to pick his brain.

as long as he stays healthy, it should be a fun (and expensive) ride.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #22
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: New York Sun Article: Big Ben May Be Nearing Ranks of Brady, Manning

The numbers all work together. The reason BR has a high ypa and few passes is when the Steelers need a yard or two they are going to run the ball, and the Pats and Colts both use the passing game for ball control, while the Steelers use it to gain yards in chunks.

Great read. Let the naysayers yell "game manager" all they want, I'm looking forward to watching BR manage games for the next 10 years, and see ya in the playoffs, suckas.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #23
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
but but but................what about Carson??????????????????????????
He's still a great Pro Bowl MVP
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #24
JDB in N.C.
Water Boy

Location: I live in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina.
Member Number: 4909

I really like the way Arians has releassed the reins on Ben this year.

He will grow into an amazing quarterback that way.

My concern is the offensive line playing better. You know Ben was scrambling a lot and eluding the pass rushers to make those plays aqainst the ravens.

Not like Tom Brady who can sit back in the pocket and make a sandwich before he has to get rid of the ball.
JDB in N.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,087 Times in 4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB in N.C. View Post

Not like Tom Brady who can sit back in the pocket and make a sandwich before he has to get rid of the ball.
brady can impregnate 3 supermodels in the time it takes the pass rush to reach him (im not sure thats a compliment).
Old 11-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #26
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

It's still early, but Anderson could wind up making the AFC Pro-Bowl roster as the conference's third quarterback, behind guys named Brady and Manning. What if he does become an all-star, or even better, leads the Browns to the playoffs for the first time since 2002? As far as the future in Cleveland, it could be a Frerotte over Shuler situation all over again

That was from a sports illustrated writer getting ready to "blow" Anderson after 3 straight wins, 2 in which were winless teams. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Ben should be mentioned ahead of Peyton this year. Anderson in Pro Bowl, give me a break. If , and thats a big if, he puts up some good numbers agains us I will start to give him credit.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #27
AFC
Water Boy

Member Number: 6619

Nice read!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #28
43SteelCurtainRevolution
Water Boy

Member Number: 7602

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
brady can impregnate 3 supermodels in the time it takes the pass rush to reach him (im not sure thats a compliment).
Ben could be Brady-like if his O-line protected him better

Great post.
43SteelCurtainRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #29
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
but but but................what about Carson??????????????????????????
I know, I keep hearing about that Palmer guy being the best in the AFCN, if thats true how is Ben the best in the NFL?? It doesnt make sense! GAHHH!!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #30
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts

Quote:
now im not crowning him,
GO AHEAD AND CROWN HIS ASS !!! HE IS, WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS !!!!!...............

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote